Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Default Altering NPCs

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to edit NPCs completely. My problem is that I have beaten the game several times but there are some NPCs that I still haven't tried because I don't like their classes. What I would like to do is to create a custom party (probably 4 characters but maybe up to 6 to fit more "NPCs") and then give all but the leader NPC scripts to I can enjoy their interactions.

The only way I have thought of doing this is recruiting these NPCs and then shadowkeeping them all to level 1, changing the class and giving them the XP to level back. I am not confortable with this though because I really don't know how should saving throws, HP and other stuff change so I'd like to do this as naturally as possible.

If there is an easy way to just assign some script to my additional PCs or something like that I'd love it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Aladinsane
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Re: Altering NPCs

I have been through the game many times before and recently started doing the same thing, editing npc's classes to make them more appealing to me. For instance, I edited Minsc to a berserker and Nalia to a sorcerer. It's not that difficult. The big thing is to make sure that you convert everything to a level one character, and get rid of all of the attributes of the old class. For instance, when I converted Nalia I had to change her saving throws, hit points, experience points, get rid of her thieving abilities, etc. If you need specific help with shadowkeeper let me know. I also have the 2nd edition player's handbook so I can give you the THAC0 (which is 20 for all level one characters), saving throws, thief skills, etc. Just shout if you need further help.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Default Re: Altering NPCs

Some good ole thread necromancy to post that I finally found a mod that does this for me without me needing to tweak all the values manually:

Level 1 NPCs

With this, item randomiser and alternatives I think I'm going to have a pretty nice BG2 run (and I will finally have a DECENT thief in the game...)