Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-11-2001, 11:34 AM   #1
Tsunami001

HAve you ever been hit on the leg or the arm and because of the impact, recieved a "dead leg". Well if you have you'll know how annoying they are. I think it would be a great idea if this effect had been used in the Baldur's Gate series.

If one of your characters were perhaps struck on the leg with a critical hit they should temperarily lose a point to their dexterity, perhaps for an hour or so in game play. This effect could be used elsewhere on the body as well. For instance you could lose a point off the characters strength if they were hit on the arm, charisma or intelligence could be lost if they were hit on the head or maybe they could lose wisdom / constitution if they recieved a blow to the chest area.
what does everyone else think to this idea. It would certainly improve the fighting aspect of the game instead of just losing Hit Points.

Old 06-11-2001, 11:40 AM   #2
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Welcome to the board!

Nice idea, but there's no programmed damage location. I guess programming something like that would be tough. I suppose it could be done randomly (hit in the leg, hit in the arm, hit in the groin - PC bends over in agony!)

Heh! would make the Archer's called shot extra cool

[This message has been edited by antonius (edited 06-11-2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 11:45 AM   #3
Legolas the Elven Archer

Like you said, that would be annoying
I doubt it adds much to the fighting aspect of the game. After all, all you can do in a fight is tell your characters who to attack and with what. It's not like you can say "my fighter attacks the left toe of the goblin" or whatever.
Not that it's a bad idea, but people would just reload if they don't like the effect. ADND in real life is just not the same as on the PC (sigh...)

It would be cool if your character started to talk like Minsc afer taking a headwound

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-11-2001, 11:49 AM   #4
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:
Like you said, that would be annoying
I doubt it adds much to the fighting aspect of the game. After all, all you can do in a fight is tell your characters who to attack and with what. It's not like you can say "my fighter attacks the left toe of the goblin" or whatever.
Not that it's a bad idea, but people would just reload if they don't like the effect. ADND in real life is just not the same as on the PC (sigh...)

It would be cool if your character started to talk like Minsc afer taking a headwound

Or maybe like Garrick after taking a groin wound!
Old 06-11-2001, 11:56 AM   #5
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

dude, garrick already HAS a permenant groin wound! thats why hes... that way.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:17 PM   #6
Billikins the Bold
The Magister

The reason you don't get areas of the body hit is cos it doesn't happen in the D&D rules I guess. *cue reminising* I used to play Runequest (PnP) for just that reason, 'cos there was more detail. When there was a hit a d20 was used to determine which part of the body was hit and so on.

Please excuse me while I have a nostalgic interlude

*mutters to self "Course in my day we didn't have computers you know, just chalk, slate and dice made from bones..."*

------------------
Fear? I know not the meaning of the word. And you can keep that dictionary away from me!
Old 06-11-2001, 12:35 PM   #7
Leagle
Manshoon

Or maybe dying after one hit!
Old 06-11-2001, 12:56 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

On the one hand, this would be a very interesting addition to combat detail, allowing such things as crippling blows (imagine a critical hit to your opponent's sword arm); the most useful application of this would indeed be for the archers, who could now aim for the eyes (like Boo). Also, this would make available the much-dreaded sword of sharpness (Khazid'hea, anyone?) However, the reworking of the combat system is probably not something to expect any time soon.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....