Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2001, 05:08 AM   #91
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

If it helps any, Liliara, I didn't take offence at your posts. I understand too well how Americans are feeling right now, and we have all to make big allowances for each other.
I guess this whole thing was my fault for not keeping MY feelings to myself. I should have been more sensitive. And I certainly should not have let my feelings show to Moni, by overreacting to something she said. I was cut to the quick by the comment she made, but at my age I should have had more self-control. I did not react much to her subsequent posts because she made it clear I had hurt her, no matter how unintentional it was on my part.
My feelings are nothing in comparison to what happened in America.
I DO find jingoism very threatening, but I now realise expressions of patriotism are seen differently in the US.
Our language is similar, but our culture is different, hence it is easy for misunderstandings to arise.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old 09-16-2001, 06:00 AM   #92
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Liliara, I'm sorry you feel hard done by. Who said you were flaming? This has nothing to do with flaming, this has to do with trying to manage a very emotional situation that could easily erupt into flames. As I said before I respect your right to express your opinion and the fact that you feel very proud of our country. I'm just asking you to be more considerate to other members, irrespective of their views. That same sentiment has been communicated to Moni both privately and publicly on many more occasions than to you, so I fail to see why you feel singled out by this.

Quote:
Posted by Liliara:
Tobbin, thank you for your support. It's sad that another member had to be the one to point out that I have a right to my own opinion as much as anyone else here.
Who said you didn't have a right to your opinion? My issue is not with you exressing your opinion but in how you expressed it. I posted this in my first post on this thread:

Quote:
Posted by Memnoch:
"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

This is the cornerstone around which the concept of freedom of speech is built, as long as it is done with respect for others.
I thought this statement was pretty clear?

Quote:
Posted by Liliara:
JINGOISM RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are many ways to hurt people without flaming. The above was an example and I am glad you edited it out. After you had already posted your views on jingoism immediately prior, you then felt the need to come back ten minutes later to "twist the knife in", so to speak. Would you be acting the same way if all of us were sitting in a pub having a beer? That's all I'm saying to you. Nobody's taking away your freedom of speech. Would you toss a cigarette in a dry forest in the heat of summer? Don't misinterpret my words and arrive at the wrong conclusion.

Quote:
Posted by Liliara:
As for what was personally said to you in an e-mail, Memnoch has mine too. Maybe it would have been a bit more fair to have treated them equally, even though I never FLAMED anyone.
Secondly, my email to Moni was in response to an email she sent to me. If you had sent me the same email to me I would have been more than happy to provide you with a response.

Finally, it's not my intention for this to turn into a slanging match, so this will be my last response on this thread. I've said my piece and given you a detailed explanation of my actions. You are of course entitled to disagree that's the beauty of our forum. If you still feel hard-done by you are more than welcome to take this up with Ziroc, or myself by email.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 09-16-2001).]