Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-20-2002, 05:15 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I don't beleive that survey. Afterall...they did not interview every kid in the U.S., so the numbers are based on presumption. The kids surveyed were probably lower-class, struggling children and are uneducated on many things besides geography. I think surveys can go either way, depending on who is conducting them and what the conductor wants the survey to say.

[ 11-20-2002, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-20-2002, 05:21 PM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
Give me a break people do you honestly believe that someone couldnt' point out where the Pacific ocean is? We learn that in what the 3rd grade???
You'd be surprised to find out what people don't know, Red. Sad but true.

Not to say that I necessarily believe these results... statistics... well we all know what people say about them (3 kinds of lies and all that )

But I *have* seen television shows where Dutch people on holiday were asked to point out the location of their holiday country on a map... Many failed to even locate their OWN country on a world map. I've seen similar things for Americans.
Luckily, here on Ironworks there seems a much higher than normal interest in finding out about the world around us, and people are generally quite well versed in common knowledge. Maybe that's why we're spoiled - it doesn't mean that there aren't people like mentioned in the survey.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:23 PM   #13
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

That doesn't really surprise me. I resently read in the Press and Journal (a newspaper on sale in North East Scotland), that President Bush only has an IQ of 90. Whereas former President Clinton has an IQ of 180. Then again from what we have learned having a high IQ doesn't stop people from doing stupid things, like Clinton doing Monica Lewenski...
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:24 PM   #14
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Eisenschwarz:
I’d be careful of believing those sorts of polls, I reckon most of them are just to fill space.

But as for Uneducated Americans, What really annoy me is those people, who say George Bush Is Dumb and Stupid (and I know a lot of those), now I may not agree with his policies,
But IIRC he has a Master of Business Administration from Harvard Business School, and last I heard you didn’t get those by being stupid.
He have must have had some degree of intelligence to get that and where he is today, even if it was only doing what he was told.
His college mates reckon he slept through it. You don't have to be intelligent to have a rich, powerful and influential father who makes large *cough* donations... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2002, 05:26 PM   #15
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

I've never heard of an Australian not knowing where Australia is...
Old 11-20-2002, 05:26 PM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I don't beleive that survey. Afterall...they did not interview every
Errrrrm... yes, that's how surveys are conducted, isn't it? Of course you can't interview the entire population, but that doesn't mean there are NO valid conclusions to be drawn from such surveys. Of course the testers should take care that they pick representatives from ALL societal groups (unless the survey specifically researches a single group) and that they interview a large enough group of people. But if a survey is conducted in a scientifically sound way, you can definitely use it as a (tentative) guideline.
That said, of course it's good to be sceptical (as am I, see my post above) and question the specifics of the test like you do - like what kinds of people were interviewed, and how many of them. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2002, 05:33 PM   #17
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I do know people who have severe map problems, and cannot read them.. I also believe that there are some very stupid people in this world. Oh, and all you folks that still think that Bush is stupid ... well you just keep on thinking it, and he'll surprise you, painfully, just like he continues to surprise people like MacAuliffe and the Democrats.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:33 PM   #18
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
I've never heard of an Australian not knowing where the BEER is...

Old 11-20-2002, 05:40 PM   #19
Craig Alexander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
Australia is in Europe somewhere isn't it?
Old 11-20-2002, 05:54 PM   #20
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
I've never heard of an Australian not knowing where the BEER is...
LOL!
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] The beer is here! The beer is here! [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
Oops! Don't tell Lord of Alcohol, he'll never stop pestering me for some...