Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 PM   #21
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

well when your in Scotland you should come up to Aberdeen, its a great place
Old 03-31-2004, 01:06 PM   #22
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Yeah, Rome is great. It's also the easist city to sneak onto the Metro line.
Not true - it's easier in Amsterdam, where on almost all stops there AREN'T even any attendants at all! LOL. Once in a blue moon there'll be patrols on the metro itself, but as long as you avoid those, dodging fare is almost too easy to pass up. (I usually don't though, because when you do get caught the fine's pretty steep)

[/QUOTE]LOL sounds like Budapest. They have ticket checkers only at peak times on the main stops. When I'm there for a month I never get my ticket checked more than 3 times in that month, sometimes not at all. But normally I'm ok as I just get an all-encompassing travel pass.

Aelia, I'm disappointed that you're not even giving Eastern Europe a look-in [img]tongue.gif[/img] . You're missing out on Prague, Budapest, Vienna etc. oh well I suppose you can't fit everything in.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 03-31-2004, 04:00 PM   #23
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
When walking in London - stop suddenly and stare up at teh nearest building. The locals just love it - dodging slow moving tourists is their favourite pastime.
LOL - you don't have to wait until London to experience that - try going to your nearest shopping centre and getting on the escalator and then try to get off when the people in front of you decide the top would be a perfect place to stop and talk . And I know I haven't replied to your mail yet, Davros, but I really appreciated all your suggestions! They've gone onto the list [img]graemlins/bighug.gif[/img]

I think I mentioned on another thread that we're going to go to Lords and see the Ashes, Donut - you must be so proud to be able to show them off [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm disappointed too, Vaskez! There's so many places I'd love to go see but not this time I'm afraid. We even have to totally bypass Greece which makes the ancient historian in me weep!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! What a great idea, Philip, going up the Eiffel tower at night - we'll definitely do that! LOL we're not doing hostels - we're both a bit precious for that . We found the tripadvisor site - what a great resource! We found the people who wrote 500 word reviews a bit much though

We're actually staying at the university, Mel - the conference is being held there. I think there's also a day excursion for all the conferencees which I'll tag along on as well - I think we'll be doing castles and such then, should be very good. Advice on restaurants and so on would be really appreciated if it's not too much trouble! Yes we're going to stick to trains and buses - we're travelling between all the cities by train and then obviously the metro and underground and so on. I am so impressed by London and Paris's subway systems. LOL all the hotels are like ' 2 minutes from subway station' - not much of a call when pretty much everywhere is!

And thanks Link for your Rome ideas! We're definitely going to the Vatican, Hiero, so we can see our favourite artwork - Raphael's School of Athens. LOL it was funny, my brother said 'we have to go see my favourite painting', and I said, 'oh yes, I'll have to figure out where my favourite is so we can see it too', and he goes 'as if you know anything about art', and it turned out we both loved the same one

I'm getting more excited all the time! We're going to see our travel agent this morning to sort out hotels and train tickets and so on, we have our plane tickets already. More ideas would be appreciated as well!
Old 03-31-2004, 04:16 PM   #24
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, i hope for your sake the Eiffeltower isn't shut for whatever reason. I've been to Paris a couple of times myself, and every time the damn thing was shut. They must have been on the lookout or something..... THERE HE COMES.... CLOSE IT DOWN, QUICK !

And should you be wandering through the gardens of the Palace of Versailles, mind your steps. I've been there myself once, when i got ambushed by a call of nature. Of course there wasn't a restroom anywhere near. You fill in the rest.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:27 PM   #25
dplax
Jack Burton

I've already been to Paris several times and it is a beatiful city. Just so that you know the Louvre is huge and you need several days to look at everything in there, so if there is a highlights tour it might be worth it if you don't have too much time to spend in Paris.

[ 03-31-2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]

Old 03-31-2004, 07:44 PM   #26
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I don't have much to add to what's already been said in terms of advice and what to see and do, but I hope you have a wonderful trip, love. I'm really happy that you're getting the chance to see all these countries, since I know you've always wanted to [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2004, 03:07 AM   #27
Melusine
Dracolisk

Oh, I forgot my tip about Paris - if you get the chance, go to the cemetary Père Lachaise. It's a beautiful place to take a stroll, and the monuments on the graves are very beautiful too. Oscar Wilde, Frédéric Chopin, Jean de la Fontaine, Molière, Jim Morrison, Gioacchino Rossini and Edith Piaf are just a few of the celebrities buried there.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:45 AM   #28
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Oh, I forgot my tip about Paris - if you get the chance, go to the cemetary Père Lachaise. It's a beautiful place to take a stroll, and the monuments on the graves are very beautiful too. Oscar Wilde, Frédéric Chopin, Jean de la Fontaine, Molière, Jim Morrison, Gioacchino Rossini and Edith Piaf are just a few of the celebrities buried there.
This is one of the places I missed, even though Melusine told me about it. I wish I had remembered to go.

Mark
Old 04-01-2004, 05:24 AM   #29
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

For a seccond I thought you by "Help me enjoy Europe!" meant the band... would be an impossible task, that.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:01 PM   #30
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
well when your in Scotland you should come up to Aberdeen, its a great place
I'll second that [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)