Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 11:28 AM   #1
countpudyoola
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would just LOVE to know some of the tactics you guys used to get past the umberhulk-fest room in the cellar in Nalia's keep. My idiots keep getting confused and pummelled. Not necessarily in that order.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:30 AM   #2
Aurican
Elminster

The best way to battle the dreaded unber hulk is to find items that give you mind shield. That is, protect you from mind attacks like confusion.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Old 03-19-2001, 11:33 AM   #3
Lillie
Dungeon Master

slight spoiler hint below:
Umber hulks love dog stew. There's a reason those dogs are in the courtyard nearby

[This message has been edited by Lillie (edited 03-19-2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 11:54 AM   #4
white heron
Manshoon

Cloudkill is pure death to umberhulks.
use an improved invisible mage to stand a few feet back from the door,so that when you open it they will not see you,- cast cloudkill into the room and shut the door.Most will die instantly and if there is one or two left then cast chaotic commands on a couple of fighters and kick their butts.

------------------
"The temple is I and I am the temple".
Old 03-19-2001, 12:01 PM   #5
Gray Mage
Banned User

I used chaotic commands, cast it on them and they stood there to take the beating I handed to them. This was later on, in a later chapter. See below for the keep
>>>>Spoiler<<<<<<
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>
>
At the keep though I used Yoshi, hide in shadows and placed the stew. They are suckers for that stew.

------------------

Feel My Power

Arcane Adept of the OHF, "So let it be written, So let it be done"

[This message has been edited by Gray Mage (edited 03-19-2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 12:28 PM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I remembered my solo experience VS umber hulks, OMG, it was a PIA (pain in the ass) I was an assasin/fighter then, I had to take care the umber hulks in the mage's tower in sewer. boy, those guys rocked me so many times.

I tried to cast horror out of there sight, then invisible, go in, and charm one of the umber hulks with my ring of human influence. it took me a lot tries to get it right.

later, I just bought potion of clarity, it worked nice! and when I got the shield of harmony from tradmeet quest, they became really easy.
Old 03-19-2001, 01:14 PM   #7
countpudyoola
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cool thanks for the ideas. I've actually got the dogmeat and have been to the kitchen but can't seem to make stew out of it. I guess I would have thought of that before but I thought it was the snake guys (technical name) that were fond of the stew.
Old 03-19-2001, 01:25 PM   #8
Entreri
Manshoon

Cloudkill is the best way, I was frustrated by them to and decided to make a new plan by casting cloud kill. I was laghing seeing the effect. n 1 sec all of them were dead. just open the door while invisible, then your mage can be in the middle of the room casting cloud kill without eye range to the hulk. they all die and if not, they will come after you stepping in the range of the gas spell.

------------------
Maybe it's because I hate drows more than I hate Humans - Jarlaxle to Entreri
Old 03-19-2001, 01:46 PM   #9
deverece
Dungeon Master

To make dog stew you need four dog filets

------------------
Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
- Josey Wales
Old 03-19-2001, 02:15 PM   #10
The Xlord
Dungeon Master

When we are talking about Umberhulks, I can't understand that they can move, they look so big and clumsey, it can't be a hard task to run under the legs at the umberhulk and hit him from the back before he turn around.
I think that it comes from the dog food they are eating(dogs are fast and move easely) Are you geys not agree???

------------------
Defender and master of Good archmagic