Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #11
Tyrion
Quintesson

by just looking at the sceenshots i am suprised to see that from above, the grafics look like the style of BG 2. This is a really good thing!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

They really look more like KOTORII to me. But then without the empty hallways.

All in all, this game seems mighty worth it, I have a AMD XP2400, 1.5 GB ram and a GForce 6600 256 MB. And it runs on everything off except textures high. It still look way better than nwn(or oblivion in my opinion). I don't get any real slowdowns, but haven't been in any combat yet. The new character system is simply to cool and varied, so I'll spend a lot of time testing chars. Subraces is a nice touch. Also, I like the amount of dialog choices and importance of skills.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

The potential is there, the story and the system are all nice and fresh and new but good god the controls and UI are just killing it. Using the interface in this game makes you think the the dev's warped back to 6 years ago and learned nothing from any game released since then.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Actually, I think the controls and UI are way less clunky and bugged than NWN1. With patches and HOTU.

To be honest, I don't think any game released between now and 6 years ago delivered anything remotely interesting. I love the way Obsidian turned that around and showed they *did* learn from *true* good RPG classics like Fallout, BG and such.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #15
Zebodog

The GUI is a little unwieldy: hopefull I'll get used to it. It looks like they tried to combine the interface of KOTOR with the interface from NWN, but instead of getting the best of both, it ended up being the worst of each.

I'm no where near far enough into the game to make an intelligent assesment however it's made me put down Company of Heroes.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebodog:
The GUI is a little unwieldy: hopefull I'll get used to it. It looks like they tried to combine the interface of KOTOR with the interface from NWN, but instead of getting the best of both, it ended up being the worst of each.
Zebo said it. Oh I can see they *tried* but they failed terribly. They either didn't test it or didn't care. After coming from games like WoW where the UI is totally customizable and streamlined this is a step back.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:31 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

Also, I haven't worked out how to equip dual-wielded weapons in my quick slots - for a sword and shield you put the sword in one slot and the shield in another, but I haven't been able to check if the same applies for dual wield. Anyone know?
I can answer my own question. Dual-wield for the quickbar is coming in Patch 2, according to Obsidian.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Quote:
quote:

Also, I haven't worked out how to equip dual-wielded weapons in my quick slots - for a sword and shield you put the sword in one slot and the shield in another, but I haven't been able to check if the same applies for dual wield. Anyone know?
I can answer my own question. Dual-wield for the quickbar is coming in Patch 2, according to Obsidian. [/QUOTE]I was able to Patch the game the first day and useing the DVD verison.
Then by using the exotic feat I have been able to Duel-wield 2 Bastard swords
from the moment I found the first merchant, also on the first day but until
I took the Exotic feat I couldn't Duel-wield.
What I have noticed about the game is it seams to be behind the times in the
graphics flow department compaired to games like WoW and Guild Wars.
Last night was the first time in along time I used the pause function.
I spend most my computer Game time playing Guild Wars and there is no
pause so I forgot about that function until I looked at the HotKey chart
and saw Pause -- Spacebar.
Its been more than a year since I've played NWN 1 and its really strange
playing with the totally different control system but it still seems a little
out of date in ease of use and the differences in the mouse function.
The Game so far is fun and I haven't had any trouble other than getting the
mouse control system differences down.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #19
Glycerine_74
Dungeon Master

It sounds like the single player game is very good, but the interface and poor performance was enough to give it the wipe on my PC. Actually it was more the interface, as the performance wasn't really as bad as I had expected. The performance was playable, but I didn't really feel like it was worth it given the quality of the graphics. Luckily I borrowed a friend's copy to try out before going out and buying myself. I'm really glad I did. [img]smile.gif[/img]

glyc

[ 11-08-2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Glycerine_74 ]
Glycerine_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #20
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I would just wait and see. This isn't like DDO where you'd say "My god, it's a disaster and can never change". It's more like it wants to be something but just isn't that something yet. The OC is for sure a great one, and I can see they are trying but right now it isn't what it can be given a few major patches. As with many Atari games, it simply isn't ready yet.