Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2001, 12:44 AM   #11
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I've known two pit bulls in my lifetime, both of them obedience trained and both of them seemingly good and mild dogs, owned by good people who readily admitted that they are unpredictable.
One approached me and sat down next to me and gave me a look that I read as "I can tear you to pieces and I'd enjoy every minute of it"
Just as I was cautiously stepping away, her owner (my brother-in-law) warned me that she had an instinctive mean streak and that I needed to keep my distance as long as I was in her territory (his back yard).
The second one I encountered while visiting a friend in his home. It lunged at my son's face for no obvious reason and was stopped a fraction of an inch short of sinking her teeth into him by her owner who had her on a chain and later admitted that as good a dog as she was, she was truly unpredictable, which is why he kept her on a chain whenever he had company.
Not knocking the breed you love, because they are faithful pets to their owners, but if you don't own them, you have reason to be wary of them!

Moni, I won't argue with you on that either. Ok, I know it might sound like I'm playing both sides of the fence, but hear me out.

As important as the training, loving and atmosphere the dog is given is to the quality of the dog, so is it's heritage. The reason that Pit Bulls got such a bad rap was the way that they were being bred. So many people were using them as guard dogs, and as pit fighters, that the agressive behavior was bred into them over generations. Now, a new focus by the breeders has finally started to come, and the agressiveness is slowly being bred out of them.

So, by giving them a loving home, and training them appropriately, you can help to eliminate a lot of the behavior that makes people wary of them, but you also have to do some research on the heritage of the dog. Don't allow breeders of aggressive dogs to make the situation worse. Find another breeder that is working to breed out the aggressiveness.

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
Good guys CAN get the girl, if they only have a little patience!

[This message has been edited by Zeeke75 (edited 09-08-2001).]
Old 09-08-2001, 12:57 AM   #12
Moni

I won't deny that they are good dogs to their owners but I would never own one for fear of having someone else hurt by it.
I was thinking my pup was part Pit Bull and I thought it was cool because he looked like a mix with a German Shephard, which I know are good (but potentially aggressive) dogs as well, but as it turns out, he is just some total mutt mix of a Rhodesian Ridgeback, to the point where he has a bunch of extra skin around his neck because he is missing the "ridge" and he also has an extra toe.
An extremely intelligent and well-behaved dog, even he has the potential for territorial related violence. We got him neutered this week but have yet to see if it has mellowed him at all in his disdain for our family members who infrequently may go out into our yard through our house. He has not had a lot of contact with Grandpa and does not take it well that grandpa is afraid of him. Grandpa has not been back out there to visit with his own dogs since the pup growled at him for being afraid.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-08-2001, 01:11 AM   #13
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
I won't deny that they are good dogs to their owners but I would never own one for fear of having someone else hurt by it.
I was thinking my pup was part Pit Bull and I thought it was cool because he looked like a mix with a German Shephard, which I know are good (but potentially aggressive) dogs as well, but as it turns out, he is just some total mutt mix of a Rhodesian Ridgeback, to the point where he has a bunch of extra skin around his neck because he is missing the "ridge" and he also has an extra toe.
An extremely intelligent and well-behaved dog, even he has the potential for territorial related violence. We got him neutered this week but have yet to see if it has mellowed him at all in his disdain for our family members who infrequently may go out into our yard through our house. He has not had a lot of contact with Grandpa and does not take it well that grandpa is afraid of him. Grandpa has not been back out there to visit with his own dogs since the pup growled at him for being afraid.

Personally, I think that all dogs have the potential to be agressive, given the right circumstances and breeding.

Your dog sounds like a really neat mix of breeds, though. All of the ones that you listed are very intelligent, so you must have one really smart dog.

Sorry to hear that Grandpa isn't getting along with him. That can be fixed, but it will definitely take some time. From reading some of your other posts, I definitely get the impression you know how to handle your pets, but if you need/want advice for training your dogs, let me know....I've been training them for a few years now.

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
Good guys CAN get the girl, if they only have a little patience!
Old 09-08-2001, 01:18 AM   #14
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
I've known two pit bulls in my lifetime, both of them obedience trained and both of them seemingly good and mild dogs, owned by good people who readily admitted that they are unpredictable.
One approached me and sat down next to me and gave me a look that I read as "I can tear you to pieces and I'd enjoy every minute of it"
Just as I was cautiously stepping away, her owner (my brother-in-law) warned me that she had an instinctive mean streak and that I needed to keep my distance as long as I was in her territory (his back yard).
The second one I encountered while visiting a friend in his home. It lunged at my son's face for no obvious reason and was stopped a fraction of an inch short of sinking her teeth into him by her owner who had her on a chain and later admitted that as good a dog as she was, she was truly unpredictable, which is why he kept her on a chain whenever he had company.
Not knocking the breed you love, because they are faithful pets to their owners, but if you don't own them, you have reason to be wary of them!

I understand your fear, but it seems that the owners in these cases were shown to be responsible. One warned you about the nature of their dog, the other was obviously there and in control enough to keep your son from a bite. These sound like dogs who were not socialized, probably for the reason of protection, which they are very good for if you don't antagonize the dog into being just plain mean. This should not affect you from getting one though, as a puppy turns into the dog that you have made it.

------------------
Old 09-08-2001, 01:37 AM   #15
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeke75:
Personally, I think that all dogs have the potential to be agressive, given the right circumstances and breeding.

Your dog sounds like a really neat mix of breeds, though. All of the ones that you listed are very intelligent, so you must have one really smart dog.

