Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
JakesOrBetter
Dungeon Master

I was told to steal a Pendent or necklace from the Weather Mistress to solve this quest, But I can't find her. Anyone know were she might be?

Also, any tactical hints for defeating the party at the top of the stairs in the guarded compound. Getting my ass handed to me every time.

Thanks
JakesOrBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

the Weather Mistress is in the room to the left as you walk in to the temple of Talos (in the temple district)

and I'm sure everyone else's advice on the guarded compund will be better than mine because I have trouble with that one too
1 tip though: cast true sight before you go up
Old 01-06-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

She is located in the Temple of Talos, in the south-western room. You can only steal the Pendant at night, though, unless you're willing to go in there and slaughter everybody.

As for the Guarded Compound, you'll need to provide us with a bit more information, mainly what your party looks like. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:32 AM   #4
JakesOrBetter
Dungeon Master

10 lvl Cavalier
10/10 Magic User/Thief
Minsc
Korgan
Valygar
Jaheira

Just looking for some general advice.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:15 PM   #5
dark soul
The Magister

well i cant tell u any good advice cuz u already know once u get up the stairs.....there r traps and it takes awhile to be detected and disarmed.....but u dont have the time cuz they will be attackin and one of ur NPC will move and trigger the trap and well it hurts......this is how i always beat them easily...but its a cheesy way of doin it
cheesy way of beatin the guarded compound dudes
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
before u go up the stairs...and if u have Yoshimo in ur group....set some traps downstairs.....now have ur party go up the stairs and wait til someone is movin to attack ur group....go back down stairs and they will follow except the mage and the cleric....sometimes the cleric does follow.....well go downstairs....they will follow and you kill them.....once everyone is dead except the mage and sometimes the cleric, go up stairs and just fight them head on and it will be easy...but its the easy way of doin it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
dark soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The Guarded Compound is definitely one of the harder fights. If you have not installed Weimer's Tactics Mod...the best advice is to use a standard "Hit & Run". Go up the stairs - launch a few attacks - and retreat back downstairs. From what I understand, the Tactics Mod eliminates this option (not something I'm looking forward too...I much prefer to lure the enemy to an area of my choosing). Anyway....here is how I would do it.

Have your mage/thief go Invisible and send him up the left staircase. This will bring him into the lower part of the room upstairs. This puts you on the opposite side of the room from the Hiding Thief who is waiting to Backstab you. Immediately cast Cloudkill centered right next to the mage. If you don't have Cloudkill, Stinking Cloud will do. Both of these spells will hopefully knock out a couple of opponents and should eliminate the mage from casting.

Once the Cloud goes off, follow up with a Fireball. That will deal out some nice, general damage to all the enemies...whether you can see them or not. Now it's time to bring in the reinforcements. Bring the rest of the group up the staircase behind you and have them begin attacking anybody that isn't knocked out by the Cloud. Use missile weapons if they are not advancing, or send your tanks into melee if they are. Also have Jaheira and the mage Summon Monsters or Call Woodland Beings as soon as the Cloud dissipates. These spells are highly recommended by the Cannon Fodders R Us gaming commission.

Two things to consider. Jaheira is a good back-up tank and a back-spellcaster. You may want to hold her back and have her attack with a sling rather than advancing to melee. That way, she is still far enough away from the action to cast any needed spells (like HEALING!!!!!). Also, you may want to have Valygar Hide in Shadows and try to open his attacks with a Backstab.

VERY IMPORTANT!! Concentrate ALL of your attacks on a single opponent. DO NOT SPREAD YOUR GROUP OUT!!! The enemies fall MUCH faster when the odds are 6-1 against them...and the other enemies usually won't be able to hit you often enough to do any major damage before it is their turn for some "Group Therapy".

I figured this out about halfway through BGII the first time. My initial strategy was to always divide the fighters up and send them after different opponents. Then use the mages and thieves to provide "cover fire and support". After losing one battle about 6 times this way, I finally got ticked off. There was one member of the other party that was more powerful than any single character I had...so he would kill whoever I sent against him and then move on to the next target...usually killing them too. After about 7 tries, I just had EVERYBODY jump on this guy. He went down in about 3 rounds and only scored one hit on one character of mine. The others fell just as easily.

Final note on Guarded Compound. Whenever you start taking serious damage....RETREAT!!!! One or two of the opponents may follow you. But that gives you strength in numbers downstairs without having to worry about THEIR friends jumping you from behind.

Good Luck. Be sure to post the tale of your inevitable victory here.
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c;f=2;t=019476
I look forward to reading about your heroic success.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

2 spells will render the original( and to a certain extent, the Improved one) Guarded Compound party laughably easy... ...

Greater Malison + Emotion

Proceed to poke them to death with great mirth and mucho backslapping. Honestly... most of the enemies in the game are pokeable to death, even the Improved version ones. I must be the master sadist of death by pokeage.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #8
JakesOrBetter
Dungeon Master

Ok, only 1 problem, the game will not let me send just one person up the stairs, I get the damn "You must gather your party.." message. Should I send the whole parry and then retreat, hoping they will follow?
Old 01-06-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

They will follow if you turn AI off and select all of them, then click the stairs.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:31 PM   #10
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Use mind bender spells.

I find that a nice Greater Malison works well, then Chaos or Confustion, then cast Dire Charm or Domination on Koshi. (The guy with Celery Fury) He will then procede to chop people to bits for you, with the useful stun ability, the fight ends pretty darn quick. Also, Insect Plague is supreme, as it takes out all of the spell casters.

Really, the fight is pretty easy, not that hard, just boils down to tactics and using the most basic in spellcraft. When most of the enemies are big brain dead fighter types, break out the mind altering swirly pretty colours sort of spells. Also, if Koshi keeps resisting charm, just cast Spook on him. That will take him out of the fight in a hurry. Mage about to cast a nasty spell? Spook. Spook owns all. It's that darn good. Hardly anything in the game can resist Spook. Even Dragons fall prey to you saying "BOO!" and will scoot away from you at top speed. When all else fails, remember, cast Spook.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote