Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2001, 12:58 AM   #1
Jarlaxle
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ok i've been given the tast to get a beholder's blood, and illithid's, or a kuo-ta prince's. i've already tried the illithid city and holy s*** that's evil! dunno if it's just me but i'd rather face beholders than illithids...at least i will not have my brain sucked out through my nose.

any tips on which to do and how to go about doing it?
Old 07-25-2001, 01:21 AM   #2
Laurel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Kuo-Toa dungeon is by far the easiest of the three. The beholder dungeon is just as hard, if not harder than the illithid camp, IMO.
The kuo-toa dungeon is basically just hack-n-slash fighting.
If you are going to do the illithid camp, I would have your cleric memorize lots of raise undead spells, as they are immune to the illithid's mind-#@$#ing powers. I would also have your mages memorize stinking cloud spells, or have the cloudkill wands equipped. One trick that I used before going into an illithid room was to send one mage and one fighter to the door before entering a room. The rest of my party hung out way in back of them. I had the fighter open the door, and then the mage used the wand of cloudkill. The fighter then closes the door immediately, and everyone runs like hell. If you get the door closed in time, the cloudkill kills all of the umber hulks in the room, and severely weakens the illithids. They may be able to screw with everyone's brains, but they don't have enough brains of their own to open the door and chase after you!
As for the beholder dungeon, it took me forever to get through that. I personally thought it was even harder than the illithid camp.
Oh, one more thing...if you're looking for experience and want to do all three camps, don't do them all at once. There is a time limit on that mission. Only do one of them, and return to the other camps later.
Hope this helps!!
Old 07-25-2001, 01:26 AM   #3
Jarlaxle
Elite Waterdeep Guard

when i did the cloudkill thing it just bounced off there spell resistance. i visited the illithid camp once and got to the room beyond that locked door (with the 3 umber hulks and 5 or 6 illithids) and my raised undead only last so long....
Old 07-25-2001, 01:34 AM   #4
Jake
Banned User

you can kill the whole Illithid dungeon with a fighter that has the ring of freedom

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 01:58 AM   #5
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

Use cleric spell chaotic commands on your fighters. Potion of genius returns them sucked int.

------------------
Barbucha - a bear's bugaboo
Old 07-25-2001, 01:39 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Raise Undead are great as Tanks against Mind Flayers but Umber Hulks rip through them like tissue paper.

Basically, cast Chaotic Command on a party mage and do the following rapidly.
  1. Open door.
  2. Cast a Cloudkill/Death Fog spell.
  3. Close door.
  4. Wait.

The spell will instant kill any Umber Hulk in it's area of effect. And may injure the Mind Flayers too. The reason why you need the Chaotic Command is to protect your Mage from the reaction psionics from the Mind Flayers which can pass through walls and doors.

Once the Umber Hulks are taken care of, use the Raise Undead spell to summon an undead army and let them tank for you while you hit the Mind Flayers from a distance.

Greater Malison and Lower Resist followed by Chromatic Orb is a great combo if your mage is Lvl 12 or above.

Tip:

If you want to find the locations of the Umber Hulks, Wizard Eye can be used, simply summon one, open door and fly the Wizard Eye in, the Umber Hulks and Mind Flayers will not attack it, just be careful not to let them see the person opening the door.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 07-25-2001, 01:44 PM   #7
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Chromatic orbs or domination on umbar hulks, and raise dead for mind flayers

personally though I played as an archer, hasted attacks with (i think its chaotic commands to stop confusion etc.) soon sorted flayers out. Go forward with one archer (thief or whatever. Even if they dominate you, that'll wear off and you ca start again. Also if they drain your intelligence run away, your brains grow back for some peculiar reason and pretty quickly too...
Old 07-25-2001, 04:12 PM   #8
dulouz
Manshoon

Both the Illithid city and the Boholders cave required a lot of patience. Esp. the beholders for me. It was a matter of separating a single beholder from the rest and fight it. Casting Death Fog and other area spells helped to keep other Beholders away from the fight long enough, and did some damage in the meantime to Umber hulks. Fireball was one of the most helpfull spells in the beholder cave. Imoen and my character had 2 or 3 each.

It was tough, and a lot of the time i ended up using all my summoning spells, in desparation sending a coupld Kobald Commandos in to take the 1st damages while i started flinging fire or whatnot. Doing all this without a cleric was really rough. Frickin Jaheria left me to go back to the Harpers right in the middle of the beholder caves...

Dulouz.

[This message has been edited by dulouz (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old 07-25-2001, 09:58 PM   #9
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Mordenkainen's Sword has no brain! Try it!

Thieves are VERY good against Mind Flayers- use traps and backstabs. They cannot see you if hidden.

Thieves have a rough time with the Kuo-toa fish men. Those buggers can see you coming!