Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2001, 08:42 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

I'm weighing a dualed ranger cleric vs. multi ranger/cleric. Here's what I got:

Dualed- faster level advancement, still get the druid spells, can pick a kit for the ranger (would a stalker/cleric be nice? I'm not sure).

Multi- you can be something other than human advance to higher levels in both classes.

Anyone want to help me with this topic? Also, if you dual, when's a good level for the switch, I think at least 8 for the druid spells, but not too late because I'm working with the BG2 xp cap...
Old 10-01-2001, 02:17 AM   #2
Rikard

Kit's aint useful for a Ranger

[Stalker/Cleric] No Backstab weapons, max is Studded leather armor
[Archer/Cleric] You can;t use bows
[BeastMaster/Cleric] This one is interesting, though you main weapon will have to be Quarterstaff (Staff of Rhynn+4) and you'll have to wear studded leather (shadowdragon armor), you'll get Summening Spells, a Familiar

About the Multi or Dual

What do you want him to be? A Fighter or a Spellcaster?

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 10-01-2001, 06:02 AM   #3
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
Kit's aint useful for a Ranger

[Stalker/Cleric] No Backstab weapons, max is Studded leather armor
[Archer/Cleric] You can;t use bows
[BeastMaster/Cleric] This one is interesting, though you main weapon will have to be Quarterstaff (Staff of Rhynn+4) and you'll have to wear studded leather (shadowdragon armor), you'll get Summening Spells, a Familiar

About the Multi or Dual

What do you want him to be? A Fighter or a Spellcaster?

An archer/cleric cannot wield a bow?????????????????????????????????????????? That's insane, what is he gonna do then, throw darts???

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
I'd be Mirac, mighty mage of er... uhm.. er.. - Mirac Honorguard
Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
Old 10-01-2001, 10:38 AM   #4
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirac Honorguard:

An archer/cleric cannot wield a bow?????????????????????????????????????????? That's insane, what is he gonna do then, throw darts???

Sorry It IS a Cleric and a Cleric's Restritions are always active
That means no egdy stuff
I guess you'll have to be trhwong darts or using slings
but i don;t think your archer bonus is effictive on them
That's why the Archer kit is useless for a cleric dual

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 10-01-2001, 12:13 PM   #5
Bhaalthazar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A Beast Master dual'd to Cleric is INSANE! You get: a Familiar; specialization in Clubs, Quarterstaves and Slings; you get the bonus '++' in Two-Weapon Style; and if you Dual after 12th level, you are The Ultimate Summoner.

A Beast Master casts Summon Animal II as a 2nd level spell and Summon Animal III as a 3rd level spell... with the number of spells per 2nd & 3rd level that a decent Cleric gets, you will have enough shock troops to handle pretty much anything.

---Bhaalthazar
Old 10-01-2001, 12:49 PM   #6
StarVid
Elminster

Beastmaster/Cleric is a pretty nice kit for a spellcaster based character. But it wouldn't work if you want to tank him too. Then again, that's how it is with all the kits. I don't think any of them let you use metal armor (maybe beastmaster does, but can you imagine a beastmaster in full plate?), and are there any natural armors in the game specifically for ranger kits? I doubt it. The Beastmaster/Cleric would be interesting to try. I was thinking Stalker for the minor mage spells, backstab, but the beast master cleric sounds nicer with the extra summons. How does that work? Once a day per X levels or something?
Old 10-01-2001, 06:11 PM   #7
deathknight
Drow Warrior

First off I ALWAYS consider dual to be better than multi. Multi levels too slowly. Get your fighter hps and thac0 then take advantage of the cleric spells I say.

Now as for level don't worry about the druid spells. The great thing of a ranger/cleric is you can cast ALL of the druid spells(all the way up to level 7 druid spells) no matter what level you dual at.

I wouldn't go too early (like level 9 or so) to make sure you fighter stats are good. Go later if you can.

Oh and I say a straight ranger is better than the kits. You want to be able to use the armor etc and no use in being a bow users either.

PS: I think ranger dualed to cleric is one of the most fun classes you can take. The great range of spell choices is outstanding.

[This message has been edited by deathknight (edited 10-01-2001).]