Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2002, 02:51 PM   #1
Micalon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm in the last area of the Vale of Shadows (two large statues outside), defeated Mythos and his minions, but I can't seem to find where to go to some of the (hidden?) areas (I can see some darkened areas). I put my find traps ability on the thief (which should provide 100% secret door detection), but I don't recognize or know how to find secret doors. What's the deal? Enjoying this game immensely but still walking about ignorant.. Micalon
Micalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:40 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If your in the part I'm thinking about, its not actually a secret door your looking for, its a hard to find passage on the right side of your screen. Try moving a character all along that area and evnetually you'll see where to go. If your not in the part I think your at sorry for the cruddy advice [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

A couple things that might help...
First...I have never detected a hidden door by turning on my ability to detect traps. My party just stood around in an area until one of my crew noticed one. I never really found out who or why or how. If you know a door is there, but will not open by any means, maybe a lever has to be pulled somewhere. Just an idea. I know that the area you are in had a lever or two to play with...
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

It's not a secret door, its just that the entrance is obscured by the awkward angle the door is drawn on the screen.

A thief detecting traps will automaticaly detect secret doors, iirc. But maybe the detect trap skill has a part to play before the secret door shows up on screen.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:35 PM   #5
Darrell Bowman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello,

The door is there its on ur right hand side. there is a small passage
on the left were lots of little doors open and on the oppossite side
is the same identical narrow passage. Its had to find the narrow opening but u just keep walking into it. The top of the map is were the big monsters were and like that the head and there are two arms
one is easy to see adn the other on the left is kinda black out with shadow u go down that hall and find more guys...lot harder guys.

hope that helps just search around and walk into walls till u find something. use the force.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:59 AM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

Thanks guys!

I am glad I'm not the only one who had a problem figuring this one out: was beginning to feel rather clueless. I have been posting to a new thread to get an answer to this and just now found this thread. Good. Now I'm off work and can go home and walk through that NE passageway entrance that I can't see, but know is there.

Regards,
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:16 PM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Larry_OHF,

From what I think I remember from the IWD game manual, setting "find traps" on your thief boosts their trap finding abilities up from whatever it is naturally to 100%. Even so, your thief must be stopped (not traveling) in order for the skill to work (I think).

Even with "find traps" not set, your thief will still look for traps (if he is standing still) at his normal ability rate. So a thief with 50% trap finding ability will have a one in two chance of finding a trap whan he stops.

From what I've experienced, it appears as though this is a real-time effect:

1.) You must let your thief stay in one spot for a few seconds at each spot you want him to search, even with "find traps" set.

2.) If you leave a thief in one spot where there is a trap, he will eventually find the trap, even with imperfect trap spotting skills (i.e., "find trap" not set).
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote