Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-07-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

From posts here, I know to leave my gold in the bank when I leave town. [img]smile.gif[/img] Are there any other tips on how to reduce the chance of items being stolen by nymphs, etc.?

One thing I'm wondering about: since characters at the front of the party get attacked more often, are they also more vulnerable to being stolen from? I.e., will giving items to the character at the rear of the party reduce their chance of being stolen?

Also, will thief-types only take items from the general inventory area (the left hand section), or will they take items actually equipped or in the character's pockets (the right side of the inventory display)?

Just wondering if putting small quest items into the pocket inventory slots would protect them from light-fingered creatures.

I've finished up the crypt in the starting area and am busy exploring other areas around Valeia, and I don't want to lose quest items or other useful objects I've found.
Morrowind modder resources:<br /><br />PotionSaver script for Companions and other NPCs<br /><br />Teleport disable/trap and banishment scripts<br /><br />Morrowind mod:<br /><br />Unarmored Corrector V01 (for players)<br /><br />All on [url]\"http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Resources.html\" target=\"_blank\">Emma\'s web site</a>.
DinkumThinkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

1. Yes. Attempt to steal is an "attack". Characters, which are attacked more often, have proportionally higher chance to be robbed.

2. Only from the inventory. Equipped items cannot be stolen.

3. Stolen items are always dropped when the thief gets killed. Therefore, you cannot lose items. On the other hand, stolen money are lost forever.

Therefore, leave your money in the bank of take only such money from the town, which you will need. Check your inventory after every fight against thieves (all nymphs, all highland robbers, all ratlings, higher trolls, and also imps, at least some). If something is missing then check the dropped items.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

When possible - use distance spells on the monsters that steal.
If they can't get close to you, they can't take what you have!

If you do have a close battle with them - check the dropped items at the end of the battle.

And don't forget to SAVE SAVE SAVE! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sometimes them danged thieves can make me so mad! It's like an honest adventurer can't make a living killing things and taking the loot off of their bodies... or something [img]smile.gif[/img]

I find it annoying as well. I watch for the "stealing" motion and try to back up as soon as I see it start. I also check my pockets, so to speak, after a battle to make sure I haven't lost anything. And if I'm really paranoid, I'll split the gold among all the party members. If the thieves get one, they don't get it all.

But the best approach I've seen and used is the one Wyv mentioned -- get 'em from a distance Highland raiders and such are usually happy to attack you from a distance, but nymphs like to get up close and personal so they can *ahem* distract you. I've found that the Incinerate spell works wonders on them...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

Flamestrike is enough
Old 04-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Absolutely, friend Radek. But if they've snuck up on me, then I get caught in the blast. Incinerate doesn't do that... it just lets me hear their little screams....

Hmmm... that sounded a bit sadistic. It's not, really. It's all about revenge...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

Thanks again, everybody!
Morrowind modder resources:<br /><br />PotionSaver script for Companions and other NPCs<br /><br />Teleport disable/trap and banishment scripts<br /><br />Morrowind mod:<br /><br />Unarmored Corrector V01 (for players)<br /><br />All on [url]\"http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Resources.html\" target=\"_blank\">Emma\'s web site</a>.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:24 AM   #8
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

We have another Heinlein fan, I see. Welcome, cobber!

I'll add a general rule I learned from Doom in '93:

Always run.

I've never seem to have problems with thieves, except when playing someone -- say, an old & grey wizard -- which requires that I walk at a stately pace to stay in character.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:29 AM   #9
Radek
Red Dragon

Try Merlin's Shield, Bungleau [img]smile.gif[/img] You'll be able to cast Firestorm on a melee fighting oponent without being hit.
Merlin's Shield is a mighty tool. It's a permanent icon on my character's portrait once he can cast the spell and once his Sorcery is enough good.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:06 AM   #10
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:
We have another Heinlein fan, I see. Welcome, cobber!
Congratulations!

I used this alias (along with the same 'From:' location) on several Morrowind forums for several years as a very active poster, and I also used it on some of the Everquest sites for a year or so a long time ago.

And I'm fairly certain you are the only person who's ever commented on where the name comes from. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:
I'll add a general rule I learned from Doom in '93:

Always run.

I've never seem to have problems with thieves, except when playing someone -- say, an old & grey wizard -- which requires that I walk at a stately pace to stay in character.
I'm just starting to get into the game, and haven't noticed anything important or valuable disappear yet, but from reading old posts here I gather that people have sometimes lost quest items or other valuables to thieves, so I thought I'd ask for advice just in case.

Most of the quest items I've run into have either been equippable or small enough to go into the pocket inventory slots, so I think I'll be OK as long as I'm careful how I carry things. Gold I store in the bank when I leave town, and losing what I pick up out of town isn't going to break the game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My characters are perpetually short on cash, so I'm always careful to pick up everthing (aided by Spirit Eye) after a battle. And I've been preaching the 'Save early, save often' line for CRPGs for more years than I care to think about.