Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2001, 06:25 AM   #1
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

The General Agreement for Trade in Services is moving forward behind closed doors. The beginning framework for GATS was agreed at the 1994 round of talks in 1994, when the WTO was created. The overall aim of GATS is to progressively move towards global trade liberalisation, gradually removing restrictions that are considered barriers to trade in the area of service delivery (including health and education.) (i.e. it's an agenda for privatisation across all WTO member countries.)

GATS is a big priority for the UK government, which is willing (though spends a lot of time saying not) to put up with privatising services in its own patch because it's one of the world's top service exporters, and expects to make a mint from selling services to developing countries around the world, as does the US, which IS the world’s top service exporter.

I am most concerned about the impact that GATS will have on the way we live, both in the West, and in developing countries. It will cede more and more power to big business, whilst removing that power from government. Essentially, democracy, where elected government takes decisions on what is best for citizens (ok, it doesn’t always work that way, but it’s the best we’ve got) will be replaced by the GATS Dispute Panel, which will determine whether a law or regulation is ‘more burdensome than necessary’ (to business, that is.) GATS is business oriented, not people oriented, and no, they are NOT necessarily the same thing! So far, GATS has been primarily driven by the big US corporations which stand to make most out of it. Companies like Citicorp, and Amex.

What can we do about GATS? A public debate about it would be a good start. Currently both business and government seem to be keeping very quite about GATS, except to reassure us every so often that it won't really make any difference...... What do you think? Or do you think that’s what good for business is good for all of us, because ultimately the benefits trickle down. (I have some great statistics on the increasing gaps between the world’s rich and poor, if anyone’s interested. It’s widening, by the way.)
Old 08-27-2001, 08:37 AM   #2
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, you are obviously more knowledgeable than I am, Silver cheetah! But I agree: GATS stinks. It is an open door for profiteering corporations to extort as much as they can for themselves regardless of the economies of poorer nations.
Everything has to be profit-based rather than people-based or survival-based. Corporations and Monetarism are well on the way to destroying us all for the sake of short-term profit for the minority.
One day, the world will rise up against them - like the French Revolution - and destroy them. The problem will be to put something better in its place.

------------------

Old 08-27-2001, 09:02 AM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I will answer this but need a little time to formulate a 'good' answer rather than a thrown together reply **alla Fjlotsdale **

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 08-27-2001, 09:18 AM   #4
Fljotsdale

Moridin?

Had to make SOME comment - she's a newbie and should be encouraged, lol!
I'll let you do the clever stuff

PS:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM SILVER CHEETAH!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 08-27-2001).]
Old 08-27-2001, 11:18 AM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Yes, thanks, I agree. I wonder though, if we shouldn’t talk about ‘the world’ as though it is something separate from ourselves. In the words of the song ‘we are the world’, and it’s down to us to make a difference. Don’t misunderstand me, I am not a ‘down with business’ person – we all need to live, after all, and as you imply, at present there is nothing else to put in the place of the profit motif. But I think that individuals can take their own small steps away from globalisation, and towards supporting their own local economies.

One such step might be to buy from local producers wherever possible – where I live in Brighton, for example, and over much of the UK, it is possible to order boxes of fresh fruit and veg in season from local farmers, rather than stuff that has been shipped from the US, or New Zealand. Certainly there are many products that cannot be produced here, mangoes and pineapples for example! we don’t see many of those growing hereabouts, and it makes sense to buy these luxury goods from where they come from. But to buy US potatoes when they are growing locally, that seems like madness to me. (Not to mention environmentally a disaster!). With other products - well, if I'm confronted with apples in a shop, then I'd always rather buy the UK ones than those from far away. Same goes for almost any product, really, unless the one from far away really does have a strong reason to buy attached to it - if it's fairly traded, for example. Fairly traded foodstuffs usually can't be produced in the UK anyway - bananas, coffee, tea etc.

Old 08-27-2001, 11:22 AM   #6
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

I should be encouraged, I should, I should! Please encourage me!!!!!

Really looking forward to your answer, Moridin. I do like this posting thing, tis fun!! Good job I got rid of my tv not long ago, - I have a feeling posting could get quite addictive, not to mention time consuming.....

ps. i have no idea what the different smilies mean - well, some are obvious, others not so. Is there a list of explanations somewhere? Help!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 11:28 AM   #7
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks for the welcome - tis much appreciated!!

How do I make a nice signature of my own, fljotsdale - everyone else has such nice signatures and I don't have one..... (sad now....)

Old 08-27-2001, 11:39 AM   #8
Fljotsdale

Gosh - no good asking me about signatures, Silver Cheetah! I had to get someone else to do mine. But I will go into the back pages and see if I can find a thread about it for you. Also, there are some real whizz-kids on this forum who will be delighted to help when they know you want it!

