Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

View this NASA time lapse flash movie (you pull the bar left to right) and see just HOW MUCH freaking ice shelf is gone from 1990-1999.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/...9/30.html#melt

It's freaking scary. Their WILL be a new Ocean soon.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 10-07-2003, 12:03 AM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Interesting. I don't see it as being particularly devastating though. Change is to be expected. That which is not growing is dying. That's the way of it.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 10-07-2003, 12:07 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Interesting. I don't see it as being particularly devastating though. Change is to be expected. That which is not growing is dying. That's the way of it.
That amount of change is NOT expected at all, they say that the ice that is gone inland more has been there for some 2000 years! We are killing this planet... Change IS happening, look at the freaky weather all over the globe this year.. I study this a lot, and this is very shocking.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 10-07-2003, 12:30 AM   #4
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

wont a ton of newly melted ice mean flooding?
florida might very well be under the sea ill have to move
Old 10-07-2003, 01:45 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i wonder what will happen to the philippines in the future. i mean its composed to islands.. will we be swallowed up like the pacific islands?

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-07-2003, 04:53 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

We are not killing this planet, the planet is fine and has been through a lot worse than us, how ever, it is getting rid of this annoying rash that humans are to it.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:08 AM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

I'm not so convinced that we are doing so extremely stupid things when it comes to global heating. Of course the pollution isn't good, but there is a normal (natural) global warming, you know.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

I'm sorry, but in these situations I plead ignorant! Why? Ignorance is bliss! Offcourse you could argue that it is not logical nor sensible to ignore possible threats to your very existence, but I like to believe that I can do nothing about it. So if tomorrow will be my last day, I'll live it out in happiness ....
Old 10-07-2003, 11:52 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Good link, Z! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Erm... I mean

Note: 90% of the world's population lives in coastal areas. The most sensitive areas, and ones that are the first to go underwater. The island nation of Tuvalu has dumped thousands of concrate barricades along its borders to keep out the sea. I've seen the footage and met their diplomats.

Anyway, the guy I worked with at FIELD in London is with Baker&Mackenzie (Of Counsel), a law firm with a truly global view. I ran into their Chicago attorney who works with the guy at a seminar last week. He was speaking about the Chicago Climate Exchange ("CCX"). Recognizing that sooner or later these greenhouse gas reductions will be a valuable commodity, B&M has worked with industry and the CCX to bring companies on board and investors/speculators to the table. Thing of the CCX as a stock/commodities market for GHGs. Two benefits derive from this: (1) a registry of what GHG's are out there gets developed, and (2) since the market only buys GHG reductions, companies must reduce.

So, there are people actually out there trying to address this in real and meaningful ways. Here's to hoping.

Of course, the Sierra Club refuses to talk Kyoto at all -- on the strict belief that it all comes down to vehicle emissions no matter what. (Kyoto does not address cars).

Bah... "Kyoto" -- I hate using bastardized terminology. Just so you know I'm using this term because the news does. Actually, it would accurately be: The 1994 United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and all subsequent agreements thereto, including but not limited to the 1997 Kyoto Protocol.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #10
GForce

I really don't know what to think except that I understand it and we as a world must make plans accordingly. My innate hunch is that in the future, there will be less land mass and more water covering this blue planet. I saw in some new age books that drew out a new map of the world once the new lands and water has settled in. Change is inevitable whether due to man or nature. It is best we take heed, watch the signs, and learn to flow & prepare with the changes.