Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-07-2001, 10:21 AM   #11
Rip Slaughter
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by el_kalkylus:
What, does it affect your THACO too?? Is that when you use ranged weapons?

Anyway, a mage doesn't need good AC or THACO, since the dexterity bonus isn't that much, and your mage isn't supposed to be in front taking hits. Besides, the mage will get stoneskin, (unless you are specialized at a certain school), and have protection from normal missiles-spell.
Correct it will affect your THACO for ranged weapons.

I hear what people are saying about not an important attribute, but when your mage is low on spells I find it useful to have him at the back of the pack lobbing darts, great for disrupting other mages spell casting (better than doing nothing), and what with the amount of magic darts on offer throughout the game if your mage is equipped with Darts of wounding and suchlike and has one of his proficiency slots expended in this field, he can do quite a bit of damage.

However I do agree it is more important to boost the mages intelligence and constitution first and then his dexterity.

Old 03-07-2001, 11:42 AM   #12
Lord Shield

It's also good when you're thwocking someone with Melf's minute meteors (I love that spell) as they're ranged weapons. Or if using one of the boomerang daggers

Old 03-07-2001, 12:02 PM   #13
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, the boomerang dagger is a really good weapon that should be used by your mage. If you have THACO bonus to ranged weapons it is good to raise your dexterity.

9 in dexterity is the same as 15 in dexterity when it comes to THACO, if you have 16 you get +1 to THACO, and if you have 17 or 18 you get +2 to THACO with ranged weapons (+3 if you have 19, up to +5 if you have 25). The AC isn't that important for the mage as I said before. I don't think you should change the stats because of this.