Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-12-2002, 11:52 AM   #21
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Does it matter if you killed your attacker iwth a gun? or your fist? or a knife? I single defensive punch can be lethal. I think the moral blame should go with the attacker and not the defender. If you are attacked and the situation ends with the attacker dead, I believe that it might just serve as a deterent to other would be attackers.

The again I believe a society where most of the population is armed would be a much more polite society too...You wouldn't see nearly so many cases of road rage if the "perps" knew that any of the surrounding cars probably had people who just might take offense and fight back with possibly deadly force.

ahh but then you would have the old west syndrome full of lynch mobs and Ox bow incidents guess humans just can't win [img]smile.gif[/img]

I agree with you, even if my previous post is a little unclear. Yes, moral blame lies with the attacker, not the defender, regardless of the outcome.

Studies have shown that localities in which "concealed carry" laws exist have rates for some types of crime decrease significantly. I would be much less likely to rob you if you might be carrying a gun, unless I am either crazy or desperate.
Apparently, when a society's populace loses the ability to deal maturely and sanely with situations (evident in the cases of road rage, air rage, hockey dads, etc.), then external methods of enforcing peaceful resolution must be developed, such as concealed carry laws.
Let me also state that much to the dismay of anti-gun proponents, an absence of guns does not lead to a reduction in crime. There are plenty of places in the world in which it is illegal to own guns; their crime rates do not drop significantly.
Finally, ignore Hollywood--the Old West was not laden with daily gunfights and masked bandits robbing trains left and right. The percentage of movie-type behavior was quite low; it has just been sensationalized over several decades. (The Ox-Bow Incident is a good movie, I must admit.)

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #22
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Actually John Cusacks character does die in the movie. He is the one who reaches over the lead wall to knock apart the two enriched uranium hemispheres. They were creating a critical mass. He recieved a lethal dose saving everyone else.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:35 PM   #23
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
Finally, ignore Hollywood--the Old West was not laden with daily gunfights and masked bandits robbing trains left and right. The percentage of movie-type behavior was quite low; it has just been sensationalized over several decades. (The Ox-Bow Incident is a good movie, I must admit.)

Oh I know the gun fights were not that common, what I ment was the proportion of the populace that was armed was far far higher there [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the Ox Bow Incedent it was a real historical happening, I never saw the movie but I learned the history.

Old 03-12-2002, 03:41 PM   #24
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Actually John Cusacks character does die in the movie. He is the one who reaches over the lead wall to knock apart the two enriched uranium hemispheres. They were creating a critical mass. He recieved a lethal dose saving everyone else.

Yes, his character dies; I meant in real life. No one in real life died during Project: Manhattan. That is historical fact.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:25 PM   #25
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Quite correct Azred. The movie simply shows some of what happens to someone who recieves a lethal dose of radiation. We were also taught, if you pass out from a dose of radiation, you had best have your affairs in order. You're already dead.

The pictures I refer to were taken of someone unknown. As the story was told to me...

He had two pieces of what he thought were spent fuel rod on his desk. One day he was playing with them and placed them together.
Wha'la! Instant critical mass...and nasty things ensued from there.
The images make just about anything you have seen look like a bad 1955 movie special effect. I can still see them in my minds eye...with terrible clearity.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:18 PM   #26
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Because you have to draw a line somewhere. If using one is okay then maybe using more than one is okay. Nuk weapons are also a long lasting Bio hazard. Fission is dirty, period. The environment simply isn't designed to withstand that type of poison.
The U.S. doesnt use fission weapons, the nuclear weapons now in inventory are all fusion based devices, they do however have small fission triggers though.

[ 03-16-2002, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 03-14-2002, 01:28 PM   #27
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

MagiK's right on that one, and many things fission could possibly be adapted for (luckily many of the more destructive ones) are too advanced at the moment, or in development.