Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 05-27-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

From IMDB

'Phantom Menace' Is "Worst Sequel Ever"

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace has been voted the worst movie sequel of all time in a poll by American TV network E!. The highly anticipated 1999 prequel beat off fierce competition from the likes of Batman & Robin, Speed 2: Cruise Control and Jaws: The Revenge, to be crowned king of disappointing follow-ups. The Phantom Menace - made over 15 years after George Lucas' original Star Wars trilogy - starred Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor alongside a cast of computer-generated creatures. Jeff Reid of E! says, "Liam Neeson gave the old Jedi a try, but Ewan McGregor looked like he was still in Trainspotting. And the convoluted storyline didn't help. If there's one sure thing about Hollywood and sequels, it's that no matter how bad a movie is, it can always be re-made worse. In Tinseltown, imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery - it's an established path to commercial success. But all-too-often, part deux is really part doo-doo."
Old 05-27-2003, 11:24 AM   #2
MagiK

<font face="COMIC Sans MS" size="3" color="#7c9bc4">
Such a lack of knowledge these people have...has no one seen Halloween:H2O? or how about Jason X? Or perhaps the vintage works of Roger Corman or "It came from outerspace II"? I think they are way off base. </font>
Old 05-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Maybe they are categorizing it by popularity or price range or fan expecatncy. Gotta admit, Star Wars should receive more hype than most other movies, and if it flopped, the fall would be from a higher ground than the others</font>
Old 05-27-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I think they were more than kind, Attack of the Clones should get worst movie title, as well as worst sequel (although Ewan McGreggor did much better, and I didn't hate JarJar as much, and Yoda... well his fight scene says enough)
Old 05-27-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
Lord Killjoy
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
From IMDB

Speed 2: Cruise Control
That's rough. Phantom was bad, but worse than speed 2? That's hitting them where it hurts.

[ 05-27-2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Lord Killjoy ]
Old 05-27-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
Attack of the Clones should get worst movie title,
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how Attack of the Clones is worse than the Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi? They're all corny and obvious! And frankly I think it's better than Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

I think they're forgetting Weekend at Bernie's 2 [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
Rokenn
Galvatron

My personal pick for worst sequel would be Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

The only saving grace of that movie was Christopher Lloyd.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:07 PM   #8
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

Batman & Robin... I actually paid to see that "Movie", if you can call it that. I almost demanded my money back, but then realized it wasnt the poor ticket guys fault, it was George Clooney's. (Although he did an acceptable job in The Perfect Storm) Ug, I hated Batman & Robin, hated it with a PASSION!
the sauceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:33 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
<font color=skyblue>Maybe they are categorizing it by popularity or price range or fan expecatncy. Gotta admit, Star Wars should receive more hype than most other movies, and if it flopped, the fall would be from a higher ground than the others</font>
Exactly. They are probably rating it based upon hype/expectation versus actual movie experience. There are many critics out there that have panned "The Swarm" as the worst movie of all time. Is that to say it is worse than "Plan 9 from Outer Space"? Not hardly. But Plan 9 was done on a shoestring budget with no stars other than Bela Legosi (who was out of the spotlight a long time before this film, and died 2 days into shooting). No one expected it to be good. The Swarm, on the other hand, had an all-star cast (Michael Caine in his prime, etc.), a huge budget, and a ton of hype. It is definitely a bad film. The special effects were garbage even by 1979 standards, the acting was horrible (a highlight was a female doctor walking into a room and noticing that a patient has died. Does she signal the emergency and try to resuscitate the patient? No. She simply yells flatly, "Carl, we have a problem."), and the script was a completely unbelievable pile of rotting horse dung. However, despite all of that, Plan 9 is a worse film than The Swarm. It just was not as huge of a letdown as The Swarm was.

Everyone was hyping The Phantom Menace like crazy. Everyone was waiting for George Lucas to recreate the magic, and many (including myself) were highly disappointed at the results. Did anyone expect Attack of the Clones to be better than Phantom Menace? The only reason I saw it in theatres was that the rest of my friends wanted to see it, and then I convinced them to go during a matinee.

Jason X, Halloween H2O, and Weekend at Bernies 2 were hardly hyped as huge blockbuster movies, nor did most people expect them to be very good. Now Star Trek III and Batman & Robin did get quite a bit of hype, but neither were considered to be as huge a blockbuster as The Swarm was supposed to be.

Anyway, I think that is the logic behind their thinking...
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:20 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
<font face="COMIC Sans MS" size="3" color="#7c9bc4">
Such a lack of knowledge these people have...has no one seen Halloween:H2O? or how about Jason X? Or perhaps the vintage works of Roger Corman or "It came from outerspace II"? I think they are way off base. </font>
Oh god, You HAD to remind me of Jason X? I actually laughed at that one! it was more comedy that anything!!!!

And.... Jason vs Freddy is coming. lol. Anyone gonna see THAT? Just to see how silly, silly can be?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote