Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default HUGE problem with ToB, and uninstallation/installation

Alright. I'll get to the problem, but first, some exposition. I've had this computer for a good long while now- vista included, bought new, etc, and have installed and uninstalled the baldurs gate series more times than I can count. Now is one of those times. I just installed BG I and TotSC, and went to install SoA, but when I put the disk in, instead of "install" being the option, it said "play". But when I try to play it, that is, I click play, nothing happens.

Lo and behold, Baldurs Gate II and ToB were on my computer- but none of the necessary files were.

I wanted to Tutu my way through, but the file needed for tutu can't be found. And I can't find any way to get rid of BG II so I can reinstall it. I've tried add/remove programs and only get "An Installation support file could not be installed. The System cannot find the file specified."

Is there any way Ican get rid of ToB and SoA on my computer? I would love to play the games once again, but can't for the love of it figure out a way to.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: HUGE problem with ToB, and uninstallation/installation

This sounds like an orphaned Registry entry. Was the last uninstall of SoA/ToB a Control Panel remove program? Or did you just delete SoA folder? ANYWAY,,,,, what has happened (I think), is the last uninstall of SoA didn't properly remove the Registry entry. That means the PC still thinks SoA is installed. What you need to do is run a Registry cleaner program that will look for orphaned Registry entries. That's all the advice I will give you; see Disclaimer.

Disclaimer: Editing the Registry is dangerous to your PC and may cause it cease functioning, up to and including not booting at all. Good Luck.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I had this problem once. I "fixed" it by attempting to uninstall, and then attempting to reinstall, over & over & over. On about the 10th try, it finally worked, and I could reinstall as normal. Don't ask me how/why it worked, I put it down to luck more than anything else.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Kezardin
Elminster

Howdy Kyrvias,

If you decide to bite the bullet.......

How to back up the registry :

http://www.adamsdvds.co.uk/tutorials...dit/backup.php

How to manually unistall BG2/TOB :

http://www.bioware.com/games/throne_...?faqID=40#1.11

You could also try a registry cleaner such as Eusing :

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...r_Features.htm

(I'm not recommending that particular programme - I use Easy Cleaner which doesn't work on Vista)
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Well, this certainly puts a damper on things. For now I've decided to mess with Vista and see if I can get NWN working. Thanks all for the help, you basically nailed it on the head.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote