Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 03:24 AM   #1
BP
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Does anyone have any good tactics for defeating Firkraag?

I have a lvl 10-11 party with Me(Fighter), Korgan, Minsc, Valygar, Nalia and Jaheira.

I have found the three "Dragon equipment" pieces. (Helmet, Shield, sword)

Question 2:
The vampires in the dungeon have made three of my party members drained.
Do they still collect exp. points if they are drained? The exp. does not show...
Old 04-04-2001, 03:40 AM   #2
Lifetime
Red Dragon

BP, the Dragonslaying items don't exactly do as much good against a single dragon as you might think. Firkraag deals fire damage, not acid etc, so if I'm not mistaken about half or a third of the helm's abilities are useless against him.
A good idea for a low level party is
1, the long way, go do more sidequests and leave the Windspear Hills to the last. I did all the quests in Chapter 2 and Firkraag did'nt stand a chance. Your mages should be high level enough to cast spells like Magic Word, Breach, and other defence removing spells. Greater Malison also helps a lot if you have multiple spellcasters, so you might consider dropping Valygar for Aerie or Edwin just for the duration of the battle. If you don't wish to drop him, then don't waste your slots on spells like Lower Resistance and Malison because you won't do nearly as much harm as you'd like. If you do have at least 2 spellcasters though, stock them up with Lower Resistance and Malison and blast away while he's still blue. Spells that work well are those that don't require saving throws, like Magic Missle (very effective at dealing quick damage. Before long you'll see him fall) and Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. The key is quick damage. Don't rely too much on buffing your characters, because if they're strong enough to take him, they'll take him with little help needed and if they're not, they'll die anyway.
2, the quick and easy way is just to summon lots of critters (keeping Jaheira at the rear to cast animal spells is a good idea) and direct damage spells and blast away and pray for the best. Keep sending creatures into the fray, even when you see them flying past you until Firkraag exhausts his spells, and then force him to come into close combat. Don't expect your animals to do much damage. In close combat, spells like Haste and Defensive Harmony work well. Try to keep a healer (Aerie or Jaheira) at the rear to heal any characters that take damage, because Firkraag deals incredible amounts of damage hand-to-hand. Once you see him taking damage though, that's the beginning of the end. If you can hold out long enough and keep trading damage with him, you'll win by attrition. Hope that helped!

------------------
Why?
Old 04-04-2001, 03:49 AM   #3
Lord Shield

Or wait until you're a higher level and hit him with lots of Hasted Summoned critters with 'Remove Fear' on them

Old 04-04-2001, 04:14 AM   #4
BP
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Guys!

I'll probably wait until later before i go back. To get better spells...

How about my other question about the level/energy drain?

And also, who in your opinion is better of Minsc and Valygar. I´m thinking of
dropping one of them for a second mage (Edwin?) but can you get Edwin if you are
with the vampires instead of the shadow thieves?
Old 04-04-2001, 04:19 AM   #5
dafan

They will gain points but I should resurect em cause theye are very bad as leveldrained... I would use Minsc his better.... You can take the dragon down... have som breach cast... have hasted party... cast some magic missiles... summon some animals... have your tanks atacking him from behind... he would go down pretty fast

------------------
I'm a protector of good and a symbol of light
Old 04-04-2001, 05:06 AM   #6
Killer
Banned User

soumond cow spell and psychic drain on firgrag or soumound a lots of monsters

death is the way of life Killer
Old 04-04-2001, 08:46 AM   #7
Fallen
Dungeon Master

You dont need that high a level party 2 kill Firkraag. I had a level 10/11 party when i did it, like you. He is pretty easy if you know how 2 deal with him, and have a little luck. What i did is cast magic resistance on him, that lowers his resistance quite a bit, then cast minor sequencer with 2 mages. Both of them with magic missiles casting twice in the sequencer. Then pause it and click on him as if 2 talk 2 him, then click on him again 2 attack, then unpause. he will wait for you 2 talk 2 him while u beat his sorry ass! cast the sequencer with both mages and he'll go down pretty fast! 2 good swords 2 have are the celestial fury (if you have katana skill) and the sunbladeaystar (long sword). I had both of these and kicked the s**t out of him in 1 go!

-------------

Halodiar, Protector of the Celestial Blade of the Stars
Old 04-04-2001, 08:48 AM   #8
Fallen
Dungeon Master

whoops, sunblade: daystar. lol
Old 04-04-2001, 12:55 PM   #9
Hesperex

Or the way I do it, ....sneaky underhand CLOUDKILL tactics and lingering just out of his field of vision muwhahaha. most dishonerable, the again dragons ain't exactly known for playing fair!

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.

Old 04-04-2001, 01:32 PM   #10
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Hesperex:
Or the way I do it, ....sneaky underhand CLOUDKILL tactics and lingering just out of his field of vision muwhahaha. most dishonerable, the again dragons ain't exactly known for playing fair!

Equally effective and just as cheesy is to lay 10-15 traps right at his feet. Just lay a few traps, rest and then go back to lay more.