Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2001, 10:15 PM   #11
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
No offense meant MILAMBER but I find your signature to be in extremely bad taste.

There is no need to add an image of the destruction to images representing the strength of this country...it only serves as a constant horribly graphic reminder to others not just of what happened but that we, as a nation have been (wrongfully) conditioned to find something admirable in violence and destruction. Its pretty sickening.

Just my opinion.

I agree. And I go further:

Personally - and boy, AM I going to get slammed for this! - I find ALL these patriotic symbols recently added to sigs to be utterly tasteless. I feel rather nauseated every time I see 'em. And I would feel the same if it had happened in the UK and people were adding UK patriotic symbols to their sigs. I can't stand jingoism.
Just my opinion.
I imagine the ones that use them do so as a small act of defiance to the terrorists.

------------------

Old 09-13-2001, 10:48 PM   #12
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
No offense meant MILAMBER but I find your signature to be in extremely bad taste.

There is no need to add an image of the destruction to images representing the strength of this country...it only serves as a constant horribly graphic reminder to others not just of what happened but that we, as a nation have been (wrongfully) conditioned to find something admirable in violence and destruction. Its pretty sickening.

Just my opinion.

I still LOVE the sig Milamber!!!

After all, we are Americans who have a great love for our country!

I don't see the problem with showing pride for the country you live in. Especially when it has just suffered a great loss and may be on the verge of war. We need each other in this time, and seeing these sigs is a reminder that we are uniting once more.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else. But from that day forward, mothers would tell their kittens that if they were not good, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him.

[This message has been edited by Liliara (edited 09-13-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 10:49 PM   #13
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Cool!

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

The Spaminyte Emperor
Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-13-2001, 11:17 PM   #14
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
What's wrong with a reminder? What would you call the Vietnam memorial? That's a reminder too. How did you come to the conclusion that it is somehow saying that violence is good? Are you saying that I am supporting the terrorists by my sig? Don't read too much into things. It is completely innocent I assure you. It was intended to be a reminder and a statement that we are still strong and will overcome. That is why there is a picture of the statue of liberty in the background with smoke all around it then a picture of it in pristine order proudly making a statement. There is a picture of the ruined towers next to a symbol of our country's freedom that we need to defend against terrorists. I can't imagine how you could see it as anything but patriotic.

The Vietnam Memorial is a wall full of names, not depictions of people dying horrible horrible deaths.

I am not saying that you support the terrorists, I just think that Americans have been conditioned to glorify violence when it should be abhorred (look at our most popular movies...violence...popular music...a lot of it contains violence, etc. etc.) I just don't think it is tasteful to show graphic depictions of violence against this country alongside symbols that represent the strength of this country. You may as well add some burned bodies or better yet, buckets of body parts as I see it.

I understand your interpretation of it, I just don't approve of it OK?

I am not asking or demanding that you remove it...it just turns my stomach to see it every time I read a thread in which you have posted and portrayed this signature...it is not always easy to scroll past it without seeing it and knowing I have to avoid looking at it is a constant reminder of what I see in it.
It is my problem...a desire not to have to be exposed over and over again to the loss of life in this country...our citizens and citizens of countries around the world...in such a graphic manner, as mild as it is in comparison to pictures of actual burned bodies or buckets of body parts.

Fljotsdale, in contrast to how you feel, I think that symbolism integrated into signatures promoting patriotism is fine and shows some deeper caring about this country from our members who have chosen to add them. It is what this country needs right now...I just don't feel that the depiction of the burning towers is tasteful to add among them in spite of it being the cause for grief and a call to patriotism in this country right now.
Not being an American, it cannot be expected for you to fully appreciate it but knowing the view that a majority of Eurpoeans have of Americans and America, your opinion of them is understood, at least by me.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-13-2001, 11:20 PM   #15
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
I agree. And I go further:

Personally - and boy, AM I going to get slammed for this! - I find ALL these patriotic symbols recently added to sigs to be utterly tasteless. I feel rather nauseated every time I see 'em. And I would feel the same if it had happened in the UK and people were adding UK patriotic symbols to their sigs. I can't stand jingoism.
Just my opinion.
I imagine the ones that use them do so as a small act of defiance to the terrorists.

