Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

North Korea Backs down in exchange for international aid.

I have to wonder (well, ok, I'm not wondering, I'm pretty sure) if it has anything to do with China's recent anti-satellite missile firing link

China has no real interest in destabilizing the world, and it also sent a pretty clear message to NK that their firing of a nuke wouldn't go very far before it would be shot down by their biggest neighbor and largest trading partner.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The way I heard Neal Boortz tell it, they bullied us until we gave them our lunch money.

I heard we bribed them to back down by offering them money and that is sad.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

That's what the US sees of course, but China represents 2/3rds - 4/5ths of their trade (and food imports) and has a much bigger say than we do (which has been the problem all along, the US and Japan yell and scream, but have very little financial impact on them (what good do US sanctions have if they never buy anything from us anyway?).

China in the meantime has quietly said "I don't think you should do this" to NK, and a month ago fired off a missile to take down "an obsolete weather satellite" They never threatened, they simply showed NK that their nuke would never leave their airspace intact and that coming to a sensible agreement was in their best interest.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

A missile that can take down a satellite(A relatively predictable and somewhat stationary target.) is not necessarily something that can take down another missile. I think that's a wrong link to draw, if anything, the anti-satellite missile is waving The Finger at the US.

See, the latest generation of US ICBM's(If I remember right) tends to use GPS guidance rather than radio guidance, meaning that if the PRC can take down GPS satellites, US ICBM's would be hurting for proper guidance in a nuclear stand-off or war.

I agree, however, that China likely had more clout with North Korea than the US. If anything, North Korea would never want to back down from the Imperialists.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
A missile that can take down a satellite(A relatively predictable and somewhat stationary target.) is not necessarily something that can take down another missile. I think that's a wrong link to draw, if anything, the anti-satellite missile is waving The Finger at the US.
While that is true, it also showed a pretty clear message to NK, and don't forget other factors, like the sophisticated missile tech that Clinton sold the chinese back in '97-98. China may not have too much to lose if NK brings down airstrikes that turn the country into slag, they also have other plans in the works and a jumpy Kim Jong Il could very well upset them.

A bit of reading between the lines is required when it comes to China. (as well as observing several months of behavior to guess at what they're really up to)

[ 02-15-2007, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 02-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Seems to be a pretty decent deal for NoKor - they managed to convert a half-working, unreliable nuclear weapons program (which is useless in practical terms) into something that can possibly genuinely help their country and their people (assuming all that aid goes to the people and not to Kim's pockets). Getting the nuke (even if it didn't really work) made them a player. Would this deal have been done if they hadn't conducted that test?

Sets a dangerous precedent for other nations around the world though, if you have to get a nuke to be taken seriously.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Maybe, but getting a nuke will surely get you noticed. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:

See, the latest generation of US ICBM's(If I remember right) tends to use GPS guidance rather than radio guidance, meaning that if the PRC can take down GPS satellites, US ICBM's would be hurting for proper guidance in a nuclear stand-off or war.

I agree, however, that China likely had more clout with North Korea than the US. If anything, North Korea would never want to back down from the Imperialists.
At times..
Then again... Our secrets are just that. Our latest generation of ICBMs?? Have you allowed a small treaty to bypass you? When we signed that one many years ago, we have followed it in truthfulness. We have not upgraded ICBMs since.

However, the tactical missiles are a completely different set of rules. And those.......

Situations like this require a different approach. That's why we invented and never sold the anti-missile missile. Proven and capable of dropping other missiles while in flight.
There are reasons why we have bases where we have them!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Ahh...so the little brother finally listened to big brother's advice ehh? China does have a purpose afterall. I'm impress.

Anyway, US shouldn't waste time with Iran. If US is so eager want to attack another country. They should attack NK with full force. Possibly nuking every NK soil inch by inch. NK is good for nothing anyway.

[ 02-17-2007, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #10
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Nuke North Korea and you irradiate China and South Korea. China can destroy the US as readily as the US can destroy China, and South Korea is an ally.

An air campaign is as unlikely to stop or destroy North Korea as harsh words, and a ground campaign is suicide.

The only sensible recourse is diplomacy.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote