Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2001, 09:41 PM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Efreeti_Genie and I have been talking about Wyverns and Genies and such which has inspired the question:

How did you come to choose the handle you use here/online??

My own story for the choice of Wyvern can be found in another thread. Oh, okay - the short version is that back in the middle ages when I joined Compu$erve (and 300 baud was fast) I was reading a book about dragons and their kin and liked the looks of the wyvern. Voila!!
Besides, with a name like Wyvern, I can do things like "wyving" which sounds far more uplifting and interesting that draging

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 09:57 PM   #2
ozzbod

Lack of imagination!! Besides all the good ones were taken.

Thought about using gargoyle, looked up the correct spelling in my dictionary which says grotesques spout projecting from gutter!! Needless to say thought better about that one, (then again, this dictionary I have picked up from somewhere, someone has kindly circled in red the word pox and ever so thoughtfully put in their own explanation!)

Thought about one of the characters from the Lensman series, but that would be showing my age! Ones such as sexychick and the such are a bit cheesey, so settled on ozzbod. ozz - aussie- australian, bod - body. Boring I know, but proud to be an Aussie.

Great idea for thread though.
Old 01-03-2001, 10:01 PM   #3
tritone

Oh, mine has nothing to do with WW actually. A tritone is simply a musical term for an interval of three tones.... I chose it simply because I've been using it for ages for all kinds of forums I visit, and it kind of looks cool. The tritone is a feature found in the music of one of my favourite composers, Jean Sibelius.

Um, I suppose at a fantasy game forum, I could try to pass it off as some kind of Greek sea monster...
Old 01-03-2001, 11:01 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I've used "Sazerac" as an online handle and as a PC name for some time. The name dates back to the 1830's in New Orleans with the invention of the Sazerac cocktail, then a bar by the same name. Eventually, a certain type of jazz came to be known as "Sazerac" jazz as well. Sinatra picked up the threads of this musical expression and popularized it in the 40's and 50's, as did Bobby Darin and others.

Since I'm originally from Louisiana, the name has some local color to it. Plus, not many people know about it, so it makes a great name. It's one of the few names I was able to use at Hotmail that didn't have to have numbers appended to it, for example.

Hence the name, "Sazerac": 1) A cocktail first made of brandy and absinthe, with a dash of bitters; later, the absinthe would be subsituted with Anisette when the sale of absinthe was outlawed, 2) A type of "bathtub and rooftob" jazz, 3) A wild wizard of the same name who enjoys both.

Cheers,
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 11:14 PM   #5
Gauleiter

While my dad was stationed at Ramstein AFB, Germany, my family became friends with the local Gauleiter, roughly a "regional commander." Local political officers appointed by the federal government to administrate the various provinces of Germany, they've been around for hundreds of years. The name was made famous in WWII, when Hitler appointed Gauleiters to govern the various NAZI territories in his name -- this understandably gave the name a rather bad connotation, and (once again, understandably) the name was changed to something wierd but neutral after the war was over. But everyone still called them Gauleiters when we lived there.

Herr Kolb was his name, a fat man who played the piano beautifully and laughed a lot Curious man to name myself after, and I occasionally get some crazed guy who calls me a NAZI (anybody remember the informal Usenet rule, Godwin's Law I think it was, that predicted 1: when a discussion gets long enough, somebody is gonna eventually call someone else a NAZI, and 2: the person who does the calling automatically loses), but I miss the old guy and I've been Gauleiter since the Warcraft 2 days -- which I know aren't all that long ago for some of you, but six years is a sizeable chunk of my young life.

BTW, it's pronounced "gow lighter", two syllables.
Old 01-03-2001, 11:15 PM   #6
Moni

I am just lazy & lucky enough to be named Monique for reals...look how easy it is to type lol Moni Moni Moni Moni Moni
& I don't wanna hear any crap about pony ridin either lol, I already have friends who play the song whenever I enter a room online ; )
Old 01-04-2001, 12:17 AM   #7
Dwarf

Let's get one thing straight, I am not Dwarf, I am Balgin the Dwarf.For first reasons pronounciation, the Bal is pronounced "bal" as in "balance" not as in "ball" and the "g" is hard as in "ground" not as in "page".Now firstly I have used this name before (In Diablo/ D2 I was known variably as Korved,Vivain (pronounced "The Vain", a personal joke),Kundar,Thrud,Arinvar,Guthram, and many other names).My taste in names aside (Tolkienesque, Nordic, Saxon, and generally interesting names that I make up) I noticed that most internet people use the same user name on various forums and that if you start a new character most of the teenaged idiots on bnet don't recognise you.Bearing this in mind I sat down and decided that Balgin was a good sounding Dwarfish name (I was going to use Finrik but it contained the Ice rune twice and, combined with the others is a bad name, whereas Balgin contains healthier runes (Norse and Germ runes, the Saxon ones are just too many)).So when Revenant came out I was Balgin.I then became known as Balgin the dwarf (due to my uncanny ability to keep maps of where I had been in my head and give people directions out of various dungeons for about three months) and I liked it.I am known on at least two or three other forums as Balgin and didn't want to confuse people.Now, when I started out on this forum I was asked to provide a user name and a nickname.I set the user name as Balgin and the nickname as Dwarf.I didn't know that all of my messages where going to be posted by nickname instead of user name (unlike certain other boards).I haven't bothered trying to change my Nickname to Balgin in case no one recognises me so I just stuck with my misfortune.So there you have it.That's the story behind my name.
Old 01-04-2001, 03:27 AM   #8
carg
The Magister

Carg is pretty boring: just the first two chars from my first name, and the last two from my last name. It just has some sentimental value to me, because the first program I wrote, back in high school, I contributed to an imaginary firm called CARG software.
Perhaps I'd better have chosen komodo, to stay in tune with the other members of the dragon family on this board, like Wyv and Drukus.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 04:14 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Davros is an obvious nickname for someone named David, especially if you were going to school in the early Tom Baker days of Dr Who.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 04:15 AM   #10
Lily the Ranger

I used to be a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anacronysm) - don't know how it is spelled we just said SCA. A group dedicated to recreating the Middle Ages more pleasant and shining moments. I chose the name Lillian . . . and have named every character Lily since. I am in love with irises (flag lilies) and it is me. When gaming, I have always played rangers or druids. Herbs and wanting to talk with the animals.