Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2001, 05:02 PM   #1
Imperiem
Welcomed New User

Hey i was just wondering what u people would class as a well formed group. Because the npcs in the game are very limiting, i had an avenger a cleric,ranger,mage/thief and a druid. would it be better to have all mages?, cause then i could just death spell everyone hehe
Old 10-01-2001, 05:35 PM   #2
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Not really. You can't cast your spells when you mages are geting hit constantly and are dying very fast. Besides, unless u cheat u won't get death spell until later on in the game.

Warby
Old 10-01-2001, 06:05 PM   #3
deathknight
Drow Warrior

While I am not going to go so far as to call this group the best (I wanted it to be VERY powerful but I threw in some stuff I just wanted to play also) this group is TONS better than an NPC group.

The current party I am using (all 6 my own creations) is working very well for me. A bit more powerful than the conventional 1 class characters:
very small SPOILER inside of this description regarding a thief ability in TOB

-Monk
-Sorcerer
-Half-Orc Berserker
-Ranger dual classed to cleric at start of game (can cast cleric AND druid spells
-Berserker dualed to thief at level 9 (I am second guessing this thinking I should have gone with kensai because of a TOB thief ability that can negate the armor penalties of a kensai)
-And finally a kensai dualed to a mage at level 12

The party is slow to get going since you have 1 cleric and he starts out at level 1. also you have only the sorcerer as a mage until your kensi duals.
BUT this party is insane because everyone except the sorcerer can walk right into melee and just TEAR it up. once the kensai/mage gets his kensai abilities back at level 13 the real insanity starts. He will have much better ac than a normal kensai due to his robes and spells. your monk will be very powerful by then as well.

Really the more dual class chars you have the better in my opinion so this group could be stronger with more dual class.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:39 AM   #4
StarVid
Elminster

Here's what I would consider a really good "made" group.

I would start with this.

Fighter1 (Orc, and go for really high Con over Dex, Long sword, Axe, Sword and shield style)
Fighter2 (Elf, Long or composite bow, but I think there are better long bows in the game, two handed sword, all points into these two, maybe some in two handed weapon style)
Ranger (blunt weapons-I think you get dual wield for free so spec. in mace, flail, sling, and I think you have a free point for anything)
Stalker (an elf, why not? with Bows, long sword, katanas)
Cleric (Mace, Flail, Morningstar, anything a cleric can use but a mage can't)
Thief (maybe swashbuckler) (short bow, and either long sword or

Ok, The Thief, Ranger, and Cleric are all humans. Why? To dual class.

Put all your thief (max int) points into locks and traps, and when you have like 95 in each, then is a good time to dual to a mage.

The Cleric (max int), you could dual to a mage at level 9, but I would wait until level 11, because then you get a 6th level priest spell.

Then that ranger (make sure to max Wis) you gave all the blunt weapons to, dual into a cleric (who can cast all the druid spells, btw). The only problem is when to dual. If you do it at level 8, how you start. Then you lose out on the level 9 proficiecy slot, and I think an extra attack a round), but if you do it at level 9, then can't max out as a cleric, in fact, you lose two levels before the cap, as opposed to the one from when you start (rangers take a lot of XP). The other option is to start a fighter, and dual to a cleric at level 9, but you lose out on the druid spells.

Keep in mind, I've yet to complete chapter 3 before deciding I don't like my party (of NPCs, and the PC I chose) and then starting over. But with a part time cleric that can melee, and a full cleric, two mages, a good scout (the stalker), a good tank, a good archer(I'd perfer using the fighter over the Archer ranger, that way he can back up the tank in melee), a more than halfway decent thief, all rolled up into one party of six characters, you should be prepared for anything.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:35 PM   #5
Rikard

This is my party

Elven Sorcerer
once you know what spells are usefull, nothin beats a sorcerer and elfs get 19 in dex (good for AC)

Human Berserker dualled to Mage
Incredible overkill guy with Celestial Fury and Dak'kon Zerth sword, but you'll only get a good Armor in the end of the game (Elven Chain +4)

Elven Assassin
This is a personal favorite of mine as i love Backstabbing, especially with poisoned weapons, might be better to get a Kensai Thief for reasons explained in the previous post

Priest of Helm
Free True Sight Spell, and you'll need a Cleric, I my self dont care to much about the Ranger/Cleric coz i don;t see the rollplaying component in that

Ranger
Choose any kit if you like, this will mainly be an Archer and backup tank, I myself chose a Beastmaster coz of the Roll-Playing part

Paladin
All Kits are great this will be the main tank, give him as low a AC as possible and you'll get Carsomyr to complete your tank

This is my party
as balanced as possible: a Cleric, a Thief, 2 Mages, 2 Fighters

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 10-02-2001, 02:41 PM   #6
Montravant
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperiem:
Hey i was just wondering what u people would class as a well formed group. Because the npcs in the game are very limiting, i had an avenger a cleric,ranger,mage/thief and a druid. would it be better to have all mages?, cause then i could just death spell everyone hehe
Um if ur party all has mages who will ressurect them wen they die in a dungeon.

------------------
The Key To Imortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering

-Montravant
Old 10-02-2001, 04:40 PM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well, here is the group i currently have. im not saying its the most powerful, but its pretty balanced and ive been able to take down just about all fights with only a little trouble... the fight in the seven dales only gave me a little damage....

1)Fighter/Mage
2)Archer
3)Berserker
4)Avenger
5)Conjurer
6)Assassin

i know i lack a true cleric, but ive been working well enough so far. any thoughts?

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server of Cloudy's Cafe

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-03-2001, 11:21 AM   #8
Lin Sivvi the Paladin
Dungeon Master

A well balance group would be classified as a good group.
Here is my group:
Leading character: Paladin
And another paladin in the group (Keldorn)
Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshimo.
A group needs fighters and spellcasters, gotta balance it

"Behold, the law must prevail!"