Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-09-2001, 03:27 AM   #1
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Since I'm a new convert to the benefits of Ranger-dom I thought I'd start a new game - I've not even escaped from Jon's dungeon yet, but starting to think about what do when I get out.
I'd prefer to play with NPCs I like, but don't think that's going to work as it would mean a party of
Me (Stalker)
Minsc
Jaheira
Aerie
Anomen (replaced by Keldorn) and
A.N. Other - must be a thief (Jan I suppose).
Doesn't strike me as well balanced.

Other thing is - if a ranger dual-classes to Cleric - does he get the cleric weapon restrictions (ie, no more katanas)?

and what's the stronghold quest like?

Old 06-09-2001, 04:18 AM   #2
Dramnek_Ulk

THr ranger quest is the umar hills shadowlord one, The stronghold is a rubbish little hut. All multi classs clerics must abide by the weapon restrictions, so no more katanas or Ninja-to.

------------------

Old 06-09-2001, 10:33 AM   #3
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

Yeah, no more blades, so you ought to be careful about where those proficiency points are going. The Ranger's cabin is a fairly large hut, actually , and has some of the cooler stronghold quests in the game.
Old 06-09-2001, 04:27 PM   #4
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Yep if your going to dual class ranger/cleric, definetly put your proficiencies into 2 weapon style and like warhammer and maces. Maybe clubs, but definetly warhammer (crom faeyr)
Old 06-10-2001, 12:27 AM   #5
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

also if u go to cleric, youll get to use cleric and druid spells, which isnt a pretty good trade-off in my opinion. and the stronghold has some of the better rewards. at least 2 figureines and plenty of exp.
Old 06-11-2001, 03:13 AM   #6
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Well I believe if he changes over to a dual class ranger/cleric, he still goes through the ranger stronghold quest. I believe its the first class you have on your character determines the stronghold quest you do.
Such as Multi-class characters like fighter/thieves. I think they can do the castle stronghold for the fighter, but can't do the thieves stronghold unless they start as thieves.
Im not sure, but my multiclass characters never could do the strongholds of their 2nd or 3rd class. Always had to be the first.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:23 AM   #7
Cayle
The Magister

My stalker had:
Cayle (me),
Minsc,
Jaheira,
Aerie,
Nalia (while she was with Isea: Valgyar then Keldorn),
Floating pos: (Viconia, then Anomen and finally after ch4 Imoen)

This combo is VERY well balanced. I had some issues with Valgyar as this was the first time I used him. You will notice that his stealth score is terrible when you pick him up (37%, Minsc had better stealth in the planar sphere). I do not know why this is so, but it goes to over 100% after he levels up the first time. Also, he can’t backstab with katanas. I am not sure why bioware set him up with a weapon that neutralizes one of his kit benefits and gives him a crappy initial stealth. I did not shed too many tears when he got disintegrated. In later parties I discovered his potential and changed my opinion of him, but I recommend not keeping him after the planar sphere. One stalker in a party is enough and yours will probably be the better of the two.

Keep two sets of armor for Minsc: One for scouting (Night’s gift perhaps?) and one set of good plate for those stand-up fights. This allows you to use him both as a second scout and as a tank.

You may want to keep Keldorn if having a good tank is important. No matter how much fancy gear Jaheira has (she had red dragon plate, +3 club, +4 shield and girdle of hill giant STR), she will not be as good a tank as Keldorn or Minsc. Whether to keep him or get Nalia back was a vexing question for me. I went for Nalia and found the 3/3 fighter/mage combo very powerful.

-Cayle