Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-08-2001, 07:03 AM   #1
NIcademis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What are your suggestions on how to efficiently kill large numbers of greater and gauth beholders??

------------------
~Nicademis Wyrmslayer~
Old 09-08-2001, 07:16 AM   #2
Istaron
Banned User

Without that shield of balduran? Not really. Abi Dalzim, Elementals ec.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-08-2001, 07:18 AM   #3
Jim
Quintesson

It's very simple if you have the cloak of mirroring which absorbs all their damage (find it in the centre of the shaugin(sp?) city. Even better is the shield of balduran which you can buy of Derdrie in the Adventures' Mart, which actually reflects the damage back to them, so you can just waltz in there and do nothing and take them all dowm.
Old 09-09-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
NIcademis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks guys

------------------
~Nicademis Wyrmslayer~
Old 09-09-2001, 07:03 PM   #5
dulouz
Manshoon

Or Fireballs, lots and lots of fireballs from as far away as possible. A hasted Mazzy with a good bow helps too.

And then, more fireballs.

Dulouz.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:48 AM   #6
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think Fire elementals might do the trick, too... or spell turning.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:57 AM   #7
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

If your mage is high enough and you have 'mordenkainen's sword' spell, a few of those can chop up some beholders; only problem is there only around for 4 rounds and sometimes the elder orbes cast a 'death spell' that takes them out.
Skeleton warriors, cloudkill, incendiary cloud all work pretty well to atleats damage them severly, that's why you should keep high level scrolls around...

I've also been sucessful with a mass invisibility spell coupled with some haste spells and death wards to protect you. Just surround them and then strike quick. Personelly, I think that's just one of those creatures that is to dangeroud for the most part to battle, hence the shield of baulderan and the cloak of mirroring. I do agree with one tactic though, if you feel like taking that much time, mazzy or any good archer with boots of speed or haste and just pick them off, does work.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 09-10-2001, 06:47 AM   #8
Skunk
Banned User

If you don't have the 'shield of balduran' then cast four web spells into the area (web spells are not treated as offensive - so they won't attack you at that point), then as many cloudkills into the same area as you can.

Just to be safe,(Beholders have some magic resistence), I usely get Jaheira to cast entangle spells at the same time my mage is casting the cloudkill - that usually stops anyone from getting into range to attack you.

But of course, you really should buy the 'shield of balduran'...
Old 09-10-2001, 07:13 AM   #9
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

If you have the Staff of The Magi, that can really help your mage attack beholders, using its invis capability...

SPOILER -

5... 4... 3... 2... 1... I just had Edwin take out every beholder and gauth in the Beholder tunnel (in the Underdark) by himself without resting. He was invis with the S of Magi; as soon as he fired a fireball at a group of beholders he re-equipped the Staff to turn invis again - they never saw him. [This isn't cheating, is it?] Robe of Vecna helps too - speeds your casting time... might need that as well.

...Also it didn't hurt that he got the mindflayers to help out - summoned an ogre, beholders and mindflayers both went after it; after the ogre died, they saw each other and both groups ended up killing each other after a long fight.