Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-06-2001, 05:45 PM   #41
Hesperex

G.W

the sword you are talking about is the Namarra +2, it can be obtained from the crypt king who is in one of the tomes on the far side of the grave yard. I'll say no more I've already said to much probably.

Old 02-06-2001, 06:02 PM   #42
G.W.

Yes, it's the blade of Namarra. The blade of roses is a mediocre 1-8+3 (or 7.5 damage on average). Anyway, I don't think elves have any bonus not described in the manual or in game. It may be that people are referring to AD&D rules. I have never heard of elves having a +1 to hit with bows and long swords before, myself. I have no idea why the half-orc sounds messed up. At one point in the game, my half orc always failed on hide in shadows (when he succeeded it always took him out of the shadows). I think it might just be a bug because reloading the game he was fine. For a moment I thought that half orcs couldn't hide in shadows (which makes sense from a roleplaying perspective).

Old 02-06-2001, 10:06 PM   #43
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, I thought the half-orc had very bad vision, which also makes a litte sence from roleplaying perspective. I just couldn't stand him not finding any traps, and reloading didn't work for me, so I had to play it from the beginning again. The elf's bonus is really a mystery to me. You are probably right that Dan was refering to AD&D rules. He has said a couple of wrong things, that I have found out after testing different classes myself, so I don't think I will take his advices anymore. He is saying that the druid is really bad too, but now I am having second thoughts. I have never liked the druid from the start and him saying that this class is bad, just made this feeling stronger. I think I need to be more open minded, because experts can also be wrong.

About the hiding in shadows: You need the skill "move silently" to STAY in shadow.
Old 02-06-2001, 11:41 PM   #44
G.W.

No, at the time he had a decent skill in it. It is just one of the many latent bugs in the game, such as the wizardslayer not actually doing any of the things they say he can do.

Old 02-06-2001, 11:50 PM   #45
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

As long as they get the job done,its great. I mean, without any difficulty of course.
Old 02-08-2001, 05:28 PM   #46
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just letting you know how it goes (SPOILERS ABOUT trademeet and D'arnises keep).
I am still playing this group:

Elf Fighter/thief - Long sword++, Single weapon style++, Short bow++ (I should have +++++ in bow, and skipped single weapon style)
Human Ranger/Cleric - Flail++, Mace++, Sling+, War hammer+ and two weapon style+++.
Kensai/mage - Katana+++, two weapon style+++.
Berserker/mage - two handed sword+++++, long bow+

It is going very well. I have helped Nalia, and gotten the fighters stronghold. Torgal was no problem at all, but the captain upstairs was really tough. I had to reload about 10 times before I could kill this guy (think his name was Glacias, something with G anyway). He used a potion of speeds, then killed my party like Arcanis Gauth (in the thieves guild). I dropped Nalia shortly after.

After the castle, I went to trademeet and then immediately to the druid grove with Cernd. After killing some trolls, my kensai, berserker and ranger was at level 9, so I dualled them. At this time, I was very vulnerable, because 3 characters in my party was at level 1. Then it was time to see what my elven fighter/thief was going for. With a little help from Cernd and a speed potion, he killed all the druids on the way to the grove easily, and it was all because of the Tuigan bow (spell casting failure, spell casting failure etc etc). Cernd killed the evil druid, and I let him go. We are 4 again.

Now I have saved the people in trademeet from a genie. It is all going very well, and I can't wait until I get my fighting skills back.

One annoying thing about dualling classes to mages, is that you have to scribe a lot of spells. I had to spend about 40 min on scribing all the spells I wanted to my 2 characters. There was scribing failure about 50 % of the time, or maybe more (it sure felt like it). Anyway, I had to reload a lot of times to get spells like breach and fireball. If the grease spell didn't make it, then so be it.
Old 02-08-2001, 05:52 PM   #47
Hesperex

best way I have found to kill glacius is to walk into the room where he is with an "invisible"!! mage and cast Web which should hold him in place then bring in the archers ( i have 3 so i found it dead easy) and just let fly with those arrows to easy! of course if u only have one archer or whatever then why not get your mage to throw dome fire balls at him or stick some nasty toxic gas around him.

Old 02-08-2001, 07:31 PM   #48
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

ahh...I had only Nalia as a spellcaster, and she didn't have any useful spells left. I didn't want to rest for some reason. I wanted to make use of every ability I had before resting (it's stupid I know), so I had to do it the old fassioned way. Have my thief backstab him, and then let him run away, and let the others take care of him. The problem was that I couldn't allow anyone in the party to get hit, or someone would die. Finally, my thief made a backstab of 101, making it easy to kill G with arrows.
Old 02-08-2001, 08:26 PM   #49
G.W.

I'm sure scribe rate is not accurate. I remember in IWD I would have a 99% success rate (21 int with items) and I would fail about 1 in 4 times. And if you fail on a scroll you have to reload multiple times to get it to work. It's like they remember you are supposed to fail on this one scroll.

Old 02-10-2001, 04:23 PM   #50
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

So true. In bg2 I am supposed to have 85% success of scribing, but it seems like it is 50% or something. Some spells have about 10% success of scribing, it seems.