Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2001, 04:12 PM   #1
Suzaku
Drow Warrior

When yer a mage and use magic in Athkatla, them Cowled Wizards appear often. If you fight them each time and get XP, do they eventually go away? I'm really getting sick of them appearing after I've rested and cast contingency on myself in preparation for the next battle, only to be interrupted!
Old 12-12-2001, 04:16 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Spoiler .....

You can avoid the problem by buying a "license" to cast magic with the town limits. It only costs 5000 gp and is worth it. I can't remember the name of the building, but its in the government district on the upper right side of the map.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:16 PM   #3
Jim
Quintesson

Well that's what you get for illegal use of magic

Always buy the licence from the government council of 6 building if you're planning to use magic, unless that is your looking for trouble!

I've heard that eventually, some cowled boss attacks you in the city after you've slaughtered many of them, and that he has a staff of the magi. Anyone else seen this??
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:19 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer

Haven't heard of that at all and haven't seen any reference to it happening on the Black Isle / Bioware boards .....

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 12-12-2001, 04:19 PM   #5
Tom
Elminster

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Well that's what you get for illegal use of magic

Always buy the licence from the government council of 6 building if you're planning to use magic, unless that is your looking for trouble!

I've heard that eventually, some cowled boss attacks you in the city after you've slaughtered many of them, and that he has a staff of the magi. Anyone else seen this??

Staff of magi aint being found off them cowled wizards.

THe Staff of Magi is found...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

in the bridge district
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:26 PM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

Cheers boys,

I know where to get it using the proper method, but have heard rumours that one of the cowled wizards also posesses one, I suppose in a similar fashion to the order of the radiant heart guy that helps with Bohdi posessing a Harbringer sword. It is probably total BS however, but was wondering if anyone else had heard of this.

Jim.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:27 PM   #7
CmdChicken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you fight them enough times they'll come once more and say

"Ewww your in big trouble now! We gots our biggest and bestest and baddest magey people and their gonna learn you good!" (Sort of )

then....

Cast time stop
Cast Abi-Dahlzim's x3
Cast Comet x2

snigger [img]graemlins/evillaughter1.gif[/img]

Note... May need ToB to cast magi mayhem like meeeee [img]smile.gif[/img]
CmdChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:34 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

Jim,

I hadn't heard about the Harbringer sword ... (is my greed showing yet?) ...

you happen to remember the stats on it?

Old 12-12-2001, 04:40 PM   #9
ULockit I Stealit
The Magister

I have read about the biggest baddest magey eventually coming out and he does carry the Staff of the Magi.

Never got there myself because you have to get the Cowled ones like 10 times or so before he is summoned.
[img]graemlins/starwars.gif[/img]

But after that it is free reign, you will never get bothered again, you saved 5000 and you got craploads of XP.
[img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Old 12-12-2001, 04:47 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

"They shall never take my gold... they shall die instead, for I'll be damned before I allow myself to submit to their ridiculous regulations. I am Odin Magnus, and I am a Sorcerer, and I shall be their educator... ..."

I never pay for the license... I kick their a**es until they finally realise that it is futile to fight me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Cowled Wizard Boss Fight Spoiler( contains minor ToB spell spoilers too).

PS: They do not have the Staff of Magi. That is absolute rubbish, I have fought them many times already. They only drop gems, scrolls, potions, normal quarterstaffs and gold.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote