Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-17-2000, 09:17 PM   #1
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Ah, I remember it well, the early 80's, playing on my little Odyssey2 console. Programming my first BASIC program on a Timex Sinclair. Playing River raid on my Atari VCS. If you remember these games, you owe it to yourself to check out Classic Gaming . I just stumbled across it, and it is a great trek down memory lane. Viva la M.U.L.E. !
Old 11-17-2000, 09:25 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I must have been busy playing Rogue and Larn on my pc!

But it did get me thinking about which long gone games I would like to see come around again (and not just a collection which still wants to run in dos when you've got windows).
Anyone remember a game called Below the Root by Windham?? I loved being able to "shuba dive" in that game!!

Wyv
Old 11-17-2000, 09:25 PM   #3
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Hmm.. it was supposed to show up as 20+ in the subject header, but it did not.. must be an unrecognized character.

Anyway, do you remember the first video/computer game you ever played?

What's your single favorite game of all time? If you can't pick one, define it like this; which game did you spend the most time with?
Old 11-17-2000, 09:28 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Larn

or maybe it was Larn

no, must have been Larn

Actually that is not my FAVORITE game of all time, just the one I probably spent most time playing. As for my true favorite - I will have to think about that over night at least.

Wyv
Old 11-17-2000, 09:28 PM   #5
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Rogue!! That game holds a distinction as being, quite possibly, the only game I've ever "cheated" in.. backing up my save game files so if I died from a Troll on level 13 I didn't have to start over.. remember the great wands of polymorph? Oh, Mr. Vampire, you're a Kestral now! hehehe...
Old 11-18-2000, 02:31 AM   #6
Gaijin

@. . . . .T

Oh no look it's a TROLL!!! Run for your life!!!

You know, I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I still play NetHack from time to time. Got the nifty color tiles and everything, I do!

Anyone remember Master of Magic??? I think I probably lost at least one girlfriend to that game. Ooo and Civilization of course. Played The Bard's Tale into the ground too.

I've got the very first home entertainment system that was ever made, the Odyssey (just for collector's value). It's got these transparent plastic sheet overlays for each game that you stick over your TV screen that represent the "graphics". The interactive graphics themselves are little white dots that you move around with the controller. Top that!

Old 11-18-2000, 09:25 AM   #7
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Master of Magic! That's in my top 3 of all time favorites, Gaijin! What a game. I can't believe that it hasn't been updated.. we get MAster of Orion 3 coming out (real-time combat.. whee! *snort*) but not MAster of Magic 2. I still fire that bad boy up from time to time. What was your favorite race to play? I always loved the high-men (no double entendre intended.)

I think one of my favorite parts of the game was the ability to customize the items you find.. I remember spending about 3 hours one night modifying each and every one of the 100+ special items available in the game. Hehe!
Old 11-18-2000, 04:17 PM   #8
Gaijin

Lizardmen. Nuff said .

Actually, Alan Emrich and the guys working on MOO3 have indicated a number of times that they'd love to do MoM2. I'm going to buy MOO3 for no other reason than that. Hopefully if it sells well, they'll remake MoM.

Got my fingers crossed, yup.

Old 11-20-2000, 12:34 AM   #9
Vagabond

Wow! I was beginning to think I was the only gamer to suffer from nostalgia. All the games mentioned were great, Rogue, Bard's Tale, etc. I remember watching my dad play those games on our Atari 520 ST when I was about 7 years old. It wasn't long after that I took them up for myself. I loved MoM too, though that was almost a modern game! My favorite game of all time though was Phantasie. God I must have beat that game 20 times. Killing the Minor Diety and Zeus was the most fun I've ever had in a game, and God swords rule!!!!!!! I hope somebody out there knows what I'm talking about. Dungeon Master also has to go down as one of the greats.

Speaking of Phantasie, anyone know where I can get a working ST emulation? I have PaCifiST but the only emulation of Phantasie I've found doesn't seem to work.

Old 11-20-2000, 11:49 AM   #10
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

hey slip, gaijin

The best RPG I have played to date was called "Dungeons of Daggorath"...it was released for the Tandy Color Computer in the early 80's. Real time combat...and I must say, it was the most original, unique and utterly scary as hell RPG I have ever seen.

I actually finished it, the hardest game I have ever completed on any video game system (and I've played many, let me tell you).

By today's standards it would be quite lame, but I just remember doing my save games on a cassette recorder that failed 75% of the time! It was so friggin scary, you could hear your heart beating, monsters approaching you. A god awful interface made playing it a real pain, and your character would pass out, faint, etc. I hope I could find it on emulation some day...a true classic.

I'm working on a new story for your site about the life of a teenage RPG player, and all the dumb thing me and my crazy friends did trying to play those silly games.

I dont think I've ever lost a girlfriend over a game, I'd gladly toss a computer out the window for a nice gal anyday.

Scronan