Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Nothing has said so much to me about the handling of the war. As long as Colin was around, I had some hope. This herald's a real defeat in the war between the Powell doctrine and the Wolfowicz doctrine of how to make war and peace.

Colin Powell resigns
Further Cabinet resignations expected
Monday, November 15, 2004 Posted: 10:46 AM EST (1546 GMT)

Secretary of State Colin Powell plans to stay on until his replacement is confirmed, officials say.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation to President Bush, the White House said on Monday.

Powell is the most prominent of four Cabinet officials whose resignations will be announced Monday, sources told CNN.

The others will be Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman, Education Secretary Rod Paige and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham, the sources said.

Powell told his senior staff that he planned to stay on until a replacement was confirmed, State Department officials said.

State Department officials told CNN that Bush and Powell decided mutually that it was time for him to go.

The officials said that Powell plans to keep working on a number of key issues, including North Korean nuclear talks, the Iraqi elections scheduled for January and Middle East peace process.

Powell was scheduled to travel to Egypt next week for a conference on Iraq.

A senior official said Monday that the State Department was trying to arrange a meeting between Powell and the new Palestinian leadership, but added the details have not been worked out. A date and place have not been set, the official said.

The official made the comment after Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath told reporters in Gaza City that Powell was expected to meet with the leadership next week in the West Bank.

Rumors have swirled about Powell's role in a second Bush administration, but neither the president nor the secretary had spoken publicly about his future.

Last week, when asked if he wanted Powell to stay on to oversee the Mideast peace process Bush told reporters: "I'm proud of my secretary of state. He's done a heck of a good job."

Powell told reporters that he had had several conversations with the president, but would not comment on what they said.

[ 11-16-2004, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
Old 11-15-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Jonas Strider
Manshoon

to think of his resignation, it makes me really wonder what and why? guess is he's unhappy of how things were handled or maybe how he was handled during his tenure. don't really know just a guess.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I think perhaps he'd rather move on to greater things... Rumors and whispers and speculation abound.

But I'm sad to see him go. I liked him more than anyone else on that administration.

I hope he becomes Secretary General of the UN and they make a movie about him. I'm still waiting to hear "James Earl Jones IS... Powell. Opening in theatres this winter." in the movie previews.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
I think perhaps he'd rather move on to greater things... Rumors and whispers and speculation abound.

But I'm sad to see him go. I liked him more than anyone else on that administration.

I hope he becomes Secretary General of the UN and they make a movie about him. I'm still waiting to hear "James Earl Jones IS... Powell. Opening in theatres this winter." in the movie previews.
Was he pushed or did he jump Timber?

Do you not see him has the next repug presidential candidate Illumina?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Dang...there goes the guy out of that administration that I sincerely respect...wow...that sucks.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

That goes for me too Ilander - the only guy too for that matter.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
Lucern
Quintesson

Wellard, I have no idea what the person I heard this from is basing it on - but I'll tell it anyway: Powell's wife isn't putting up with another term, and she wouldn't put up with a presidency.

Again, I have no idea what she was basing that on lol. I've never heard about his wife. She did predict that he'd resign if Bush won again 4 months ago, though. Hmmm maybe she's his mistress now that I think about it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #8
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
I'll tell it anyway: Powell's wife isn't putting up with another term, and she wouldn't put up with a presidency.
Silly gossip aside, this is probably the closest thing to the truth so far.

Keep in mind that any of those high level government jobs just suck. Those people don't sleep enough, are stressed out like the poster child for Ritalin, and work absolutely ridiculous hours, especially during something like a war.

I seriously doubt I could do it, and I'll guarantee I couldn't do it twice.

Civic duty only goes so far, especially in a reportedly already strained marriage ...
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 PM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
quote:

Was he pushed or did he jump Timber?

Do you not see him has the next repug presidential candidate Illumina?
[/QUOTE]No, I don't. Know why? Because of his skin color.

I honestly don't think America is willing to elect someone whose skin tone is darker than Khaki on the color wheel.

I actually do respect him somewhat, and despite being a registered Democrat, might consider voting for him. If it was him going up against Kerry, I might pick Powell... I'd look at his views.

But I don't think America as a whole is ready for a president that isn't a white Christian male. This is the same reason Hillary won't win.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:55 PM   #10
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
This is the same reason Hillary won't win.
She won't win because she's a rabid communist, not because she's female ...
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote