Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-25-2004, 01:28 PM   #41
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Oh I know. I remember seeing on TV years ago (20/20 or Dateline or some such nightly news program) these cats bred to have very tiny front legs, and they could not walk on them either, cannot remember why, they just kinda hung there and the cat had to use its back legs only to get around. Was hideous and horrible to behold, and sickening that the family was breeding them purposely to keep the deformity so they could sell them. I hope that they failed in their mission and nobody bought those poor cats.

Anyways, not sure if this Muchkin breed is a similar deal, i.e., the deformity purposely bred in. This site I found says not:

http://www.munchkin.net/faq.html

I have no idea if this website is legit or not, but all I know is I have NEVER ever seen a cat look like that in my life, and I grew up with a mother who had at least a good 30 count at all times, so...

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-25-2004, 02:03 PM   #42
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Oh I know. I remember seeing on TV years ago (20/20 or Dateline or some such nightly news program) these cats bred to have very tiny front legs, and they could not walk on them either, cannot remember why, they just kinda hung there and the cat had to use its back legs only to get around. Was hideous and horrible to behold, and sickening that the family was breeding them purposely to keep the deformity so they could sell them. I hope that they failed in their mission and nobody bought those poor cats.

Anyways, not sure if this Muchkin breed is a similar deal, i.e., the deformity purposely bred in. This site I found says not:

http://www.munchkin.net/faq.html

I have no idea if this website is legit or not, but all I know is I have NEVER ever seen a cat look like that in my life, and I grew up with a mother who had at least a good 30 count at all times, so...
Good link, Lady Z. I hadn't read much at all about the Munchkin breed, just was kind of aware that they existed. With any luck for the cats involved, it's a benign mutation with no nasty alleles attached. I'm really of two minds on this issue, having known breeders of good conscience, but I also have seen the results of poor breeding practices by people who are in it only for the money. Personally, I could never be a breeder, there's too many little ones in need of homes to go about making more of them.
Must have been cool growing up with so many cats, I have nine now, but never more than one at a time as a child.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:54 PM   #43
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by sageridder:
Fake.Awefully cute but fake.I hope this has an answer and is not just our opinions because if I'm wrong I'd love to see what a full grown of this breed looks like.Given it's head and paw size relitive to it's body, full grown this thing would be huge,and with color so much liken to a sled dog I'd love to see other pictures of the breed.
Some cats do actually have big feet in proportion to their bodies. My cat, a russian blue, has relatively large feet, and when she was a kitten, they were even more ridiculously large. She looks a bit like a rabbit from the back . We suggested that it might be because she was originally a cold weather breed (e.g. with her double coat like a husky) and so needed bigger feet to walk in snow.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:49 PM   #44
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

In my neighbourhood there's a wild nature mix between a cat and a kind of a wolverine which is cute and cool, with slightly stunted front legs and a cute big head. It's very beautiful when young.