Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-03-2000, 01:43 AM   #1
draconia

Hi!! I beat Ployer and as you have read, I am having trouble beating vampires. I am going to keep trying to beat these guys but I am going to get everyone better equiped first. Do have any suggestions on what weapons to get and where to get them. So far, I can use all the help that I can get. How is your game coming along? I hope that it is going better than mine. Thanks for any suggestions that you might have.

Old 12-03-2000, 02:00 AM   #2
Armisael

Eh, right. Hope I'll do. Use anything +2 or better. Cast negative plane protection (and possibly chaotic commands) on your best fighter to make him/her immune to level drain and domination, send them in with a half-decent weapon, and they should be able to take any amount of vampires out, no problem. Vampires don't do much damage, they just sap your HP very quickly with their level drains.

Old 12-03-2000, 03:24 AM   #3
draconia

Yes Armisael, you will do. Thank you for your help. Some of my characters have +2 weapons. My best fighter is Minsc. My character is a level 14 theif and he does ok. What about missle weapons? Jaheira and Aerie have Slings +2 and they both say that their weapons have no effect. My character has Arbane's sword +2 and Tuigan Bow +1. Jaheira also has the quarterstaff +2. I hope that I can find some other weapons that will do better than those do. Thanks again for your help Armisael. So far I have found that you and The.Relic have been the nicest to me and both of you are willing to help me. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2000, 03:42 AM   #4
Armisael

Shouldn't be much of a problem, then. The enchantments on missile weapons themselves don't count towards what enemies you can affect, unfortunately; only the ammunition does. So get some arrows +2 or bullets +2 and you'll be right. And, of course, you can buy some great equipment from either the Adventure Mart or the Copper Coronet (also, try the merchants of Trademeet after completing the Dao djinni quest; they sell some nice stuff, like the Blackblood +3 club). Good luck.

Old 12-19-2000, 02:39 PM   #5
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Mmm... Armisael, does magic (mainly fire and lightning) damage them ?? Ive fought a pair of vampires in the street but I used warriors. As my best character is my own level 12 sorceror with AC -5 and protection from negative plane (amulet of power), do you think I will be able to defeat them with chain lightnings and sunray ?? Maybe a pair of ranged weapons will help me...

THANX !!

Old 12-19-2000, 03:25 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Sun ray works very well against vampires, and also a rather high priest spell, false dawn, or maybe it's fairy dawn, works well.
Old 12-19-2000, 06:30 PM   #7
Suul-Yinn

Sunray is by far and away the best spell against vampires. It can cause over 1000 points of damage and affect over a wide area. Personally I think it is unbalanced. Also try Sols searing orb anhd Holy Smite.

Old 12-19-2000, 08:00 PM   #8
Armisael

Almost any spell affects vampires. You could kill them with magic missiles if you really wanted to. Sunray really does decimate them (and any other undead), though.

Old 12-19-2000, 11:49 PM   #9
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Clerics Can be potent SOLO -vs- Vampires and other difficult or easy undead. ( Remember Liches are undead too, only with high magic restistance)
Send in a cleric with a really low AC, who can cast sunray with the amulet of power equiped and chaotic commands cast on themselves. Let the vampire(s) surround you while casting sunray. It has a long casting time, so hold your breath while the Vampires attack. The results...
My priestess of Helm, Ana Fairo, did this with an AC of -11 and at 16th lvl. On the second lvl of the windspear hills dungeon she killed EIGHT vampires in ONE round! I did something like 8320 points of damage for Over 100,000 exp in one round with one spell! I also Immediatly began to turn undead after casting my first spell to repel any stragglers. This gave me time to cast another spell while my back up moved in.
An easier way is to send two clerics or send a tank first and have your cleric follow, moving in to cast sunray while the vampires attack the fighter. This takes more preparation as you hafta cast protection spells on two characters instead of one. Also sunray, false dawn, and other spells with a range of 0, work best if your their target, completly surrounded by Vampires, to get the most of them in the area of effect.

I love the Cleric VS Undead polarity!!! Its so much fun to wade in to room full of Undead and BLAST away. I love turning undead!!! If your a Neutral or good cleric, Turning undead Can push them into a corner or against a wall and even destroy weaker undead outright! The undead stay turned long enough to dole out some spell damage and destroy them. I suggest only a 14+ lvl cleric go solo against a group of Vampires or a Lich as they are more difficult to turn, especially the Lich.

" By this light, which is life, is the true absolution of death. "
-Chant to Turn undead by a cleric of the unknown god
Old 12-19-2000, 11:52 PM   #10
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Clerics Can be potent SOLO -vs- Vampires and other difficult or easy undead. ( Remember Liches are undead too, only with high magic restistance)
Send in a cleric with a really low AC, who can cast sunray with the amulet of power equiped and chaotic commands cast on themselves. Let the vampire(s) surround you while casting sunray. It has a long casting time, so hold your breath while the Vampires attack. The results...
My priestess of Helm, Ana Fairo, did this with an AC of -11 and at 16th lvl. On the second lvl of the windspear hills dungeon she killed EIGHT vampires in ONE round! I did something like 8320 points of damage for Over 100,000 exp in one round with one spell! I also Immediatly began to turn undead after casting my first spell to repel any stragglers. This gave me time to cast another spell while my back up moved in.
An easier way is to send two clerics or send a tank first and have your cleric follow, moving in to cast sunray while the vampires attack the fighter. This takes more preparation as you hafta cast protection spells on two characters instead of one. Also sunray, false dawn, and other spells with a range of 0, work best if your their target, completly surrounded by Vampires, to get the most of them in the area of effect.

I love the Cleric VS Undead polarity!!! Its so much fun to wade in to room full of Undead and BLAST away. I love turning undead!!! If your a Neutral or good cleric, Turning undead Can push them into a corner or against a wall and even destroy weaker undead outright! The undead stay turned long enough to dole out some spell damage and destroy them. I suggest only a 14+ lvl cleric go solo against a group of Vampires or a Lich as they are more difficult to turn, especially the Lich.

" By this light, which is life, is the true absolution of death. "
-Chant to Turn undead by a cleric of the unknown god