Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ok here’s the scenario, basically my PS2 is somewhat screwed. It has been on for around 7-8 hours today, Need for Speed has been playing the whole time, although I was only playing for around 5 hours, the rest of the time it was just sitting there at the screen before races.

Everything was going fine and I was about 100 races through (didn’t start today) and then the PS2 started to make strange noises, and I was in the middle of a race, the track just disappeared and I was floating whilst going round corners etc. I quickly turned the PS2 off, it wasn’t hot or anything and so I just presumed it was the CD, and put it off for a few minutes, I proceeded to put it back on again but it started to do the same thing again.

3 hours later I put it on again, and guess what, it’s still happening. I try putting in a different CD and the same thing happens. Also I just tried it and it happened as soon as the CD was put in, and the PS2 reset its self, and then went on. This is very frustrating as I don’t know what to do to correct the problem and I cant play games if this continues to happen. The noise is a sort of clicking noise, which sounds a bit like a cd loading, but much louder.

Can some of you please help me on this, has this happened to anyone before, does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks in advance

Ross
Old 02-13-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

HAve you tried cleaning it? Sounds like there may be something in there.

I don't have one, so I'm not sure how to clean it, but I suspect a regular CD cleaner would do.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

havent tried as I dont have a cd cleaner at present (I know I know ) il get one soon though! Any other ideas?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Maybe trie to kick it and see if that helps lol

LOL kidding also check all your cables and thingys try to reconect them and turn of the power and sort of things! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-13-2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 02-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

lol, thinking along those lines at the moment!!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:12 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
7-8 hours straight? Good lord no wonder it's dying on you. Don't people read the manuals anymore? Contact Sony tech support, see if their little computer screens can help you. If it's still under waranty take to a sony certified repair place and see what they can do with it.

p.s. you could also take the date of the occurance into concideration. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 02-13-2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 02-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

try other PS2 disk. if it's still the same problem then you got a problem. I just hope it's not the infamous DRE problem.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #8
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
try other PS2 disk. if it's still the same problem then you got a problem. I just hope it's not the infamous DRE problem.
Yeah, or the notorious B.I.G. one [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I'd see what Sony can do with it, and what it's going to cost (if anything) to have it repaired. If it's going to cost too much, you might want to get a new one, since PS2's aren't that expensive anymore (and certainly not on Ebay ).
Old 02-14-2004, 07:44 AM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

yeh its all cds. And I tried again this morning, same problem. This sucks. OK il contact sony. Does anyone know the tech support email?
Old 02-14-2004, 07:47 AM   #10
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, it kinda sucks when a PS2 goes bust, as it was built not to be fiddled with. My friend's dad once opened it up to try and fix something and it didn't work at all afterwards...

As for their contact number, don't you have the PS2 manual around? Or a different Sony product manual?