Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-23-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
Jaramira
Dungeon Master

I'm new here, and am currently trying to figure out how to get past chapter 4 in IWD2. I just whanted to know what the 3rd Edition rules are, and if they are of any relevance.

I just dont have a clue what they are!! Could somebody PLEASE tell me?!
Jaramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hi. Welcome to Ironworks!

I have read over your post three times...and I think I understand what you are asking. The 3rd edition rules should have no bearing on whether or not you can pass an obsticle. I have not yet got as far as chapter 4 yet, so I will not be of any help to you there, but there are people on the forums that do know how to get past those sticky areas. Give them time to log on tonight after work and they will be able to tell you, but you will need to post again, and explain where you are in chapter four...or what particular spot has you troubled.

Now, your question about 3rd Edition. Again, it appears that you are asking what 3rd edition is. Right? 3rd Ed is a game rule set. Hmm....Like...In the previous two rule sets...a wizard could not carry a long-sword. A barbarian-fighter could not learn mage spells. Third edition says that they can. Why not allow a mage to carry a long-sword and use it proficiently? Maybe if he spent time practicing...he could! Who says that a red dragon could not be vegetarian? That is the sort of thing 3rd Ed does for you. It lifts some bans that were previously in place...to allow the player more freedom. Tables are calculated differently, like how much damage a person receives with this or that item in place...or ...how quiet a thief is when wearing metallic armor. Those things were different in previous editions. That's what 3rd Ed. is. A set of restrictions and allowances.

I am sure somebody else could do a better job at explaining it than I can. I usualy do not care what rules I am playing with, so I have never paid attention to what's going on. I just play.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

"3rd edition rules" refers to the third edition of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules system.

The original rules (1st ed.) and the second set (2nd ed.) were published by TSR. Then TSR was bought by Wizards of The Coast (most famous for Magic: The Gathering card game). If I recall rightly, WOTC now is part of Hasbro.

In any case, the most recent reworking of AD&D is the 3rd edition, which changed a great deal since the 2nd.

None of that, however, should affect chapter 4. Perhaps you could give us some details on exactly where you're stuck?

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
Jaramira
Dungeon Master

Question Mark

I wasn't exactly stuck (well, apart from the fact that i could not kill all those Driders) any way i an on chapter 5 now, and I was just wondering how you get through the yaun-ti temple and what are the answers to the stupid questions asked by the guards:

what is the black flower of the world?

What covers Selumes light at night?

Where does Sseth embrace his non-believers?

And so on............

Spoilers whanted!!
Old 02-03-2003, 04:01 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Unfortunately, no one can help you with those questions. You have to learn the answers in the game itself. Outside the temple is a priest and a bunch of novices. You eavesdrop on them and you pick up the responses. There is one more to learn, and you can get that one inside the temple.

If you've killed the novices already, you can restore to an earlier save, go in as-is and wipe out everyone, or sneak in with invis and do what needs to be done.

Nightowl2
Old 02-03-2003, 05:44 PM   #6
dragonslayer
Manshoon

and if you ever need any more help, if you really are stuck, that is, just search the board for a walkthrough, or pm me, that is also a way, but maybe you'll pass my chars by soon, they're only in dragons eye. [img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2003, 11:07 AM   #7
Jaramira
Dungeon Master

#*/*+~#=?!

I already killed them all!! And I have over-rode all my previous saves (I don't like clogging up the computer that much) What the **** do I do now? My only save from before killing the initiates is on chapter 2!!! I'm doomed, or at least thats how it seems to be!!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:24 AM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Then it would be time toimplement the last part of nightowls post. Load up and kick ass. Or skulk in the shadows and do it quiet like. I myself would go for the violent option, but its up to you.

Incidently, I might mention that its often a very bad idea to kill something with a Cyan circle. Even if they are certain to be an enemy, conversation with them will often provide some XP or some other reward.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:43 AM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, all is not really lost here. Much depends on what you want to do in the temple. If you're just after the last stele, you have no problems if someone can cast an invis spell or has an invis potion. Enter the temple. One person becomes invis. Everyone else stays right by the stairs. Invis person goes down the east hall to the lever room, pulls lever, waits outside for the undead to exit, then goes into their room, grabs the stele, returns to the group, and everyone leaves...and prepares for the big one with the guardian.

The alternative is to buff to the max and just go through the place room by room, wiping out every Yuan-Ti.

I usually went the stealth way (if I had a paladin in the group, because they won't wear the robes), or used the question/answer route. There's too many Yuan-Ti to fight (not to mention what comes after this) and I wanted to get this part overwith quickly.

By the way, it's always well to keep a few extra saves around. You never know when you may need one. Also, the game keeps a number of auto-saves; you may want to scroll back through those in case there's one near your current situation.

Nightowl2