Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-21-2001, 11:59 PM   #1
crimsonson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First - what item(?) do you get beating it. I only got staff of a magi and a eye stalk. Did I destroy anyhting during my attack. I only used melee and fireball.

Second:
SPOILER:

]
]
]
]]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]

I did the Rune Encounter and I only reloaded once, since my first try was to scout and not to fight. I used Edwin's Mass Improved Invisiblity. This made the Lich's Time Stop useless since his he cant target. I attacked the Beholder first, vampire next and a fighter(?) next. At this moment my invisiblity ran out and I casted Restoration for anybody who got drained. Then Mass invisibilty again. I destroyed the Lich using Pierce and just plain melee. I casted fireball at the female mage at the top. She came down and I also casted Pierce magic on her. Melee- dead. Done. No question just like to share my success
Old 10-22-2001, 12:27 AM   #2
Thrawn
The Magister

oh brother ur asking for it just kidding.

Hey i'm just wondering what kind of party did you have, and what levels? also what diffucity, insane or *laughing on the floor* novience or any of the other diffucity level other than insane, lol sorry just have been playing insane for so long.

anyway here's my success story, this was like my 100th run though SoA well not 100 run though but some high number anyway i had an level 15/15 clerc/mage with some quite nice armor, i had the robe of vecona, that +4 to casting rock! then i had the baldurs helm, the flail of eastham +1 to Ac and +10 to all phyiscal attacks, then robe of the sewer for its +1 Ac, then ring of gaxx, and ring of protection +2 in addition i had the amulet of power with its +1 to spell casting time for total of 5 off the spell casting time, rocks! in addition i also had an shield in my off hand that gave me +4 ac and +7 to missile it rocked, clercs and mage are terriable dual wielder so i just gave her an shield and a flail.

Anyway outside the door i did some basic buffing spell like stoneskin *its on 100% of the time* protection from evil, and few other spells like improved invisiablity and that's it then i opened the door and poped in, i summoned some cannon folder and told them to stay back while i talked to the lich, i moved forward just barely for the lich to show up and talk to me then i retrat all the way to the stairs and send forth my cannon folders for the lich and others to wase their spells and stuff on. after an short but furious furry of spells both the lich and the mage casted timestop and the mage summoned an pitfiend and begun to fight eachothers, the mage mazed the pit fiend, now the lich was dumbfound and was just standing there, the beholder floated forward so i shot her down with an furry of fire bolt in an spell sequirer. the beholder died before she got any of her nasty anti-magic ray out. now the lich he was still standing there dumbfound so i removed his protection then begun to fry him with spells then i just rushed into the room there was an vamp but i had chaoic command, and amulet of power so the vamp was of no concern but i still ended her life anyway just to get her out of the way, the pit fiend respawned back in and begun to battle so i retrat untill the fiend died, then i ran forward and dispeled and did couple other spells to sherd up her shields then i begun shooting off mief's acid bolt after each others, about like what 6 of them before the mage finaly died and she couldn't get any spell off.

now i was done with the quest, and i only lost 10 hp total only used up 1/3 of my spell resvor and after that i headed off finish some other hard quest and head off to whoop good ol jon's rear and by the time i whooped jon's rear i had finaly deplated my spell resvior and that was my first rest in a long time, did twisted runes, did the unseeing eye, did the slave lords, and did the entire ayssium in one rest with a clerc/mage darn! lol

heh all i ever get on the quest is an staff of magi that thing rock and the eye stalk which i used up geting out.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:36 AM   #3
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

ALL I GOT WAS THE STAFF OF THE MAGI???!!! that staff alone is WELL worth the effort. did you not get a butt-load of experience too? and im sure there are decent weapons and armor there, if not better than what you had, definately stuff worth selling. just my two gold pieces though.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Old 10-22-2001, 09:28 AM   #4
crimsonson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a Ranger at level 15 (double wield axe) and the rest of my party

Minsc 15 Double wield long swords
Anomen 19 FoA/shield
Valygar 13 CF/Family Katana
Inomen 13 Staff of Rhyn
Edwin 15

I also just killed the Frikgar (spelling?). Easily again with Mass invisiblity and Pierce.

BTW- I had to use Warblade and other +4 weapons to beat the Demi Lich. That is why I had such a hard time, I could not do my Double wield as usual.
Only Demi Lich has given me trouble because of somekind of magic he does that kills my character immediately. I used protection from magic and that solved that obstacle.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:31 AM   #5
ReGiN

Quote:
Originally posted by crimsonson:
First - what item(?) do you get beating it. I only got staff of a magi and a eye stalk. Did I destroy anyhting during my attack. I only used melee and fireball.

Second:
SPOILER:

]
]
]
]]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]

I did the Rune Encounter and I only reloaded once, since my first try was to scout and not to fight. I used Edwin's Mass Improved Invisiblity. This made the Lich's Time Stop useless since his he cant target. I attacked the Beholder first, vampire next and a fighter(?) next. At this moment my invisiblity ran out and I casted Restoration for anybody who got drained. Then Mass invisibilty again. I destroyed the Lich using Pierce and just plain melee. I casted fireball at the female mage at the top. She came down and I also casted Pierce magic on her. Melee- dead. Done. No question just like to share my success
What is this "rune encounter"?
and where do you get it?

Old 10-22-2001, 10:38 AM   #6
crimsonson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Its a part of series of encounters (mini quest?) that supposedly was never finished or scrapped before release of SoA. Most people recognize it as one of the most difficult battles because of the enemies - Beholder, high level Mage, Lich, vampire and an assasin(?) in one room.

Its located in the South Western section of the Bridge District. You will need a Rogue Stone to enter. Good luck. Its a fun battle.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:05 AM   #7
ReGiN

Thanks Crimsonson!!