Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 09:18 AM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

We can't make a real assessment of how "unfair" the wage is unless we know the prices of goods in the Phillipines. How much for a loaf of bread? a gallon of milk? that Ford F150? or a house?

Larry, the alternative to doing it the way they do it on your vessel is to scrap the company, start a company in the Phillipines, and pay everyone on board $600-$1000 per month. Then, of course, you'd find another job. Just thought I'd point that out.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #12
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

TL: believe us, it IS unfair. Let us say he gets minimum wage right? Given that, he could buy let's say 3-4 cartons of milk. That's it. He would have to manuever a lot just to make due which is almost impossible (or it actually is) because prices are going up dramatically and wages never do. In fact, since all prices are going up, wages go down, or never change because of these price hikes.

With a blue-collar Filipino worker who works locally, I reckon that he will never be able to buy a house for a lifetime. No opportunities to save, and defintely prices won't go down.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:33 AM   #13
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

unless he builds one bahamut [img]smile.gif[/img]

in an international point of view, you can say that our goods back home is cheap. when leonis went to the PHilippines, he found eveything cheap. But of course the that depends on your currency is in question as well. It may be cheap for you guys, but it is still expensive for us no matter how cheap you people find it. If you guys find our goods cheap, then try and imagine what we think of your goods?

Like memnoch said, the equality of rich and poor varies dramatically in 3rd world countries as well.

Since I have started studying here in Sydney Australia, I have met so many different nationalities of students that it astounds me. A student who works minimum wage part time (or what is possible given school or no school day) can save enough in one month to go to trips in different countries. What I saved here is 2 times of what I can get back home working FULL time (minimum wage comparison of course). Filipino Students back home would just work as hard as I have and be happy going on small trips out to the country side.

If you look at it in the consumption of necessities (meaning prices of goods), then savings is the big factor here as well.

While I am not blaming any country of our 3rd world status, Im just saying this for you 1rst world people out there, you should be lucky and thankful of what you guys have.

edit: spelling and one last thing,

I actually remember leonis saying he was near heart-broken when a Filipina Lady approached his group and offered her newly born child to them so that He/She may have a better chance here in Australia. Just imagine how bad it really is that it makes a woman willing to give her own child so he/she could have a better future.

one last edit: if you people want to know how lucky you guys really are? then visit a 3rd world country and live with them to show you how lucky you people really are.

[ 08-17-2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #14
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I could not even begin to imagine what life is like there I hate that life is so bad for everyone in third world countries, but would not even know how to help. if our prices are so high, and we make so much more than you guys over there, how bad it must be
Old 08-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #15
Lavindathar
Harper

I've never lived in a 3rd world country, but I've spent a lot of time in Malaysia (the very south, the poor part), Thailand, Eastern China (once again the poor part) and Egypt, and I understand how hard it must be.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #16
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
We can't make a real assessment of how "unfair" the wage is unless we know the prices of goods in the Phillipines. How much for a loaf of bread? a gallon of milk? that Ford F150? or a house?

Larry, the alternative to doing it the way they do it on your vessel is to scrap the company, start a company in the Phillipines, and pay everyone on board $600-$1000 per month. Then, of course, you'd find another job. Just thought I'd point that out.
I think you're talking about "standard of living" which does take exchange rates, average wages and relative cost of living into consideration. Also things like quality of services (you might pay relatively the same as me for water, but how does the quality and reliability of that water compare etc...)

Believe me, even though I was there for a short time, it's apparent that the standard of living is far below what I am used to in Australia and other 'first world' nations.

I also noticed other relatives, such as a friend I made who is a TV editor. She worked for longer hours than a TV editor here, for far less relative income. In Australia, a TV editor is generally above average wage (not far though) and doing reasonable well. This girl is struggling to make ends meet, even though she's probably earning 'a good wage' for the Philippines...
Old 08-17-2004, 10:19 PM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

...and this is why you get a "brain drain" of talent out of the country to other countries, Leo...it's just too hard unless you're part of that 10% who has all the wealth...

Old 08-18-2004, 03:04 AM   #18
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I notice this phenemenon on my country. Hiring Filipinos or Indonesians is much cheaper and easier than hiring locals ( though they still need work permits ). Locals then to be very choosy about jobs or demand outrages wages just for a simple blue color jobs ie maid or gardener. Filipinos or Indonesian will be happy to just get any kind of jobs for just any kind of wages. They don't complain much about their work unlike locals who would just complain about anything ( too hot lah got dark cloud lah etc etc... )

[ 08-18-2004, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 08-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #19
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
...and this is why you get a "brain drain" of talent out of the country to other countries, Leo...it's just too hard unless you're part of that 10% who has all the wealth...
yeah, all the smart and the people who posses leadership qualities rather go abroad and seek thier fortune somewhere else because they know they wont be able to go up to the ladder under ordinary circumstances. its sad really.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-18-2004, 11:20 AM   #20
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

stormy... it's not that bad... it's just that a little fluctuation in the economy is greatly felt. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I still wouldn't trade my place, and culture for the world (but I'd love to know other cultures LOL) [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am really concerned though with other people taking advantage of the injustice that is present nowadays regarding labor...