Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Hey all you talented guitarists...
Erm i've been playing guitar for a couple of months now and I was wondering if it really does help getting lessons? I've been teaching myself and i'm doing kinda good according to some people but if lessons are gonna really help me then i'm all up for them...
Thanks for your help...cause i know i'll get it...
Felix
Old 04-15-2003, 02:50 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Lessons will help. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 04-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Yay!!!
Thats all i was looking for... now to find a teacher cause the ones at school suck...
Felix
Old 04-15-2003, 03:48 PM   #4
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

If you're naturally gifted, you don't need a teacher! [img]tongue.gif[/img] But yea, lessons would probably help.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:39 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A teacher can do a few things, all of which are important.

First, the basics. These are the standard things that you can often pick up from exercise books. A teacher can help with things as simple as how to read music (ever see drum music? It's different, for sure...).

Second, shortcuts. My second drum instructor showed me the way I still count today -- from one-and-two-and to one-dah-dee-two-dah-dee to one-ee-and-ah-two-ee-and-ah. Did eventually see it written down, but differently.

Third, options. That same drum instructor took one exercise book and gave me something like eight different ways to play each exercise. Regular rhythms, syncopated, off-beat... it's all fun when you try it out, and sometimes it works for real [img]smile.gif[/img]

Fourth, alternatives. That same teacher got me hooked on jazz. He snuck it in one day, saying "I know you want to play rock. Try this stuff for a bit -- it's related". Opened my eyes immensely. And I'm still opening 'em.

And last, open the world of music. Two people can play the same notes and beats, but whichever one can put his or her heart and soul into it, can put their emotion into it, that person will have the greatest impact.

There are those who can take themselves through all five steps. They are few and far between, and they are truly gifted. But even those people, as they continue on, will work with teachers -- perhaps not as formally -- to broaden their horizons and learn new things.

Just remember as you search for a teacher that you have to learn the basics first. Not all teachers are good at all five levels. It's fine to switch from one to another when the time is right.

Now go out there and have a good time!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:54 PM   #6
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Like i really understand what you mean Bungleau, i have some of those teach yourself books which help a lot but i know you can get more out of them with the right pointers, somethign i learned from playing the trumpet...but enough of that...
Felix
Old 04-15-2003, 05:46 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
If you're naturally gifted, you don't need a teacher! [img]tongue.gif[/img] But yea, lessons would probably help.
Even the "self taught" and "naturally gifted" learn from others through observation and experimentational mimicry. Being instructed quickens the learning curve through critical feedback, encouragement and accountability, and enhanced mimicry possibilities. You see it done, you know it's possible.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 04-15-2003, 06:56 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Then there are the ungifted who would waste money if they took lessons (that's me). Bought a used guitar and tortured my brother with for about a year and then I read the handwriting on the wall and gave up. After 20 years, I still have the guitar, just can't bring myself to sell it.

Ah well.

Mark
Old 04-15-2003, 07:02 PM   #9
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Then there are the ungifted who would waste money if they took lessons
LMAO skywalker, i dont think id be in your boat if i took the lessons as im quite good musically except drumming i can do it but not very well and dont have the patience to learn it...
Felix
Old 04-15-2003, 07:14 PM   #10
skywalker
Banned User

Being inept at the guitar was quite heartbreaking for me, especially since I was trying to learn it to impress a girl I was hoping to go steady with at the time.

Mark