Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm guessing it's not as simple as just copying it over, right? I'm trying to free up some space on my C drive as apparently the NWN2 patcher checks the C drive for sufficient space for temp files even though I'm installing it on D drive, where I have heaps (20+GB of space).

I'm a bit cramped as my C partition is only 12GB and there's only 2GB free - and Windows takes up about 4GB, and other important system programs (MS Office, etc) take up another 4GB, so I'm trying to see if I can move some of my other programs onto D. Any suggestions?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Seperate drives, or partioned?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I've moved programs before from the C drive partition to another partition, and although one worked with no problems, the other (software for digital camcorder) did have some problems. I even uninstalled and reinstalled onto the newer partition, but the program would not work unless the folder that contained the works-in-progress stayed on C. The main program folders were fine being on the other drive. I just could not convince the program to let me keep the pendings folder (where the camera uploads the media for it to be converted to mpg or avi) on any other drive than C.

So...for your problem, its a flip of the coin on whether it will work well by moving things.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Depends on the program. Some really don't give a rat's ass about that it says in the registry, and you can run them off a banana if you find a way to plug a banana to your computer and use it as storage. Others require their registry paths to stay the same, meaning they may not change their folder, let alone their partition, without registry editing. Then there are those programs that are just idiotic and stupid, and will not for the love of god be installed or ran from anything other than C.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Uninstall and reinstall on the D: drive is the easiest way. Most games have no problem with this. Just use the "custom" install to set drive/directory.

Some programs will insist on having components on the C: drive, which complicates things, though.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That kind of sucks, Sir Krustin, seeing as the bulk of progs I want to move came bundled with my laptop and have no install discs...

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
That kind of sucks, Sir Krustin, seeing as the bulk of progs I want to move came bundled with my laptop and have no install discs...
I heard a guy that owns a computer repair shop talk about that...that the laptops do not have install disks with them and that is where the PC repair shops make the most money off of people...because of how many issues come up that need those darned disks.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

You can copy it over. Just have to change the path in either the registry (if that's required) which is pretty easy, and change the shortcut path, so it looks for the right place.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I've always found stuff like that (fiddling in the registry) to be a pain, at best.

You *could* download a "backup" from a torrent site. Seeing as you own the software, having bought it with the laptop, technically it shouldn't be illegal.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Or you could purchase a program called Partition magic (used to be from PowerQuest, now from Symantec). It can let you change the partition size of your C & D Drive on the fly without losing any data.

So you can give your C drive a bit more wiggle room.