Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2002, 07:33 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Can I dual-wield with only -2 penalty when I'm wearing chain mail? If no, what's my penalty for this? And If I wear plate mail it increaes to 4?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:03 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I tried this out with a dwarven fighter that I multi-classed to a ranger for one level. Using a light off-hand weapon and wearing mithral splint, he suffered a -4 / -8 penalty to his attacks.

My understanding is that the combined benefits of two-handed fighting and ambidexterity (ie: the ranger's dual wield special feat) ONLY kick in if you are wearing LIGHT armor. A chain shirt is classified as medium armor, so you only get the +2 benefit of using a light offhand weapon.

Try switching to Studded leather (clasified as light armor) and you should see the penalties drop considerably at the cost of only 1 step in AC. Both a chain shirt and studded leather have a max dex bonus of 4.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:04 AM   #3
ecarletti
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Rangers don't trully get "ambidextry" & "2 weapon fighting"
for free. They get sort of meta feats wich work like these
but ONLY if you have no or light armor.

If your character (not ranger) get the 2 feats, he could
dual fight in plate mail if he choose to do so.
ecarletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:39 AM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

so I can use two-handed sword as well for my ranger? or longsword+shield. I cant really decide can you give me some tip?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 08-01-2002, 08:14 AM   #5
DraconisRex

It's simple, do you want one more attack, plus lowering all your other attacks by two, or do you want to live?

Two weapon fighting is fine against enemies with a negative CR, like the goblins, orcs & what-not in Chapter 2. But when you're fighting tougher creatures you'd better bring heavier armour and a sheild, or a medivac unit.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:45 AM   #6
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

2 weapon fighting also works where you've got a big attack bonus so the penalties don't hurt. Plus creatures like dragons or giants have a total attack bonus of 15 or more so a shield isn't going to make much difference but you need all the attacks you can get just to hit them
Old 08-01-2002, 09:49 AM   #7
Kerneth
The Magister

As I noticed the other day fighting a certain dragon with my monk (ac29) vs my paladin (ac36), the extra armor class from the shield made the biggest difference not in how often I got hit, but in how often the knockdown feat put me on my butt. My monk would get knocked down, take a few melee hits, stand up, and...instantly get knocked down again. My paladin, on the other hand, only got knocked down a few times the entire fight, and had a much easier time with the dragon.

On the other hand, the paladin was prior to the latest patch, and I think they changed how often the monsters use their special attacks in that patch, because it sure seems I'm having more things use Feat attacks lately.
Kerneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:23 PM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

is there a difference between 2-handed swords and longswords? I mean you hit more often with a longsword?
Old 08-01-2002, 12:32 PM   #9
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
is there a difference between 2-handed swords and longswords? I mean you hit more often with a longsword?
Depends on how you roleplay. for the most part, two-handed swords POTENTIALLY do more damage (like 2-18 I think) whereas the longsword does 1-8. You can dual-wield with another weapon if you choose longsword though. You can't use a shield with a two-handed weapon. So the breakdown is:

Longsword:

Longsword + shield -> 1-8 hp damage + AC bonus

Longsword + another weapon -> same damage with longsword + damage with another weapon (you do get penalties with this type of fighting though and you have to have the dualing feat) If you have improved dual-fighting, there are MUCH less penalties (I just got Ranger level 9 and he got this automatically - I hit MUCH more often now)

2-handed sword:

2-handed sword -> 2-12 hp damage

Some people like 2-handed because of the extra damage, but a shield REALLY helps. I prefer using a longsword + shield, but am starting to use dual-wield for the cannon fodder encounters.

EDIT: Oh yeah, in answer to which one you HIT more often with, it depends on what you chose weapon specialization in. That weapon will hit more often (not counting +'s on the weapon)

[ 08-01-2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]
Old 08-01-2002, 06:15 PM   #10
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

no I mean weapon speed. recovery time. they all are the same? no of attacks