Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-22-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Malthaussen
Manshoon

While I rather doubt professional golf is high on the list of interests of most users here, I thought I'd pass on the good news to one of my favorite forums. While I'd expected Annika to shoot better than the +1 she actually did produce, given the amount of hype that has surrounded her appearance on the PGA tour, her score is more than respectable. In fact, she played brilliantly (well, from tee to green, anyway), and has at least given herself a shot at making the cut in the event, which would make a lot of testosterone-O.D.'d men very, very unhappy.

This is a moderately history-making event in sports (insofar as we can claim any kind of "history-making" events for sports), so although it is rather OT for a CRPG forum, possibly a few among the 11,000-odd users will find it interesting. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-- Mal
Old 05-22-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

How is this history making? She's just following in the foot steps of Mildred (Babe) Didrikson Zaharias.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
Atrayu
The Magister

I find it very intresting and even with mud on the ball she only boogied the last hole on the front 9. Great game and something to be proud of for everyone who can't play very well to those that think they can With my handicapp I have beaten any of you before we even hit the course
Old 05-22-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
Malthaussen
Manshoon

Khazadman:

That's why I said "moderately."

-- Mal
Old 05-22-2003, 09:44 PM   #5
MagiK

I would be a whole lot more impressed if she were competing against the men on equal footing..special forward tee positions just means she can't compete by playing by the same rules. If you are in the Mens catagory...tee off from where all the men do.

Sorry but I am for equal rights...not "more than equal rights" or "special Exceptions"

That said, she'd beat the pants off me...my best score ever was an 88 [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-22-2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-22-2003, 09:51 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I would be a whole lot more impressed if she were competing against the men on equal footing..special forward tee positions just means she can't compete by playing by the same rules. If you are in the Mens catagory...tee off from where all the men do.

Sorry but I am for equal rights...not "more than equal rights" or "special Exceptions"

That said, she'd beat the pants off me...my best score ever was an 88 [img]smile.gif[/img]
You just HAD to screw up the party, didn't you ?
Old 05-22-2003, 10:56 PM   #7
Malthaussen
Manshoon

Ah, in fact, children. Annika played from the same tees and by exactly the same rules as the rest of the field. That, you see, is rather the point.

It might be useful if you checked your facts before making your comments...

-- Mal

[ 05-22-2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Malthaussen ]
Old 05-23-2003, 12:01 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

Annika is a brilliant golfer, and I've watched her in the LPGA for quite a while. I personally don't have a problem with a publicity match like this where she gets a crack a the PGA... it's good for both mens and womens golf.

I do however have a problem with women in general trying to play on the tour... simply because I think there's an assumed "M" in the name. The LPGA is a great forum for women to test the mettle in a level field... the best of the best. The PGA I always thought of as the forum for men to test their skills. While Annika IS competing in EVERY way 1:1 against the guys (and I believe she WILL make the cut), the REAL risk of opening the PGA to women is that it will leave the LPGA open to assault by guys who are darn good golfers, but can't make the tour. I DON'T want to see the LPGA turned into a farm league for the tour... I really think we should keep them seperate for now. Annika isn't the only female golfer out there, and while she might be able to make a living on the tour as a mid-level player... most women would not.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:45 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

On no - a classic case of shooting from the hip - he lines up the shot and

AIRBALL [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

Sorry to tell you Ray, she is competing on an equal footing, she has no special forward tee positions, and she is playing by the same set of rules. She is in the men's category, and she is teeing off from where all the men do.

Is is historic - sure is in this day and age - the age of the athlete golfer where men (and women) hit the gym heavily to get extra length through physical conditioning.

It was great seeing Annika hit in a 6 iron to a par 3 and watch the next 10 guys hit 6 iron. I only watched the first 14 holes - it was getting too late for me (1:30 am), but in terms of how close to the pin your approach shot was, she would have easily been in the top 10 % of what I saw. Her putting really let her down - it is these shorter shots where the nerves and the tension of the occasion were most likely to get to her. But for some more confidence in the putting stroke, she would have been up in the top 20 easily.

Go Annika [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2003, 08:25 AM   #10
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Malthaussen:
Ah, in fact, children. Annika played from the same tees and by exactly the same rules as the rest of the field. That, you see, is rather the point.

It might be useful if you checked your facts before making your comments...

-- Mal
If that is true, I retract my statement, HOWEVER, ABC news on the radio yesterday said she was starting from a forward Tee. Several yards closer to the hole.