Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 09:37 AM   #1
Volourn
Manshoon

IS they actually in toB? I heard it was.I hope so? The only down side is the fact that if something goes wrong u can just reload.For me, I won't unless my main character lands up dying. What areyour opinions on this? Over and out.

------------------
"That didn't hurt!" - Volourn Honourblade after the red dragon breathed on him for 75% of his hp.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:53 AM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Based on the power level of the PC (regardless of class) and the attendant NPCs (again, regardless of party composition), the Deck of Many Things would be an interesting trophy to place in a stronghold but not really useful. It has been a few years now, but from what I remember of the Deck's powers they weren't that amazing.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 06-13-2001, 10:16 AM   #3
Bristowe
Elminster

Volourn, what is the deck of many things? It's in pnp i assume? What does it do? i'm interested...

------------------

Bristowe, Master Assassin
"Everyone dies sooner or later, why not sooner?"
Old 06-13-2001, 10:57 AM   #4
koz-ivan
Manshoon

it's been a while, but the deck of many things is a tarot deck, the cards all appear in random order and will appear blank, unless one activates the deck and states how many cards they intend to pull. (the deck will disappear after the cards have been drawn.)

now 1/2 the cards are good, 1/2 bad. a lot of + - ability scores, some cards summon creatures you have to fight, some give treasure. it's a very cool incredibly powerful item, but it can be lethal.

spoiler warning-
i dont know if the deck will be in the game, but the machine of lum the mad will, and will work much the same as i described above.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:11 PM   #5
Volourn
Manshoon

Bristowe, Koz-Ivan describes it pretty well. It's simply a deck of cards that does random things, both good and back to whoever draws one. Another thing, Koz-Ivan describes it as it is shown in the DMG, but it can be changed by the DM as he or she sees fit. Also, since the wild mage is in the game, it is a known fact that this particular mage has greater control over the cards as to be able to have the ability to draws the cards he wants more often than not. That would be enteresting too.

------------------
"That didn't hurt!" - Volourn Honourblade after the red dragon breathed on him for 75% of his hp.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:32 PM   #6
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Sounds quite a bit like the wand of wonder.
Old 06-13-2001, 04:14 PM   #7
Glycerine
Manshoon

The official description:

"Deck of Many Things:
A deck of many things (beneficial and baneful) is usually found in a box or leather pouch. Each deck contains a number of cards, or plaques, made of ivory or vellum. Each is engraved with glyphs, characters, and magical sigils. As soon as one of these cards is drawn from the pack, its magic is bestowed upon the person who drew it, for better or worse.

The character with a deck of many things can announce that he is
drawing only one card, or he can draw two, three, four, or more. However,
the number must be announced prior to drawing the first card. If a jester is
drawn, the possessor of the deck may elect to draw two additional cards.

Each time a card is taken from the deck it is replaced (making it
possible to draw the same card twice) unless the draw is a jester or fool,
in which case the card is discarded from the pack. A deck of many things
contains either 13 cards (1-4 on a 1D6) or 22 cards (5+ on a 1D6).
Additional cards in a 22-card deck are indicated below by an asterisk (*)
before their names. To simulate the magical cards you may want to use the
normal playing card in the suits indicated in the second column. (The
notation is face value, then suit)."

Glycerine
Old 06-14-2001, 03:30 AM   #8
Volourn
Manshoon

The deck of many things would still be fun to be in the game! Example of one of the cards coming... if you defeat your next opponent * by yourself* you will gain a level. You wish for a kobold; but Firkragg's father shows up looking for revenge ( and his family's heirloom back -the holy avenger that is ). Is that level really THAT important to you! anyways, I'm just ramblin' on. Ignore ME if you wish... But don't turn your back on me. j/k

GO DWARVES GO!

------------------
Old 06-14-2001, 03:40 AM   #9
BladeMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Volourn:
The deck of many things would still be fun to be in the game! Example of one of the cards coming... if you defeat your next opponent * by yourself* you will gain a level. You wish for a kobold; but Firkragg's father shows up looking for revenge ( and his family's heirloom back -the holy avenger that is ). Is that level really THAT important to you! anyways, I'm just ramblin' on. Ignore ME if you wish... But don't turn your back on me. j/k

GO DWARVES GO!

I like your saying GO DWARVES GO. I love playing Dwarf Characters

------------------
By Clanggedin. What does a Dwarf have to do to get a drink around here.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/evermeet

Old 06-14-2001, 04:03 AM   #10
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

(leafs through 2nd ed dmg...)

announce your intention to draw 1 to 4 cards

other possibilities:

misc magic item and 50k xp
1d4 wishes
+2 to prime req
18 cha and a small keep
treasure map and a magic weapon
the service of a 4th lvl fighter
imprisonment
enmity between you and an outer planar creature (ahem)
defeat Death or be forever destroyed
lose all magic items
lose all wealth and property
-3 to petri saves
alignment change
10k xp or 2 more draws
lose 10k xp and draw again
lose 1d4 int and draw again