Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Hi all, I have been giving some thought lately to trying to build my own comptuer system. Do any of you know of any good sites for a) instruction on how to go about building a system and b) for parts? Thanks in advance!

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

ok basic outline for compy [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Processor/CPU
- Motherboard (usually onboard sound)
- Ram
- Hard disk
- Dvd/Cd rom/writer/etc
- Monitor
- Keyboard/mouse

Thats it. Personally I would go for that sequence since your choice in CPU will determine if you like Intel or AMD then in turn will affect the socket choices for your motherboard. that in turn will affect your choices in Ram, and HD. my 10cents

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have bought stuff off of newegg before, but when its important and I want a local seller so that I can see the thing I am buying, I go to Intrex. I did a quick search however and it looks like they only have stores in NC. They would have been good for you too, because I can go in there and ask the guy for a step-by step of how to do something or fix something and I've always been told, free of charge, then I go back home and do it on my own.

Building a system really depends on your money situation. That will drive your decisions on what Harkoliar mentioned.

Being a member of IW, you know there will be several people here eager to assist you in getting the best equipment for you money. Just post how much money you want to invest and we'll start from there.

An opinion from me...don't buy the important stuff from online stores because they are harder to get exchanges, shipping sometimes damages goods, shipping takes too long when waiting on a part to make the system work. We need to find you a good local shop in the area so you can walk in and see the item you are buying from the man you can go back to and shout at when something don't work.

Also...winter is here and that means static electricity. Don't build your machine while wearing fluffy socks on the carpet.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Well now, this adds some spark back into the not much going on listings.

First: I will offer the magazine, Maximum PC. Thou they are windoze based, and I have not read one in over two years, they used to be the best mag around.

Second: Tom's. The ultimate resource about anything and everything computer.

Third: My list of parts vendors is enormous, but a one click stop would be Newegg. Very reliable, excellent customer service, and very market average pricing.

Fourth: This is an older file, but it was the bomb diggity back in the day. How To

Finally: Proced here with UTMOST CAUTION! Sooner or later somebody will influence you to O/C, so you might as well go to the source.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

To be honest, I have no idea what I might want to spend. I was chatting with a friend and he mentioend he and his build computers. He mentioned they were able to build the follwing for $340.00.

The Hardware

- AMD Sempron 64 2800+
- Biostar Motherboard
- 512MB RAM
- 52X CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
- Western Digital 40GB HD
- Tower w/ Window & 400 Watt Power Supply

The Software

- Windows XP Home Edition
- Norton Antivirus 2006
- Word Perfect Office Suite
- Aqua Zone Desktop Garden Screensaver
- Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games
- Easy Fax
- Adobe Photoshop Album
- Pinnacle Studio SE 10.0

I would have no interest in any of the software (I only included it as it was listed in the price).

My initial thoughts on what I would want include between 512 and 1024 of RAM and a minimum 80 gig hardrive. As for the processor and motherboard I am somewhat clueless. I would want to build a system that is good for gaming (at this point allI play is NWN1 and the Baldur's Gate series) while not breaking the bank. Essentially I would want to build a suitable gaming system for as little as possible.

I do not have a budget in mind...I am mainly in the exploratory stages as I would have to "sell" the idea to my wife. :~)
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

One tip, don't get Dual Core CPU. They might sound great but aren't...they will be maybe in the future but now most programs don't know how to handle them and it slows them down. And they don't work at dual speed but oonly like 15% faster so they are not really worth it...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
One tip, don't get Dual Core CPU. They might sound great but aren't...they will be maybe in the future but now most programs don't know how to handle them and it slows them down. And they don't work at dual speed but oonly like 15% faster so they are not really worth it...
Are you high? I haven't heard of anyone yet having problems with dual core. Quite the contrary.

Stonewarrior, if you want a system built for gaming, I'm afraid the above just won't do. You'll need at least a GForce 6600 and 1GB RAM (preferably 2). And I really recommend you get a dual-core processor.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well, thats what I read about it, but ofcourse now I can't find the article when I need it...

Feel like a bit of an ass now... just ignore my dumb rantings...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I mostly agree with ZFR.

For a good midrange system I recommend the following (all prices US$):

AMD FX-60 cpu ($675 approx)
Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe ($125 approx)
at least 1GB of Corsair DDR PC3200 ($90/gb)
2x [RAID-0] Western Digital Caviar SE (SATA150) 250gb, 7200rpm, 8mb cache ($120 approx)
GeForce 7950 1GB ($540 approx)
case/ps at least 480W ($160 approx)

total: 1710

add in your choice of optical drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

As you can see, this system puts the money where it will best impact performance - the FX-60 is killer at a bargain price, and the dual 7950 is cutting edge, so you shouldn't need another GPU for a at least a year or two.

Add in a second GB or RAM, a cheap optical drive, and $100 worth of accessories and you still come in under $2K.

[ 11-11-2006, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 11-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
Lucern
Quintesson

I concur with ZFR. Even though I have a modest Dual Core processor (pentium D 805, the "Furnace", @2.6 ghz), it's really quite effective. You might notice how computers generally slow down when you have 2 anti-virus programs, a windows search, a couple of chat programs, 3-4 web pages open, and a game windowed? Well I can forget that ever happened, because mine has never done that. Also consider this: single-core processors are on the out with CPU manufacturers. Would you rather have a device whose support (via software programming) is going to be reduced or expanded in the coming years? Last I checked (this summer when I built mine), the plan is to go with 4-cores or 8-cores in the coming years, not faster single cores.

And about the graphics card. Even 256 MB cards with enormous bandwidths are being eaten alive by some more recent games (well okay, Oblivion), so proceed with caution when buying older ones if you intend on playing recent and future 3d games.

Edit: and I have a hard time seeing Sir Krustin's computer as 'mid-range' lol. He must know some power-users. You can go 'mid-range' for half of that by buying a graphics card that's not over $500 and a processor that isn't over $600.

[ 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote