Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-26-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
MagiK

Ok Im guilty of not doing any research here.. any one care to enlighten me? or to pontificate, obfuscate, or elucidate?

Just trying to make sense out of why these silly protestors are so intent on harassing innocent people just trying to get to work in the morning who have nothing to do with the IMF or World Bank....their aim is to "Shut this City Down" speaking of Washington DC today.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Most of the time protesters have nothing better to do, regardless of what side of the issue they pursue. They must not have a job since they are not at one. Also, having a protest is a great way to get attention for you cause, whether your cause makes sense or not.
I'm not saying that we should not protest if the need arises, nor am I saying that we should not have the right to protest. It's just that most protesters are like little children throwing a tantrum just to get some attention. Like you said, if they can't get their way they will "shut this city down". [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:19 AM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

IMF and World Bank meetings are high profile events where protester can get International Exposure for their cause... that's guaranteed to insure the maximum number of loons per square foot.

Those that are actually protesting IMF or World Bank policy usually are protesting the manipulation and exploitation of the third world by the first world (who are in control of the IMF and WB) through the auspices of said institutions.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:24 AM   #4
MagiK

Granted there are a fair number of wacko's out there today, but I keep hearing sound bites on TV saying that the IMF and World Bank are satans own kin.....All I know is that the IMF and World bank are responsible for loaning money to people....people who if they accept the loan...agree to make payments and tto repay the money. There is an interest fee attached, but that is to be expected...I mean hey, they could just as easily invest that money somewhere else and get a return.

Does the IMF and World bank go out and force people to take their moeny? Is it unreasonable for them to expect their loan to be repaid? I just dont get where the "Evil" part comes from...It sounds like the middle ages where the christians hated the jews (who were money lenders) so they subjected them to the inquisition and all kinds of opression and hate.....very confusing to me.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:38 AM   #5
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

these protesters are a motley bunch.they consist of paid union thugs(the rent-a-mob in the us),old hippies,neo-hippies,communists,and anarchists.and then you have the people who just have nothing better to do.
now as for why they hate the imf and wb?because they do not want the third world to improve.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:50 AM   #6
MagiK

Well that may be..but somehow I have a feeling that there has to be more to their anti-IMF stance than that.....I hope they are basing all this crap and bother over more than that...

Old 09-26-2002, 11:12 AM   #7
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

People should be able to come to the nations capital to express their views. That is a constitutional right that must be respected. It should be possible, however, to conduct days of events and planning peacefully- without threats of shutting the city down blah, blah.
The rights of voicing your views in an orderly fassion in the nation's capital should go hand in hand. Lately it seems like everyone threatens the city in this manner when staging a protest about something. Little do the protesters realize is that most of the people who work in the city are federal workers- they will get paid anyway
Old 09-26-2002, 11:23 AM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by *\Conan/*:
People should be able to come to the nations capital to express their views. That is a constitutional right that must be respected. It should be possible, however, to conduct days of events and planning peacefully- without threats of shutting the city down blah, blah.
The rights of voicing your views in an orderly fassion in the nation's capital should go hand in hand. Lately it seems like everyone threatens the city in this manner when staging a protest about something. Little do the protesters realize is that most of the people who work in the city are federal workers- they will get paid anyway
Yeah but those who aren't federal workers, consist of a mix of lower income family members...who by the way NEED their job and have to be there or don't get paid and the rich. The ... troublemaker protesters (as opposed to the people doing it right) cost the poor more than they inconvenience the rich. If all of the protestors would go out and get jobs, and donate the income to their cause they could solve the problem themselves mayhap? Buuuuutttttt Nooooooooooo
they have to block our streets, harrass innocent worker types and basicly be a nuisance...The first ammendment says you can protest and speak freely...it does NOT give you the right to force people to listen or even pay attention!

Old 09-26-2002, 11:45 AM   #9
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Agreed.

Last I heard, anything really important go's on in Brusell's anyway.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:54 AM   #10
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

The way I see it, protesting about anything invoulving Washington DC is impossible to take any notice unless you break down the white house gates and storm the front lawn... I saw a woman there once, with frizzy hair, who was complaining that Nuclear testing ruined here once fine and straight hair, and turned it into a grizzley bride-of-frainkenstien look...