Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 01-09-2002, 08:53 AM   #1
Vampire

No way. As an archer myself I was discussing it with friends.

Although next time I goto archery I'll stab my target 1st
Old 01-09-2002, 09:27 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hehe, you haven´t got that hundreds of years practicing yet!
Come back and post in say.. 250 years hehe! Buy alot of E210...

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 11:54 AM   #3
Aurican
Elminster

You do realize that Legolas is a magical elf that is almost 3000 years old right? That is quite a bit of practice time. They are not human, in a way they are terrestrial aliens. Its said in the books and in the movie that they give off their own faint glow when in star and moon light.
Who is to say that they can or can't do anything. I personally can create a ring that can dominate the most powerful of beings and control the entire world AND turn invisible all the while. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:21 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Well, I must admit they used some tricks to get Orlando to shoot at that rate. He had never fired a bow before, and you may notice he's doing it wrong at a certain point in the film. But that's because he's human, and because I showed Peter how fast elves can shoot. He wanted to bring that into the movie.

At the time of the adventure, I was still some centuries under 3000, but I've had training in my youth in Northern Mirkwood. So to answer your implicit question, yes, it IS possible for an elf to shoot at that rate, or actually even over it. I won't tell you the details, because you never know when man may start another war with us. But rest assured, even in this world it is easily done. Unless you're human.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:29 PM   #5
MagiK

Being only a mediocre archer myself, (im much better with firearms [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I do know that there are records of men having 2 or even 3 arrows in flight at a time...So a being who has lived many many centuries (elves in middle earth are immortal unless killed and should not be confused with AD&D elves) and who has a magic bow should be capable of some impressive feats of archery. If anything I think they underplayed just how good he was supposed to be with his bow. I was impressed with the quick stab to the eyes of an Orc that got too close [img]smile.gif[/img] I loved the movie [img]smile.gif[/img]

How come no one asks where Gimli got a new axe once he destroyed his axe trying to break the ring..yet a few seconds later he has his axe in hand.....
Old 01-09-2002, 12:40 PM   #6
norompanlasolas

yep, i noticed that too in the movie. but in the second watch i looked closer and if you do you will notice that he grabs the axe of the dward standing to his right, NOT his axe (the one he broke while trying to smash the ring). so they didnt mess up after all. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 01:38 PM   #7
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Don't forget that Leggy( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) is using a LONGBOW in that movie, any archers from IW will probably be using either Recurve or Compound bows, he shoots mainly by instinct, requiring little time to aim while you use your sights to aim and have various other little technical items that you use to shoot better.

To go into Fantasy terms:

He's an elf, it's magic [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:06 PM   #8
MagiK

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Neb:
Don't forget that Leggy( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) is using a LONGBOW in that movie, any archers from IW will probably be using either Recurve or Compound bows, he shoots mainly by instinct, requiring little time to aim while you use your sights to aim and have various other little technical items that you use to shoot better.

To go into Fantasy terms:

He's an elf, it's magic [img]tongue.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

Good Point Neb, forgot that lil detail, I have only once had the chance to use a long bow, and the technique is way different than my Double Recurve...and we wont discuss how different my crossbow is from what people in the middle ages were working with [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 08:34 AM   #9
Vampire

Also he can sleep and walk at the same time, he's immortal and what else? he can walk on snow without leaving prints and he looks brilliant so that all the girls love him.
So maybe shooting that quickly is just not very amazing.
In fact I reckon he can shoot with two bows, but who needs to when you can release multiple arrows at targets anyway?
Old 01-10-2002, 10:16 AM   #10
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

But don't forget guys that it is supposed to be the perfect elf in the movie!