Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-12-2003, 07:38 AM   #121
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Nah, Nachtrafe, you don't seem to see the point Masklinn and Yorick were both raising. Which is : while you can kill with any number of items - a shovel, a needle, ... - only guns were specifically created to kill. Their purpose is to harm and kill - the purpose of a needle is to sew, of a shovel is to,well, shovel.
And you people seem to be missing his point. Yes guns are intended to kill. So what? Some people need killing.

I happen to believe that life is sacred, and should not be taken lightly - but there are lots of people out there that could care less about anyone elses safety. Those people are best dealt with by removing them from the gene pool as swiftly and effectively as possible - most prefereably during the commission of their crimes.

Osama Bin Laden is in that category, so is any common mugger or rapist.

Self defence is a perfectly good and reasonable reason to carry a gun; so is hunting.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:49 AM   #122
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
bring me a spade and 15 people!!! I'll show you easy.
Put me unarmed against a man with a spade and we'll see how long he has the spade. Against someone with a gun there's no contest. One person with a spade against 15 people would do nothing.

But this is a tired old argument.

Again, it would be interesting to see what would happen if the families of a victim of a gun murder took the gun company to court for putting such an instrument of death on the market.
[/QUOTE]
Navy Seals and Special forces types are constantly bragging about how their martial training will allow them to beat down any attacker and yet...they continue to get their asses whupped in bar fights Martial arts do not a fighting machine make....nor do they win all fights. A knife, a bat, a gun will win against a martial artist if used by someone who is familiar in weilding the weapon. There is a reason why weapons were invented and improved over thousands of years and man didn't just satisfy himself with using tae kwan do against his adversaries and food on the hoof.

Martial arts are fine, and can be useful, but I really think that some people really really buy too much into the hollywood hype.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:55 AM   #123
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
bring me a spade and 15 people!!! I'll show you easy.
Lol! You're right on the money with every post you've made tonight.

Why do these protestors care about how fast a gun can kill? It would be more humane to kill a man instantly with a gun than for me to get a spade after him! The assailant-turn-victim would suffer grandly at my counter-attack with another item besides a gun. A gun would be a quick and easy way out for him.

Now...notice that all the protestors dare not answer about what they would do if they were the ones being victimized? Would they wave by to their little girl, and say..."oh well, I guess we can have another daughter later...", or are they saying..."I am big enough in stature that no man will hurt my family...", or are they saying, "I will beg for mercy at the hands of my assailant, and hope he will be gentile..."...
Nope...they don't offer their heart's feelings because they either have never thought of it, too afraid to answer because deep down...they love their family enough to want to protect them at any cost, or they just enjoy being on the trend of "Gunz R Evil".

Hunter, you are right. A gun does not make a killer. A gun is a tool. Used in the wrong hands, a nail-gun or cordless power-drill or a chain saw will result in the same effect in the hands of a criminal mind.
[/QUOTE]As Charlton Heston said "you can take my gun from the cold dead fingers of my child's hand"
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-12-2003, 09:04 AM   #124
Masklinn

Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Do you feel so insecure where you live that you need a gun ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another Masklinn: Do you feel so insecure that you have to disarm everybody else to feel safe?
Yes Krustin, I do.

Thx for this question Krustin, it validates my points and it doesn't harm at all what I have said and what I stand for.

This is exactly the point, I didnt think about it, but this is it : I do feel insecure when I hear you guys talking about that matter.

Especialy when I hear people like you who say that some people "need" to be killed and that you're all for self defense and guns then yeah, I feel insecure, I'm even really scared.

(EDIT : To clarify my point : Yes I would feel very insecure to walk down the streets among people who all carry guns and who all think they know who needs to die and who not. + add that they go target shooting every sunday, they're well trained and they won't miss you at all)

Oh yeah, we indeed live in a dangerous world.

[ 02-12-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Masklinn ]
Old 02-12-2003, 09:12 AM   #125
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
man didn't just satisfy himself with using tae kwan do against his adversaries and food on the hoof.

Martial arts are fine, and can be useful, but I really think that some people really really buy too much into the hollywood hype.
[ Hijack ]
IMHO it is just Tae kwon do, A.K.A "take my dough", that is all hype. Sure they have lots of pretty and powerful kicks, but in the 10 mins it takes to land that jumping-spin-reverse-back-crescent-kick their adversary has plenty of time to whup on them. The lack of punching and hand tecniques in general make it a significanly less than usefull fighting method.
[ /Hijack ]
Old 02-12-2003, 09:14 AM   #126
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Yes guns are intended to kill. So what? Some people need killing.

I happen to believe that life is sacred
To me, those two statements are glaringly incongruous. Not gonna burn my fingers on this debate, just wanted to ask how you reconcile the two. The way you put it now, it's just like "All animals are equal but some are more equal than others." Either life is sacred or it isn't.

Also Larry, I'm sorry but you are insinuating that people who do not own guns are somehow less prepared to defend their loved ones, or would care less if their loved ones are hurt. I quote: "Now...notice that all the protestors dare not answer about what they would do if they were the ones being victimized? Would they wave by to their little girl, and say..."oh well, I guess we can have another daughter later..." "
I'm afraid I find this insulting. Don't assume that simply because guns aren't fine and dandy everywhere on the world, it means people don't care if a child is kidnapped. YOU yourself said that you don't carry your gun out in the street. Many gun owners say they lock up their arms for safety reasons. So it's conceivable that you can get attacked outside without having your gun with you. Would that mean you wouldn't defend your family? Would it mean you would wave bye bye to Marybeth? I thought not.
Also, in most countries where guns are outlawed, there simply is a FAR smaller chance that you'll ever be confronted by one. Burglars and muggers here do NOT carry guns around 99 % of the time. So when debating with someone in a different situation, don't apply your own situation to them. You may shoot anyone who trespasses on your house because otherwise they'd kill you, but it's not the same thing, for instance, where I live.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:21 AM   #127
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

What is this, like the 100th gun debate? I'm closing this, because we've been there, done that. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album