Sorry to hear that Grandpa isn't getting along with him. That can be fixed, but it will definitely take some time. From reading some of your other posts, I definitely get the impression you know how to handle your pets, but if you need/want advice for training your dogs, let me know....I've been training them for a few years now.

Thank you very much! That is very kind of you!
He is a great pup and I don't know if Grandpa wants to go back out any more because he moves so slow and the pup is very keen on tuning in to his emotions.
Maybe now that he is neutered it will be easier to make friends of the two of them but Grandpa would still need us in his company when he goes out simply becuase he is so slow and loses his balance easily...if the pup were to stand up on his legs for attention like he does mine, Grandpa would go down.

Liliara,
Yes, these people were aware of their pets potential but in spite of obedience training, they retained that violent and unpredictable streak. That is what frightens me...having a dog that may for no reason attack a friend or family member...if the dog is not constantly exposed to those people the same way it is it's owner, I don't believe it can be trusted not to rely on instinct. I would not want to expose my friends, my family, or my dog to having to deal with it.
Just my opinion.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-08-2001, 02:16 AM   #16
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Liliara,
Yes, these people were aware of their pets potential but in spite of obedience training, they retained that violent and unpredictable streak. That is what frightens me...having a dog that may for no reason attack a friend or family member...if the dog is not constantly exposed to those people the same way it is it's owner, I don't believe it can be trusted not to rely on instinct. I would not want to expose my friends, my family, or my dog to having to deal with it.
Just my opinion.

If you want your pup, and later dog, to get along with everyone, then I would suggest the same for this breed as any other... socialize it with everyone. Take it to the park, in your car, around the neighborhood. Let it become aquainted with everyone! This will not however, take away the dogs natural instinct to know intentions. (It's a wonderful thing. We as humans trust many. A dog, only those who are truthful in their intentions.) This seems more so in this breed. TRUST IT!!!

By the way, I believe it is a cocker spaniel, I may be wrong in this, I'll have the stats tomarrow for you, that has the highest rate of bites. The pit on the other hand is even used as a therapy dog because a wheelchair running over it's tail will not cause it to bite out of defense. (the pit doesn't respond to pain as defensively as most breeds)

This also means that a child in the family is much less apt to be bitten by a pit because of a pulled ear.

------------------
Old 09-08-2001, 06:04 AM   #17
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I believe you hit the nail on the head, Liliara. You MUST socialize your dog properly (both out in public AND at home) if you want to come as close as possible to ensuring that your dog won't be agressive to others. Also, I've found that YOUR attitude towards other people affect how your dog (pack-mate) sees them. If you go up to a friend and hug them, the dog knows that this person is accepted. If you go to the other side of the street when you see someone while walking your dog, they WILL pick up on that.

Therefore, understanding the nature of ANY dog - pack oriented, territorial, wary of those outside of the pack and, usually, willing to die, if necessary, to protect it's pack members - you can properly train ANY dog to be 99% non-agressive.

But therein lies the major point - you must understand any animal before you make it a pet. You MUST care for it properly, socialize it properly and, yes, show it respect. You must take in its inherent nature (i.e. that of Pit Bulls or German Shepherds) before you get one or you may not raise it properly.

I love all animals. My favorite dog would have to be the Samoyed. I've been bitten by a Spitz with a bad owner and am still a bit leery of them (my bad), but IMHO - better safe than sorry. I DO like Pit Bulls and Mastiffs and Newfoundlands, too. When I lived in Tennessee, one of my neighbors had a Pit Bull female. Sweetest thing! She also had a litter that my neighbor distributed around the neighborhood Every ONE of those little guys grew up sweet and happy dogs! Because they were all properly obedience trained and properly socialized. Not one person who adopted one of the puppies ever treated it like anything other than a member of the family. I don't think it's right that some people buy a pet just because it's cute. Impulse buys like that lead to negleted and abused animals too frequently.

OK - gotta take my Mom's dog to the vet now! (We have all adopted strays or brought home rescues from the pound. She has one Red Chow/Yellow Lab mix - so he looks like a Red Lab . The one we are taking to the vet today is a black Spitz/mix. Thanks goodness for the "mix" for my peace of mind. Oh! and mine is a 30 pound Cocker Spaniel/Blue Tick mix. She just looks like a minature Blue Tick except for her face. It has a kind of Spaniel look to it.)

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-08-2001, 08:33 AM   #18
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

hmmmm
1) german shepard
2) dashund
3) scottish terrier

------------------

get away from my homepage
Old 09-08-2001, 08:36 AM   #19
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeke75:
Well, I've been around many, many different breeds of dogs, and while I like them all to a certain degree, I would have to say that I do have my favorites:

1. Doberman Pincer
2. Golden Retriever
3. Leonberger
4. Rottweiller
5. Great Dane

Great Danes Are The Best Dogs Ever, They're So Stupid, But At The Same Time, Really Intelligant. My Great Dane, She Sits On The Chair, But Only Her Bum Goes Down, And Her Front Two Legs Are On The Floor, Just Like A Human Sits, Whearas, She Also Sticks Her Nose In The Fire Till It Gets Burned... Tut Tut

------------------

I Am... The Bad Dude
Old 09-08-2001, 09:46 AM   #20
Neb
Account deleted by Request

"IT IS BAD OWNERS THAT MAKE BAD DOGS!!!!!!" That is true, but some breeds have a greater chance of becoming "bad dogs", but let's get back to the topic of this thread, my favorite breeds are:

1) Collie

2) Collie

3) Collie

4) Golden Retriever

I find Collies to be the most perfect dogs, others may disagree but that is my opinion.