Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-14-2002, 07:10 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I hope this post will be useful to everyone. What's your favourite feats and which feats to avoid? All comments and thoughts are welcome!

IMO,

Thougness
Arcane Armor
Snake Blood

are useless.

Spell penetration
Aegis Of Prime
Dodge
Lingering Song
Heroic Inspiration
Improved Critical
Power attack & Cleave
Combat Casting
Dash Dirty Fighting

are useful.
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
Case00
Manshoon

I'm partial to expertise, at least for my mid-level guys.
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 08:39 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

I like Rapid Shot for my halfling rogue, Luck of Heroes for my paladin, Dirty Fighting for my monk, Combat Casting for my cleric, Courteous Magocracy and Spell Penetration for my mage, and Bullheaded for my barbarian. I also like Dash and Lightning Reflexes.

I would stay away from Mercantile Background, Cleave, Forester, and Two-Weapon Fighting. Those are my choices, of course; if your character concept calls for them, then by all means use them! [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 09:26 PM   #4
Hells Forge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

*CAUTION* This reply contains a spoiler! If you dont want to know it dont read this.

Ill agree with you on snakes blood, but arcane armor and toughness (IF at high level) can be extremely useful. I invested 2 points in toughness and jumped up on my mages hp quite a bit. Personally I like mercentile backround, cleave, improved critical, the mage feats (Spirit of Fire *Improved Fire* etc.) Duel wielding i love, all my members (except mage) have it. My paladin i thought would be useless, then i pumped him up with toughness, some save feats, duel wielding, and gave him the holy avenger! Act 5, Kuldahar, Grave Yard.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:48 AM   #5
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Hmmm..most useful for me so far has been "improved evasion." I love sneaking my thief in to backstab the bad guys, while I launch several fireballs at his feet...Once they take a few blast, then the archers and melee fighter can rush in to finish off the job.

Slippery Mind has helped on more than one occasion...

Sub-vocal casting...every spell caster I have has this feat...the majority of spell casters that you face in the game cast Silence at one point or another.

Weapon Finesse....good for party members (thieves & spellcasters) that use small weapons, but have higher dexterity than strength...which they should, applies dex bonus to attacks instead of strength..
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:52 AM   #6
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

IMHO, they produced a broad collection of these feats, and perhaps too broad. If you take a few 20 minutes or so and look through the 3rd ed. PH, you'd see that there are way too many important feats to regard as useless. But, I do understand that they chose a good collection of useful ones in turn, and I commend them for it. I'm not gonna choose any, as I haven't gotten that far into the game yet to actually find them useful (still Chap 1). I hope you don't take this as pointless bashing, but I just felt like putting in a little insight.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:25 AM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Improved Evasion, Crippling Strike (improved sneak attacks), and Weapon Finesse (attack roll based on DEX instead of STR when using small blades) for rogues are all nearly a must haves.

Improved and Extra Turning feats are definite must haves for clerics. There are not a lot of undead battles in IWD2. But for the battles that are included, having a cleric that is ready to do some heavy duty turning will come in very handy.

Lingering Song for bards is nearly a must have, if you make use of bard songs.

2 weapons fighting is OK, but really only if matched with ambidexterity. Don't bother with either if you really don't intend on 2 weapon fighting.

Improved Critical (greater chance of a hit being a critical hit) is a must have for any melee fighter.

There are a number of useful ones for wizards/sorcerors:
Combat Casting (reduced chance of spell disruption when hit in combat), Aegis of Rime (better cold magics), Scion of Storms (better electrical magics), Spirit of Flame (better fire magics), Spell Penetration, and Sub-vocal Casting are all very useful feats for "mages".

There are some other good feats. The ones that I've listed are particularly good for the given classes.

Note that I did not list any weapon proficiency feats. It certainly helps to give your melee fighters some extra profs in those weapons that he/she will be wielding for the duration of IWD2. But it's not really critical.

I have never spent an additional feat point on any weapon profs for my paladin and she's doing just fine. OTOH, my dwarven fighter has 3 points each (2 points above and beyond the base 1 point recv'd for just being fighter class) in axe and hammer.

Note that wizards (and presumably sorcerors) don't all of the simple weapons at the start. So if you want you wizard to wield a crossbow, you'll need to spend a feat point on it to avoid the BAB penalty.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 07:47 AM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

*Power attack, Cleave, Improved Critical are "MUST" for any melee character INCLUDING clerics & fighter/rogues. (but not wizards)

*Extra undead turning is useful? I dont think so, why turn undead? I'll crash their bones with my hammer!!

*About subvocal casting, many people say that it's useful. Do you think that enemy spell casters cast silence spell often? Do you saw the benefits of this feat often? if so, I'll take it [img]smile.gif[/img]

*Spirit of Flame and Aegis of Rime sounds great! But I dont think electric one is a good choice. There's lots of fire and ice spells but only 1 or 2 electric spells. Lightning bolt etc what else? do you agree
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 09-15-2002, 08:59 AM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

I think that there are 4 electricity spells.

There's a level 2 electric whip spell, the traditional level 3 lightning bolt, level 6 Chain Lightning, level 5 Ball Lightning.

I'm not saying that Scion of Storm is best of the 4 elemental mage feats. But if you like using these spells, there are worse choices you could make.

Why Turn Undead? I take it that you haven't made it to the serious battles against undead in near Kuldahar. Maybe my party could have won without Turn Undead. Maybe.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:28 AM   #10
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

You're right about lightning damage there's some lightning spells. I mean acid damage. which spells are acid spells?