Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-20-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
WillowIX
Apophis

Started a new game, got to the crypt, went back to add a rogue to do some disarming. Well, now the game freezes every time I try to disarm something! I then have to ctrl+esc to windows and close the game. Most frustrating! Anyone else had this problem? Running win2k with
dx8.1... But thereīs no other problem with the game, except the talkīs missing but I can live with that...
Old 04-20-2002, 10:40 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

well gee - I don't know. It might be DirectX 8 is causing your problems. It has been the source of problems for many players (I'm not one of them though)
There are posts in Saz' techie help desk thread on how to downgrade to DirectX 7. You could try that and see if it helps.
It's simple enough to reload DX8 if/when needed.

If that doesn't help, come on back and tell us a LOT more about your computer hardware and whether you are running the patch (I don't like it myself but it has helped many)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 10:50 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Well, I donīt think the version of dx really matters so long as ones drivers are up to date and fully compatible, which mine are ( I think, better check that out, lol). Otherwise Iīm running:
P3 1GHz
448MB RAM
12Gb Harddrive
Creative Geforce 2mx
-"- Soundblaster Live! Value
win2k
directx8.1
BUT I think Iīve got an automatic swap-file size... Could that be it?!? But I havenīt got a clue how to change that on win2k! OK, Iīm using 128Mb as swap with 925Mb available whatever that means... The game requres 300Mb right? Wyv?? Do you know how to change the size of the swapfile?
Old 04-20-2002, 10:51 AM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Oh, and Iīm currently not runnung the patch. Donīt like that one either, If I find a dagger I like to use it, lol...
Old 04-20-2002, 10:55 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:

BUT I think Iīve got an automatic swap-file size... Could that be it?!? But I havenīt got a clue how to change that on win2k! OK, Iīm using 128Mb as swap with 925Mb available whatever that means... The game requres 300Mb right? Wyv?? Do you know how to change the size of the swapfile?
No I don't but there might be something in Saz' thread on that. I'll try a search. Otherwise I will have to wait until my hubby makes it over to the office and I can ask him. (I've made a point of surrounding myself with experts so I don't have to know, just have to know who to ask! )

Wyv
Old 04-20-2002, 10:59 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quoting Saz:

To set this, right-click on "My Computer" and choose Properties from the shortcut menu. When the dialog box appears, click on the Properties Tab. Now click the "Virtual Memory" button. Click the radio button next to "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings." In the minimum box, type 300 (or a higher number, depending on your system). Click OK, then OK again. Let Windows restart your computer.

Hope that helps!!

(I am an expert at searching)

Wyv
Old 04-20-2002, 11:00 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

No problem Wyv! I found it, now Iīll just have to remember where, lol. And I second about experts! Thatīs one reason why I love this place! Iīll try increasing the swap and start anew!
Old 04-20-2002, 11:02 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I'll keep my wings cross that that will fix the problem!!

Do let us know!!

Wyv
Old 04-20-2002, 01:16 PM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Didnīt work! But I got the entire error message: "The instruction at 0042548d referenced memory at 04411000. The memory could not be read". Anyone know how to fix this?
Old 04-21-2002, 10:40 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Eeegghhh.. errr... mmmmm.... not really.

Those kinds of errors are not typically ones that end users can do something about. In my experience, they're usually corrected by later versions of the software.

Am I reading this right, that it used to work, but now doesn't?

If that's the case, then I'll ask what's been installed or done between the last time it worked and the first time it didn't. That's where I'd start looking for critters to be the source of the problem.

If it never worked, then the first thing I'd try is shutting down all the extraneous programs (a full list of what to leave is either in the techie thread or the best tips thread, IIRC). Then see if it works in that stripped-down mode.

The next thing I'd try is applying the patch, to see if that corrects the problem. You give up a little, but IMHO, what you give up doesn't add much to the gameplay. YMMV. DSMIHNMA.

The third thing I'd try is the downgrade to DirectX7. Since you probably installed DirectX 8.1 for a reason, you probably will still need it, sadly...

You might also check for an upgrade to DirectX. Maybe the issue is fixed in a later version.

If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll scratch more heads.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote