Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2003, 04:02 PM   #11
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Old 09-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #12
WillowIX
Apophis

I believe you guys are straying off topic. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, it's great that the music industry finally came to their senses. Of course they haven't admitted just yet that they pretty much have to blame themselves. So a $6 cut in prices. IF they aren't making any prfits from their high prices how can they afford to lower them?
Old 09-04-2003, 04:42 PM   #13
Chewbacca
Zartan

Assuming the other 4 big labels follow suit, all this means is they are going to take less risks on new upcoming acts, give way less advertising dollars to retailers for price and positioning, and lay-off more staff like street reps. The fat-cats will probably still have champagne breakfasts. Bottom line we will have less diversity from the big labels but (hopefully) better opportunity for indies who have more to gain from the Internet, free-filesharing, and other nontraditional avenues of promotion.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 PM   #14
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Hmmm, I might actually buy cds now. I refused to buy cds that were outrageously priced and were 90% filler. Now they need t oadd better content in their albums.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:22 PM   #15
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

The problem I had with buying cd's was because the price was so high on them, hit albums being 20+ dollars. Plus there was never a guarantee that you'll like all the songs on the cd so it was probably a waste of money in the longrun.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:22 AM   #16
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

LoL! Bozos, after all this commotion you should put in your sig the title: "Pun-Master Extraordinair!!" ..... Will avoid some more misunderstandings hehe
Old 09-05-2003, 09:01 AM   #17
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Assuming the other 4 big labels follow suit, all this means is they are going to take less risks on new upcoming acts, give way less advertising dollars to retailers for price and positioning, and lay-off more staff like street reps. The fat-cats will probably still have champagne breakfasts. Bottom line we will have less diversity from the big labels but (hopefully) better opportunity for indies who have more to gain from the Internet, free-filesharing, and other nontraditional avenues of promotion.
I agree Chewie! I think for the industry as a whole it will be good! There will be more competition in the market place if a whole bunch of Indies start putting out acts that the big boys won't take a chance on. You may even see more indie companies start up, which in turn, may mean even more diversity in the industry rather than less.

I also think you will see more downloads available for sale as opposed to actual CDs. It really makes sense, because it's an expense that the record companies can cut. No more media to burn, package, store and ship.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:12 PM   #18
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
I believe you guys are straying off topic. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
It's something we do quite well [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:28 AM   #19
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
I agree Chewie! I think for the industry as a whole it will be good! There will be more competition in the market place if a whole bunch of Indies start putting out acts that the big boys won't take a chance on. You may even see more indie companies start up, which in turn, may mean even more diversity in the industry rather than less.

I also think you will see more downloads available for sale as opposed to actual CDs. It really makes sense, because it's an expense that the record companies can cut. No more media to burn, package, store and ship.
Yup, this happened in the 90s, an indie explosion that is, but the Big labels gobbled them all up. Hopefully this time around the indies will be in a better position not to get bought out just to get a decent distribution deal. Assuming we see another indie boom... Who knows though, the net has changed the game for good.

I hope the industry gets the act together because I really want to work in that industry again but I am weary as I recently got burned, along with a lot of people I know, because of downsizing and stores closing.