Hope this works - signature info thread: http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/No...ML/001516.html

About smilies. Start a new post and look at the left of the text window. You will see 4 comments:

Your reply

*HTML is ON
*UBB Code is ON

Smilies Legend

Options

Found 'em? Ok. Click on Smilies Legend and a new window will open showing the smilies and what they mean. Copy the formula on the left of the smilie you want to use and paste it into your page. Easy!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 08-27-2001).]
Old 08-27-2001, 11:41 AM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Welcome to the forum Silver Cheetah!

As for your post, here are my thoughts

Quote:

The General Agreement for Trade in Services is moving forward behind closed doors. The beginning framework for GATS was agreed at the 1994 round of talks in 1994, when the WTO was created. The overall aim of GATS is to progressively move towards global trade liberalisation, gradually removing restrictions that are considered barriers to trade in the area of service delivery (including health and education.) (i.e. it's an agenda for privatisation across all WTO member countries.)
It is not an agenda for ‘privatisation’ across all WTO member countries! It is an agreement to allow for an increase in competition, which will lead to an increase in the quality of services provided, a decrease in cost of those services, an increase in labor wages in developing countries, and an increase in economic stability in those developing countries

Quote:

GATS is a big priority for the UK government, which is willing (though spends a lot of time saying not) to put up with privatising services in its own patch because it's one of the world's top service exporters, and expects to make a mint from selling services to developing countries around the world, as does the US, which IS the world’s top service exporter.
I am assuming the above is a mistatement by you. From the way your post is written it seems that you are saying that the UK Government will make a mint by selling services to developing countries? Is this really what you meant or did you mean that corporations will make a mint selling services? Please clarify and I will respond

Quote:

I am most concerned about the impact that GATS will have on the way we live, both in the West, and in developing countries. It will cede more and more power to big business, whilst removing that power from government.
Where are your facts to back up these claims? GATS will in no way remove power from the government. Each and every member countries government is allowed to decide whether to open their country up to outside services. If they feel it is the best interest of their citizens (like you say a democracy is supposed to do) then and only then will an outside service provider be allowed to ‘set up shop’ so to speak in that country. With that initial provision that the government is given the right to allow or not allow outside service, they are also allowed to put limits and parameters on the outside service provider. For example if a US bank wishes to open branches in Peru, the Peruvian Government can say no, we do not want your business or yes we wish you to set up branches. If they say yes, then the Peruvian Government will tell the US bank how many branches they can open, the amount of transactions they are allowed to conduct…and so on.

Quote:
Essentially, democracy, where elected government takes decisions on what is best for citizens (ok, it doesn’t always work that way, but it’s the best we’ve got) will be replaced by the GATS Dispute Panel, which will determine whether a law or regulation is ‘more burdensome than necessary’ (to business, that is.)
Again a false statement. The dispute panel is set up for Governments of member nations to dispute trade laws and policies. Individuals and Corporations are not allowed to bring up disputes in front of the Dispute panel, only Governments. The Dispute Panel cannot change or enforce laws or regulations in any member country (on the federal, state, or local level). The decision of the dispute panel usually means that the ‘winning’ member country is allowed to place trade restrictions (usually in the form of tarriffs) on the ‘losing’ country until the ‘losing’ country comes into line with what the Dispute Panel deems fair.

Quote:
GATS is business oriented, not people oriented, and no, they are NOT necessarily the same thing! So far, GATS has been primarily driven by the big US corporations which stand to make most out of it. Companies like Citicorp, and Amex.
GATS IS NOT business orientated! It is set up to allow free trade in services between member nations, nothing more nothing less. It is not an agreement to allow for the mistreatment of the public by corporations. It is not set up to increase the profits of corporations. It is not set up to take-advantage of developing countries. It is merely an agreement which sets an equal playing field for all member countries. While the US and UK are big players on this field, fortunately they have no more say than any other member country. One vote per country! I will address this more in another post!

Quote:
What can we do about GATS? A public debate about it would be a good start. Currently both business and government seem to be keeping very quite about GATS, except to reassure us every so often that it won't really make any difference...... What do you think? Or do you think that’s what good for business is good for all of us, because ultimately the benefits trickle down.
A public debate would be a good start, but only when both sides are discussed with facts, not just statements. You bring up good points in your post, but all I saw were statements, no facts. Anyone can make a claim that anything is bad and you should be against it, but where are the facts that back up your statements.

Quote:

(I have some great statistics on the increasing gaps between the world’s rich and poor, if anyone’s interested. It’s widening, by the way.)
I will address this in another post. I would like to see your statistics on this!

**edited to make all my colors match
------------------

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 08-27-2001).]
Old 08-27-2001, 04:16 PM   #10
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Bumping for Silver Cheetah (and others if they wish to put in their 2 cents)

------------------