Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-19-2002, 12:38 PM   #21
Farscry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A key thing about all this Nibiru research that helps make it more believable to me is the fact that it is NOT a prediction of the end of the world, of all mankind, or any of that. It is simply (heh... okay, maybe "simply" is too understated!) a highly catastrophic natural event for which our society is currently unprepared.

I'm Christian, so some of my attitudes toward the event are colored that way. However, I've never been good at discounting science for the sake of my beliefs so I cannot discount everything I've read about Nibiru simply because it doesn't comply with some of the popular interpretations of Biblical prophesy.

Just some thoughts. One way or another, we'll all know for sure next year, eh?

Farscry
Old 04-19-2002, 02:09 PM   #22
Encard
Quintesson

*sigh* Well, this isn't too great a thing to hear for someone who's considered paranoid... oh, well... nervous now... I wonder if I can turn into a large, demonic alien creature by then and rulwe the ruins of society? With luck they've managed to mess this up somewhere, like they did with Y2K... I'm not really the type of person who would be useful in catastrophic events (in other words, weak, don't know enough about anything practical). *looks very nervous*
Old 04-19-2002, 03:04 PM   #23
Azred
Drow Priestess

Well, since the Y2K and the Millenium turned out to be duds vis-a-vis the End of the World (eschatology is so much fun, isn't it?) this is just the latest in a long string of "imminent cataclysmic disasters" designed to play on people's uncertainly about the future.

I haven't read fully the links provided by Ziroc, but I am going to over lunch and then respond again. This looks like it'll be a side-splitter.

By the way, Farscry, I am not flaming you. It's just that I find any "end of the world" scenario to be too ludicrous to take seriously. If someone proved to me beyond the shadow of any doubt that the world will end tomorrow (or on any date) then why worry? It won't matter anyway!

Anyway, I'll check back in later. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:43 PM   #24
Epona
Zartan

Well I don't hold with all the prophesies of doom and what have you!

But I do remember hearing many years ago now that a tenth 'planet' had been detected orbiting the sun beyond Pluto. Then I didn't hear too much about it for a while. I say 'planet' because there was very little information about it at the time, just, I think, that it was responsible for some small fluctuations in the orbit of the known planets - that doesn't however mean it is a planet, it could be a large asteroid, black hole, anything. It would be interesting to see whether research has managed to determine whether it exists (or may just have been static on whatever instrument was used to take the readings, LOL) - and if so, its mass, density and luminosity.

About the comments concerning Pluto's status - moon or planet - it is not a moon NOW, because it is not orbiting another planet, it is orbiting the sun. However I believe there was some talk of reclassifying it as an asteroid or somesuch because it is technically too small to be classified as a planet in its own right.

Ahh, I should start reading more again about astronomy - fascinating subject.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #25
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ok. Now that I have read the link provided by Ziroc, I can definitely state that this is just another in a long line of "end of the world" mumbo-jumbo.

I know that die-hard "I want to believe" fanatics have some sort of answer to these questions, but I will ask them anyway:

How can Nibiru be the 12th planet when they [ancient Sumerians] could not see Uranus, Neptune, or Pluto? At best they could have discovered 9 planets (counting the Sun and the Moon). If the alien visitors told them of the other planets, then why are they never depicted?

If the Earth were to suddenly lose all its rotational inertia and then regain it all 3 days later, in addition to a pole shift of 90 degrees, then the Earth would be reduced to a clump of proto-asteroids. Besides, the gravity from Nibiru wouldn't "sneak up" on Earth and be unleashed all of a sudden, because gravity has infinite reach--the forces would increase as the planet drew near. (Gravitic force follows the inverse square law; half the distance and quadruple the force).

Apparently the flow of time is different on that planet than everywhere else in the entire universe. Imagine that!

Finally, why come to Earth to, as one person suggests, dig for gold? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] If they can extend their life indefinitely, survive a ride on a planet through interstellar space, and are capable of interplanetary/interstellar travel, then why can't they make gold? We can transmutate gold in a laboratory setting now; imagine what they could do. Besides, because gold is heavy there should be more of it on Mercury and Venus (it would have been drawn toward the proto-Sun before the planets formed).

Anyway...it was a strange read. My final question is this: why do so many New Age-like people want to view themselves as helpless? "Oh! We are from Earth! We are helpless! The aliens are so powerful! We must fear/worship them because they are coming to destroy/save us!" [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

Whatever.

[ 04-19-2002, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

Old 04-19-2002, 05:41 PM   #26
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have to agree with Azred, and just like at how convinced thousnads were that the world would end in 2000!!
Frankly, I doubt it will happen, and if it does,I'll worry about it when it does, rather than live my life out in fear of something.
Need I bring up the case of the guy who thought the world would end in 1998??
Old 04-19-2002, 05:56 PM   #27
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Need I bring up the case of the guy who thought the world would end in 1998??
That was most likely because 1998 = 666 * 3.

Old 04-19-2002, 06:42 PM   #28
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

hmm well I think that it's going to be cool to see if it really exists, Why doesnt any body send out probes to find it though?
Old 04-19-2002, 06:46 PM   #29
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Possibly because they do not know how it's orbit around the sun is and therefore do not know it's current position. They're not about to waste tons of probes that'll hurtle off into empty space just to find one planet.....
Old 04-19-2002, 06:49 PM   #30
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
No offense, but what is a Nibiru? - and why would anybody flame you? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Because sometimes we can be a contentious lot But we are a sort of family...the squabbles I have here sometimes reminds me of my siblings [img]smile.gif[/img]