Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-02-2001, 06:09 PM   #1
NotMinscOnlyBOO

While blaming Turks to make a genocide at Armenians They killed over 1,5 million Algerians.
Using these kind of subjects to politics is not a good behaviour for a goverment.We dont have a problem with the French people but I can say French Goverment and President is just doing a big mistake.

I'm waiting for ur comments...

Old 02-03-2001, 02:29 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Moraine, please be nice...

Boo are you from Algeria? What's the backdrop to this? What brought this on?

There have been plenty of races throughout history that have visited much death on another. South America lost 23 million people to reduce the native population to 2 million during the time of the Spanish conquest. The English wrought much destruction upon natives of North America, Australia and Ireland etc, the Arabs themselves upon the Coptics of Egypt, Assyrians and North Africans for example.

Dwelling on the sins of the past is a sure way to create resentment and hostility, even though a recognition needs to exist to prevent reccurence.

If the French did indeed kill 1.5 million Algerians it is certainly a tragedy, but that shouldn't prevent the leaders from pointing out the mistakes in others like the Turks either.

I hope this thread doesn't damage our cross cultural friendship or drive some of us away. Needless to say that the leaders of a nation don't represent all inhabitants. Moiraine has already expressed misgivings about Jacques Chirac for example, and you have acknowledged this with your statement "(no) problem with the French people"

I'm talking from ignorance of the situation you are referring to, but also out of concern for the international flavour that exists on the board and a fear of what would happen if we start having a go at each others countries.

I have problems with the policies of other nations too but in the context of the friendly conversation here would be VERY hesitant to raise them. Perhaps I am wrong though.

Please advise

Yorick
Old 02-03-2001, 04:55 AM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

NotMinscOnlyBOO, Yorick,

I am currently at work, and I havn't got the leasure to post just now the long answer that you question asks for. I will do so later this evening or tomorrow.

I will only say right now that a honest question about French politics will never make me angry, so this one does not at all, and that I for one deeply regret being the only French on this board, since my answer will inevitably be colored by my own personal opinion.
Old 02-03-2001, 05:01 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Moiraine, quick off topic - just wanted to let you know I wasn't having a go at you about Ziroc in the other thread ok? I know we all appreciate his hard work!

Ok, back on topic now.