Hell yes it's defiance to the terrorists. They can't shake my pride in our country. Fljotsdale, would you take offense to driving by someones house and seeing a flag outside? How is it different? What if I was really into football, and I had the flag or mascott of the team I like in my sig. I would think that pride in your homeland is more important then pride in a team. Would one be more wrong then the other? Anyways, my opinion differs from both of yours aparently and we will have to agree to disagree. I apologize if this sickens anybody, but I see no reason to change. Actually, I'll amend that. I am going to change it a bit (take out the burning towers) but I'm still going to have a patriotic sig, and once again I apologize if that's going to bother you. It's going to be there until I'm asked to remove it by a mod, or the whole board revolts against it and everyone asks me to remove it.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-14-2001, 12:34 AM   #16
Moni

Don't take out the burning towers just because they offend me...if you like them there feel free to leave them there...that is your right you know and I never asked you to remove them, I just stated my opinion of them in regard to my own personal feelings...like I said, that is my problem.

I do think that your symbols of true patriotism (the flag, the eagle and the Statue of Liberty) are honorable and I would be appalled if anyone asked for their removal! There is nothing wrong with loving your country and if people can't understand that, it is merely (IMO) an extension of their dislike for us or for their own country.

Showing signs of unity in this time of crisis is really a noble and honorable gesture.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 12:35 AM   #17
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
The Vietnam Memorial is a wall full of names, not depictions of people dying horrible horrible deaths.

I am not saying that you support the terrorists, I just think that Americans have been conditioned to glorify violence when it should be abhorred (look at our most popular movies...violence...popular music...a lot of it contains violence, etc. etc.) I just don't think it is tasteful to show graphic depictions of violence against this country alongside symbols that represent the strength of this country. You may as well add some burned bodies or better yet, buckets of body parts as I see it.

I understand your interpretation of it, I just don't approve of it OK?

I am not asking or demanding that you remove it...it just turns my stomach to see it every time I read a thread in which you have posted and portrayed this signature...it is not always easy to scroll past it without seeing it and knowing I have to avoid looking at it is a constant reminder of what I see in it.
It is my problem...a desire not to have to be exposed over and over again to the loss of life in this country...our citizens and citizens of countries around the world...in such a graphic manner, as mild as it is in comparison to pictures of actual burned bodies or buckets of body parts.

Fljotsdale, in contrast to how you feel, I think that symbolism integrated into signatures promoting patriotism is fine and shows some deeper caring about this country from our members who have chosen to add them. It is what this country needs right now...I just don't feel that the depiction of the burning towers is tasteful to add among them in spite of it being the cause for grief and a call to patriotism in this country right now.
Not being an American, it cannot be expected for you to fully appreciate it but knowing the view that a majority of Eurpoeans have of Americans and America, your opinion of them is understood, at least by me.

"And the rockets red glare,
the bombs bursting in air..."

It seems some of our country's most significant symbols are tied into violence.

Anyways, it's a moot issue now. Is this better?

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB

[This message has been edited by MILAMBER (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 12:59 AM   #18
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Not that it means much but that sig is 100 times better IMO! Alot better than seeing the twin towers exploding. Plus it reminds some of us of our roots in this country. We've come along way.

------------------

"Heads are gonna roll..."
Old 09-14-2001, 01:02 AM   #19
Moni

I don't see any difference LOL.
I just noticed Zeeke's and Liliara's sigs have the towers in them as well, although they are intact in Liliara's they not longer exist!

Don't mind me...I am finally reaching the point where I can finish crying over it all, where I have had enough of being exposed to it and where I know I'll find a direction towards healing the emotional wounds that all of this has opened up in me.

Thank you for wishing me luck on my tests tomorrow.
It is extremely hard to concentrate on Texas' History right now and I fear coming close to failing that one. Had I been born and raised in this state, I'd probably know most of, if not all of the info but it is all new to me and I can feel the info escape me as I read it over and over again...I just can't concentrate on much of anything at this point.
I'm going to need all the luck I can get.
Thanks again and goodnight.
*Hugs*

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 01:03 AM   #20
Moni

Why am I seeing the one with the towers burning still?

------------------